Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default 13A sockets useless for charging electric cars?

On 14/06/2019 13:11, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 13 June 2019 19:30:59 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/06/2019 11:35, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 8 June 2019 14:09:23 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/06/2019 14:05, whisky-dave wrote:

Do you really refill you petrol/diesel tank everytime it
drops below 70% ? Seems a bit too much like hard work to me.

The answer might be yes, if there were very few filling
stations, and the queue to get in one during the day was 40
mins.

So in reality a no then .

Correct, that's because there are lots of filling stations, and
they can provide a full "charge" in a few mins. It takes no
planning to make a long trip in a petrol or diesel car.

Not a situation that EV drivers can as yet enjoy, hence my thought
experiment to level the playing field a bit.

But EV drivers can add a full charge to their vehicle without having
to leave the house or garage and do so while sleeping. Something
petrol or diesel car owners can't do, but they do get to sniff their
fuel.

Some can but not all. Firstly you are assuming the EV owner has ready
access to charging facilities where they park. Probably true while EVs
are playthings for the wealthy virtue signallers, but not going to be
the case when they are more mainstream. Also note that EVs with more
useful battery capacities may well have difficulty reaching full charge
overnight at domestic charging rates.

--
Cheers,

John.