Lawrence Zarb

Default Maplin 13A remote control sockets

It seems to be an excellent idea, but I cannot think of any really
practical use for them....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...=F&modulecode=

does anyone have any really practical uses for these??

Lurch

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:29:49 +0000 (UTC), "Lawrence Zarb"
strung together this:

does anyone have any really practical uses for these??

I got some of these from Wickes years ago. I found two uses for them,
one use was christmas lights and the other was a bit unneccesary but I
used them for a bedside light, it saved reaching a further 6" from the
bed to do it manually!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Nick Austin

wrote:

It seems to be an excellent idea, but I cannot think of any really
practical use for them....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...=F&modulecode=

does anyone have any really practical uses for these??

I use something similar to control a video sender and also
wireless headphones.

Nick.

John Flax

"Lawrence Zarb" wrote in message
news:7d9d17cbd35a6a86e0fb463f08f6769b.52329@mygate .mailgate.org...
It seems to be an excellent idea, but I cannot think of any really
practical use for them....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...=F&modulecode=

does anyone have any really practical uses for these??

Very useful for people in a wheelchair or confined to bed.

Ian Middleton

"Lawrence Zarb" wrote in message
news:7d9d17cbd35a6a86e0fb463f08f6769b.52329@mygate .mailgate.org...
It seems to be an excellent idea, but I cannot think of any really
practical use for them....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...=F&modulecode=

does anyone have any really practical uses for these??

My brother uses his to turn on his sons bottle warmer on in the kitchen when
his son wakes for his nightly feed.

mogga

wrote:

It seems to be an excellent idea, but I cannot think of any really
practical use for them....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...=F&modulecode=

does anyone have any really practical uses for these??

Resetting ntl box which is situated downstairs
Apparently it works quite well.

--
Free stuff by post
http://www.freestuffbypost.co.uk
Colum Mylod

wrote:

It seems to be an excellent idea, but I cannot think of any really
practical use for them....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...=F&modulecode=

Should one's other half be a fan of individual lights dotted around
the room instead of the one simple bright ceiling light, that remote
control saves cabling sockets to a central point, or running around
trying to find the inline switch on each lamp.

It also allows me to run energy saving lights and have the controller
high up away from sprog who for some reason believes energy saving
lights should be switched on & off rapidly until they pop (an event he
partook in during office hours..)

--
New ant-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com
Tim \(Remove NOSPAM.

wrote:

It seems to be an excellent idea, but I cannot think of any really
practical use for them....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...39492&moduleno

=42504&Addon=F&modulecode=

Should one's other half be a fan of individual lights dotted around
the room instead of the one simple bright ceiling light, that remote
control saves cabling sockets to a central point, or running around
trying to find the inline switch on each lamp.

It also allows me to run energy saving lights and have the controller
high up away from sprog who for some reason believes energy saving
lights should be switched on & off rapidly until they pop (an event he
partook in during office hours..)

LOL!!!

Pete C

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:29:17 +0100, Colum Mylod
wrote:

It also allows me to run energy saving lights and have the controller
high up away from sprog who for some reason believes energy saving
lights should be switched on & off rapidly until they pop (an event he
partook in during office hours..)

Hi,

Maybe said sprog would like to pay for new ones with their pocket
money.

cheers,
Pete.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...02639492&modul
eno=42504&Addon=F&modulecode=

does anyone have any really practical uses for these??

I use them for remote switching different garden lighting.

I also have a wall fan which is pointed at the bottom of my bed connected
to one - if I wake up and my feet are hot, I just turn on the fan.

I also have one as a remote dimmer switch for wall lights.

Roger
(my reader sometimes loses mail/newsgroup messages
- if you think you should have had a reply/comment,
please e-mail me again. Ta!)

raden

In message , mogga
writes

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/mod...002639492&modu
leno=42504&Addon=F&modulecode=

does anyone have any really practical uses for these??

Resetting ntl box which is situated downstairs
Apparently it works quite well.

Now there's a sensible idea

--
geoff
Lurch

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:06:14 +0000 (UTC), " Tim \(Remove NOSPAM."
strung together this:

It seems to be an excellent idea, but I cannot think of any really
practical use for them....

I can't find the OP so I'll stick it here, sorry!

At last, I've found a use for them! I've got a laserjet network
printer that is fairly power hungry on standby and it's in another
room so I've dug out my remote control sockets that have been stashed
in a drawer somewhere for years and plugged them in. Now I can turn
the printer on without getting up from the PC!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Set Square

Lurch wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:06:14 +0000 (UTC), " Tim \(Remove NOSPAM."
strung together this:

It seems to be an excellent idea, but I cannot think of any really
practical use for them....

I can't find the OP so I'll stick it here, sorry!

At last, I've found a use for them! I've got a laserjet network
printer that is fairly power hungry on standby and it's in another
room so I've dug out my remote control sockets that have been stashed
in a drawer somewhere for years and plugged them in. Now I can turn
the printer on without getting up from the PC!

We use ours for several things which are powered from sockets in 'awkward'
places. The best one is an outside light which lights our pond area and
which is powered from a socket in an upstairs bedroom. With the remote
control, we can switch it on from the lounge. Visitors are *very* impressed!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Bernard Peek

In message , Set Square
writes
Lurch wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:06:14 +0000 (UTC), " Tim \(Remove NOSPAM."
strung together this:

It seems to be an excellent idea, but I cannot think of any really
practical use for them....

I can't find the OP so I'll stick it here, sorry!

At last, I've found a use for them! I've got a laserjet network
printer that is fairly power hungry on standby and it's in another
room so I've dug out my remote control sockets that have been stashed
in a drawer somewhere for years and plugged them in. Now I can turn
the printer on without getting up from the PC!

We use ours for several things which are powered from sockets in 'awkward'
places. The best one is an outside light which lights our pond area and
which is powered from a socket in an upstairs bedroom. With the remote
control, we can switch it on from the lounge. Visitors are *very* impressed!

I've got a light in the downstairs fireplace fed from a socket in the
loft.

--
Bernard Peek

PJ

I've got a light in the downstairs fireplace fed from a socket in the
loft.

Well I've got a light in a tree in the front garden which is fed from a
socket in my next door but one neighbours garden shed!

And i used to have a light which was fed from a nearby street lamp post.
Then again the whole bloody house was fed from the lamp post!

Lurch

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 10:20:11 +0100, "PJ"
strung together this:

I've got a light in the downstairs fireplace fed from a socket in the
loft.

Well I've got a light in a tree in the front garden which is fed from a
socket in my next door but one neighbours garden shed!

And i used to have a light which was fed from a nearby street lamp post.
Then again the whole bloody house was fed from the lamp post!

Are the full versions of these stories in the book "weird adventures
in diy"?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Roy S Schestowitz

PJ wrote:

I've got a light in the downstairs fireplace fed from a socket in the
loft.

Well I've got a light in a tree in the front garden which is fed from a
socket in my next door but one neighbours garden shed!

And i used to have a light which was fed from a nearby street lamp post.
Then again the whole bloody house was fed from the lamp post!

Next best thing to getting your water from a nearby sewer. Just buy a large
enough pump and you're on your way...

Roy
Lurch

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:42:32 GMT, Chris J Dixon
strung together this:

All was well until I had to knock the power off last weekend - it
now needs to re-learn the transmitter code. Currently searching
for the instructions :-(

Obviously not the same as the one's that the OP pointed to, or the
one's that I have, as the code is set by dip switches so no learning
to be had. Yours are abviously over-engineered!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Chris J Dixon

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:06:14 +0000 (UTC), " Tim \(Remove NOSPAM."
strung together this:

It seems to be an excellent idea, but I cannot think of any really
practical use for them....

I use one for my PC & peripherals, so that I don't have to crawl
behind the workstation to turn off at the socket.

All was well until I had to knock the power off last weekend - it
now needs to re-learn the transmitter code. Currently searching
for the instructions :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Maplin Remote Control Via Mobile Phone John Stumbles UK diy 6 January 13th 04 05:30 PM
remote control gaz UK diy 3 December 24th 03 08:54 PM
Smartheat Economy7 Control System Darren Sellers UK diy 5 October 23rd 03 08:52 PM