Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 13A sockets useless for charging electric cars?

On Thursday, 6 June 2019 17:52:07 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
But why only do it once per week ?
E7 is every night of the week. I put my ipad and phone and even ipod on
charge anytime when E7 is active if anyhting is less than 70% charged
otherwise I don't really bother.

I don't want to dissuade you from trying to load balance,

Is that like wanking with both hands ;-)

but the battery in
a phone is about 10Wh and up to 40Wh for a tablet. If a delta of 10p
between E7 rates (the lowest tariff in a recent search was 13.5p/10.5p per
kWh, which is only a delta of 3p), that's saving you 0.1p for the phone and
0.4p for the tablet.

I know every penny counts and all, but...

But that isn't why I do it.

See I don't like using my iPad or iphone while it's beening charged the lead gets in the way, so I tend to charge them when I'm not likely to be using them.
As I tend to go to bed about 1am on average, that is when I usually charge my devices when I'm not likely to be using them.

Last night my ipad was about at ~28% so at 1:20am I put it on charge and went to bed.

If I do need to I do charge them during the day, but I find it difficult charging my iphone during the day when it's in my pocket as that means I have to stand near a mains socket and not move too far from it.

If I don't concider they need a charge I tend not to go to the corner of the room where my chargers are and connect the them up and start charging as that is wasting my energy.

Do you really refill you petrol/diesel tank everytime it drops below 70% ?
Seems a bit too much like hard work to me.

But I think if I did have an electric car I do think I would use E7 for charging it whenever possible, and minimise charging it during the day.

Theo