Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 13A sockets useless for charging electric cars?

harry wrote:

The purpose of dedicated chargers is so that in the future, they can be separately metered and taxed.

Sounds like openEVSE is a good thing then ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Friday, 7 June 2019 05:48:23 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Most dedicated home chargers normally need a circuit supplying 6 to
7kW.

New video on EV charging from mikeselectricstuff

https://youtu.be/jT8IsAd9ea0

The purpose of dedicated chargers is so that in the
future, they can be separately metered and taxed.

Bull****. They arent separately metered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 18:41:38 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

New video on EV charging from mikeselectricstuff

https://youtu.be/jT8IsAd9ea0

The purpose of dedicated chargers is so that in the
future, they can be separately metered and taxed.

Bull****. They arent separately metered.

He talked about the future, you senile "argumentative asshole"!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 June 2019 16:19:08 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Yeah, there is a lot of controversy about that, even with say
just the battery type used in smartphones now. I'm not aware
of any test for years with say recharging once it gets below
70% and say once it gets below 20% to see which battery
has the better life after say 3 years.

A friend bought his iphone6 nov. 2015 and has just had the battery replaced after 3.5 years and he is always recharging, if he's phone drops below ~75% he puts it on charge.

Thought everything Apple was state of the art?

Where did you get that idea ?

My Samsung S5 - about 5 years old - is just charged overnight, unless
needed more frequently. Battery life still about as good as new.

Perhaps he didn't want a Samsung S5 even if it can last 5 years.
he refused to update to the latest OS a couple of years ago because he didn't like the new icons and yes he does have OCD.
His very fussy about his phone and that is why he doesn't have a Samsung I guess as other friends have them and he's never liked the 'look' or 'feel'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Yeah, there is a lot of controversy about that, even with say
just the battery type used in smartphones now. I'm not aware
of any test for years with say recharging once it gets below
70% and say once it gets below 20% to see which battery
has the better life after say 3 years.

A friend bought his iphone6 nov. 2015 and has just had the battery replaced after 3.5 years and he is always recharging, if he's phone drops below ~75% he puts it on charge.

Probably because he could under the battery replacement programme - I
did. He would be constantly recharging if he won't use the phone below
75% charge. Completely unnecessary.

Thought everything Apple was state of the art?

Not at all. A lot of their new hardware tends to use one generation old
tech where the comparison can be made. For example, the September launch
of the new iPhone is unlikely to have 5G.

Where did you get that idea ?

My Samsung S5 - about 5 years old - is just charged overnight, unless
needed more frequently. Battery life still about as good as new.

My iPhone's battery was down to 80% after 5 years. About 100% after 5
years is astonishingly good.

Perhaps he didn't want a Samsung S5 even if it can last 5 years.
he refused to update to the latest OS a couple of years ago because he didn't like the new icons and yes he does have OCD.
His very fussy about his phone and that is why he doesn't have a Samsung I guess as other friends have them and he's never liked the 'look' or 'feel'

OCD or not, I think a lot of it is down to that.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article s,
Bill wrote:
My Samsung S5 - about 5 years old - is just charged overnight, unless
needed more frequently. Battery life still about as good as new.

Hmmm, I have 3 devices here - a smartphone, a dashcam and an old Palm
Zire - where the batteries have become obese and pushed the casing open.
I assume the next stage is the unstoppable fire.

Just wondering how good the chargers are?

I vape, and the device I use has a single 18650 cell. Which lasts a day.
Recharged over night. That too has lasted very well indeed. Unlike
Ni-Cads, etc. Which never seemed to make their claimed number of cycles in
practice.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 June 2019 17:52:07 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
But why only do it once per week ?
E7 is every night of the week. I put my ipad and phone and even ipod on
charge anytime when E7 is active if anyhting is less than 70% charged
otherwise I don't really bother.

I don't want to dissuade you from trying to load balance,

Is that like wanking with both hands ;-)

but the battery in
a phone is about 10Wh and up to 40Wh for a tablet. If a delta of 10p
between E7 rates (the lowest tariff in a recent search was 13.5p/10.5p per
kWh, which is only a delta of 3p), that's saving you 0.1p for the phone and
0.4p for the tablet.

I know every penny counts and all, but...

But that isn't why I do it.

See I don't like using my iPad or iphone while it's beening charged the lead gets in the way, so I tend to charge them when I'm not likely to be using them.
As I tend to go to bed about 1am on average, that is when I usually charge my devices when I'm not likely to be using them.

Last night my ipad was about at ~28% so at 1:20am I put it on charge and went to bed.

If I do need to I do charge them during the day, but I find it difficult charging my iphone during the day when it's in my pocket as that means I have to stand near a mains socket and not move too far from it.

If I don't concider they need a charge I tend not to go to the corner of the room where my chargers are and connect the them up and start charging as that is wasting my energy.

Do you really refill you petrol/diesel tank everytime it drops below 70% ?
Seems a bit too much like hard work to me.

But I think if I did have an electric car I do think I would use E7 for charging it whenever possible, and minimise charging it during the day.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 June 2019 18:20:49 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Tim Streater Wrote in message:
In article , Scott
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 20:22:52 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Scott
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 14:12:13 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 12:26:25 +0100, Terry Casey
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Most supply cables to houses are shared with lots of other houses and
sized for an average loading. If lot of those house occupiers buy an
electric vehicle, they will likely all want to charge them overnight.
The average load will be increased several fold. Loading on the
sub-station will be increased severalfold.

Not a problem.

We haven't got the generating capacity to meet this increase
in demand so just make sure you've got a good stock of candles
in before the stocks run out.

Will they not be banned also for emitting CO2?

What about mirrors in space to reflect a proportion of the sunlight
away?

like the moon?

No. Like the one in my bathroom, but bigger.

Your bathroom's in space?

No, but why is the Starship Enterprise like a toilet roll? Both
travel round Uranus looking for clingons.

I first heard that one 40 years ago.

Farty years ago shurely?

and it is Klingons !

and uranus rotates at a diffent angle to most planets so you may need to wipe in a differnt direction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Most dedicated home chargers normally need a circuit supplying 6 to 7kW.

New video on EV charging from mikeselectricstuff

https://youtu.be/jT8IsAd9ea0

The purpose of dedicated chargers is so that in the future, they can be separately metered and taxed.

That could be a problem as none of them have any means to do so.
Who is going to pay to replace them with ones that do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article s,
Bill wrote:
My Samsung S5 - about 5 years old - is just charged overnight, unless
needed more frequently. Battery life still about as good as new.

Hmmm, I have 3 devices here - a smartphone, a dashcam and an old Palm
Zire - where the batteries have become obese and pushed the casing open.
I assume the next stage is the unstoppable fire.

Just wondering how good the chargers are?

I vape, and the device I use has a single 18650 cell. Which lasts a day.
Recharged over night. That too has lasted very well indeed. Unlike
Ni-Cads, etc. Which never seemed to make their claimed number of cycles in
practice.

Well, the Palm has its own charger that looks big and good, the
smartphone used its typical Chinese charger, and the dashcam used the
charger that it came with until that charger died.

I then started to use it via a car adapter that displays usb volts and
current and vehicle voltage. I have one of these in each car, and they
seem excellent. The battery expansion occurred when using the second,
metered, charger. Other things plugged in to these adapters, in either
car , have been Ok.

I've binned the Palm and smartphone. The dashcam is running without
battery (so forgets time and date etc), and I put the battery away
safely somewhere until I can re-use the connector when I find a
replacement. As always, I've forgotten where the safe place is.
Hopefully, I'll find it before the conflagration.

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Yeah, there is a lot of controversy about that, even with say
just the battery type used in smartphones now. I'm not aware
of any test for years with say recharging once it gets below
70% and say once it gets below 20% to see which battery
has the better life after say 3 years.

A friend bought his iphone6 nov. 2015 and has just had the battery replaced after 3.5 years and he is always recharging, if he's phone drops below ~75% he puts it on charge.

Probably because he could under the battery replacement programme

No he went to a local shop they did it while he waited for about £34.

- I
did. He would be constantly recharging if he won't use the phone below
75% charge. Completely unnecessary.

No his used the phone all the way down to zero, if he has to , it;s just when he is near a charger he charges.

Thought everything Apple was state of the art?

Not at all.

he my friend did think like that he thought apple products NEVER went wrong and that is why they are more expensive, I sorted that that belief out.

I explained to him how semiconductors in phones are made of the same materials, just like anything else.

A lot of their new hardware tends to use one generation old
tech where the comparison can be made. For example, the September launch
of the new iPhone is unlikely to have 5G.

They like to wait until something is tried and tested and working properly.
It's also way NASA use old tech.

Where did you get that idea ?

My Samsung S5 - about 5 years old - is just charged overnight, unless
needed more frequently. Battery life still about as good as new.

My iPhone's battery was down to 80% after 5 years. About 100% after 5
years is astonishingly good.

yes and it's difficult to know individual usage.

Perhaps he didn't want a Samsung S5 even if it can last 5 years.
he refused to update to the latest OS a couple of years ago because he didn't like the new icons and yes he does have OCD.
His very fussy about his phone and that is why he doesn't have a Samsung I guess as other friends have them and he's never liked the 'look' or 'feel'

OCD or not, I think a lot of it is down to that.

well when he places his phone on my coffee table it has to be straight and then his CC/oyster card placed neatly on top, maybe that is unusal, me, I just throw my phone on a sofa or chair that I'll be sitting on or next too.
Apparently he even folds his socks and keeps pairs together !!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2019 14:05, whisky-dave wrote:

Do you really refill you petrol/diesel tank everytime it drops below 70% ?
Seems a bit too much like hard work to me.

The answer might be yes, if there were very few filling stations, and
the queue to get in one during the day was 40 mins.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Rumm
wrote:
On 07/06/2019 14:05, whisky-dave wrote:

Do you really refill you petrol/diesel tank everytime it drops below
70% ? Seems a bit too much like hard work to me.

The answer might be yes, if there were very few filling stations, and
the queue to get in one during the day was 40 mins.

It's certainly what people did when there was a tanker drivers' strike.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2019 14:57, charles wrote:
In article , John Rumm
wrote:
On 07/06/2019 14:05, whisky-dave wrote:

Do you really refill you petrol/diesel tank everytime it drops below
70% ? Seems a bit too much like hard work to me.

The answer might be yes, if there were very few filling stations, and
the queue to get in one during the day was 40 mins.

It's certainly what people did when there was a tanker drivers' strike.

For the last couple, my car was full, as was my wife's, my kit-car and
three cans (one an illegal 20l one).

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 20:22:52 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Scott
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 14:12:13 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Okay, I withdraw the attempt at humour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 June 2019 14:09:23 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/06/2019 14:05, whisky-dave wrote:

Do you really refill you petrol/diesel tank everytime it drops below 70% ?
Seems a bit too much like hard work to me.

The answer might be yes, if there were very few filling stations, and
the queue to get in one during the day was 40 mins.

So in reality a no then .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2019 11:35, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 8 June 2019 14:09:23 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/06/2019 14:05, whisky-dave wrote:

Do you really refill you petrol/diesel tank everytime it drops below 70% ?
Seems a bit too much like hard work to me.

The answer might be yes, if there were very few filling stations, and
the queue to get in one during the day was 40 mins.

So in reality a no then .

Correct, that's because there are lots of filling stations, and they can
provide a full "charge" in a few mins. It takes no planning to make a
long trip in a petrol or diesel car.

Not a situation that EV drivers can as yet enjoy, hence my thought
experiment to level the playing field a bit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 June 2019 19:30:59 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/06/2019 11:35, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 8 June 2019 14:09:23 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/06/2019 14:05, whisky-dave wrote:

Do you really refill you petrol/diesel tank everytime it drops below 70% ?
Seems a bit too much like hard work to me.

The answer might be yes, if there were very few filling stations, and
the queue to get in one during the day was 40 mins.

So in reality a no then .

Correct, that's because there are lots of filling stations, and they can
provide a full "charge" in a few mins. It takes no planning to make a
long trip in a petrol or diesel car.

Not a situation that EV drivers can as yet enjoy, hence my thought
experiment to level the playing field a bit.

But EV drivers can add a full charge to their vehicle without having to leave the house or garage and do so while sleeping. Something petrol or diesel car owners can't do, but they do get to sniff their fuel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
05:11:46 on Fri, 14 Jun 2019, whisky-dave
remarked:
[...]

Nor can EV drivers who don't have a garage, or other off-street parking
adjacent to their homes. Flat/maisonette dwellers are particularly
likely to suffer from the non-adjacency, as are those on estates where
the shared off-street parking is some distance from the house.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 June 2019 14:09:23 UTC+1, John RummÂ* wrote:
[...]

And stopping at a garage while you are passing (or, as I am going to do
later, filling up at the supermarket while I am there to shop) is
probably as quick for a once a week fill as plugging in the car a few
times - and you'll have to do thatevery night if there is any chance of
you ever suddenly getting a call which needs you to travel some
distance. With petrol of diesel you can stick to once a week, once a
fortnight, whatever suits you, but knowing that you can set off
immediately on a journey of many hundreds of miles if you need to.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2019 13:11, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

Some can but not all. Firstly you are assuming the EV owner has ready
access to charging facilities where they park. Probably true while EVs
are playthings for the wealthy virtue signallers, but not going to be
the case when they are more mainstream. Also note that EVs with more
useful battery capacities may well have difficulty reaching full charge
overnight at domestic charging rates.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Neighbour got an E Golf in January and a home charging point by his
off-road parking area where he can easily manage to park 4 cars.
His daily commute is about 45 mile round trip and most days an additional
evening activity such as 7 aside football adds about another 20 well within
capacity of the vehicle,trouble is he is not most disciplined person
and frequently forgets to plug the car in.
That has meant a near thing on doing a second day and one occasion he had
to work from home after forgetting two nights in a row. Fortunately he runs
his own business * and not going to the office is
a decision he can make,an employed person would have to an understanding
employer if it happened often.
While his inability to discipline himself is his own problem I reckon there
will be some domestic arguments in the future when spouses argue with each
other and older children about who and when should have connected up. Not
unusual to have a four car household nowadays with older offspring still
living at home and that means a charger will be in use constantly and it
will be a disciplined household to manage without someone making mistakes
occasionally.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2019 13:11, whisky-dave wrote:

But EV drivers can add a full charge to their vehicle without having to leave the house or garage and do so while sleeping.

Around my way most cars are parked on the road rather than in a
householders driveway so the current practically of charging
overnight is somewhat limited.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Marland wrote:
That has meant a near thing on doing a second day and one occasion he had
to work from home after forgetting two nights in a row. Fortunately he runs
his own business * and not going to the office is
a decision he can make,an employed person would have to an understanding
employer if it happened often.

Must be a sign of the times. My car doesn't work, so I'll have to stay off
work. Madness.

--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Marland wrote:
That has meant a near thing on doing a second day and one occasion he had
to work from home after forgetting two nights in a row. Fortunately he runs
his own business * and not going to the office is
a decision he can make,an employed person would have to an understanding
employer if it happened often.

Must be a sign of the times. My car doesn't work, so I'll have to stay off
work. Madness.

Well, he actually worked from home which has he has done for the best part
of 10 years so he wasnt skiving.

The office came with a recent purchase of a business accompanied by a
couple of employees so for the time being while he gets to know them he
likes to be there but they can get by with him teleworking.
So he wasnt skiving . Unfortunately there is no practical way to install a
charger at the office and ATM the small town has a dearth of public
chargers though it does a have a hill famous in a Hovis advert that
pretends to be up North as the real North wasnt good enough.

My concern is that he and his wife may move closer to the new venture, when
neighbours move you never know who may replace them and if they will be as
easy to get on with as the existing.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 19:30:56 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

It takes no planning to make a long trip in a petrol or diesel car.

That depends where you live. Niether local garages (2.5 miles) are
open 24/7. Next nearest petrol stations are over 20 miles away and
aren't 24/7 either. Carlisle at over 30 miles has a Tesco (M6 J43)
that might be 24/7. There is a Asda which, I think, will be 24/7.

On the basis that I could receive a call at anytime to be 100+ miles
away "as soon as possible" I always plan to have over 100 miles of
range left when I arrive home.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 23:08:26 on Sun, 16
Jun 2019, Marland remarked:

While his inability to discipline himself is his own problem I reckon there
will be some domestic arguments in the future when spouses argue with each
other and older children about who and when should have connected up.

I can't even train mine to put the bins out on well known days.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in :

On 03/06/2019 15:20, DerbyBorn wrote:
wrote in :

https://www.zap-map.com/charge-point...ectors-speeds/

I hadn't realised that the car takes AC.. How does it work with 3phase
?

There isn't much tech info available but my guess is that there's the
usual 3-phase rectifier to a DC bus and then an inverter to generate
whatever is needed to charge the battery. I vaguely recall that the HV
battery in my car operates at 130V, but I can't find the info to confirm
that.

3Phase leads at an external installation? What could go wrong?