Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default 13A sockets useless for charging electric cars?

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article s,
Bill wrote:
My Samsung S5 - about 5 years old - is just charged overnight, unless
needed more frequently. Battery life still about as good as new.

Hmmm, I have 3 devices here - a smartphone, a dashcam and an old Palm
Zire - where the batteries have become obese and pushed the casing open.
I assume the next stage is the unstoppable fire.

Just wondering how good the chargers are?

I vape, and the device I use has a single 18650 cell. Which lasts a day.
Recharged over night. That too has lasted very well indeed. Unlike
Ni-Cads, etc. Which never seemed to make their claimed number of cycles in
practice.

Well, the Palm has its own charger that looks big and good, the
smartphone used its typical Chinese charger, and the dashcam used the
charger that it came with until that charger died.

I then started to use it via a car adapter that displays usb volts and
current and vehicle voltage. I have one of these in each car, and they
seem excellent. The battery expansion occurred when using the second,
metered, charger. Other things plugged in to these adapters, in either
car , have been Ok.

I've binned the Palm and smartphone. The dashcam is running without
battery (so forgets time and date etc), and I put the battery away
safely somewhere until I can re-use the connector when I find a
replacement. As always, I've forgotten where the safe place is.
Hopefully, I'll find it before the conflagration.

--
Bill