Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Imperial socket sets still being sold?!

I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one. Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for? My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial!* What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake.* I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Still plenty of new stuff being sold using imperial. New rotary lawn
mower - the bolt that holds the blade on has a 9/16 inch head.
I expect if it has a Briggs and Stratten (USA) engine it will be all
imperial.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 19:02:16 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson",
"Steven ******","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.), the pathological
resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs, blathered again:

FLUSH the sociopathic attention whore's latest idiotic attention-baiting
bull**** unread again

--
about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a ****ing moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his **** is so grand he has the right to
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:08:01 +0000, Andy Bennet, another retarded,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

Still plenty of new stuff being sold using imperial. New rotary lawn
mower - the bolt that holds the blade on has a 9/16 inch head.
I expect if it has a Briggs and Stratten (USA) engine it will be all
imperial.

I expect there can be no bait set out by the Scottish ****** that would be
silly enough for you NOT to take it, you troll-feeding senile idiot!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:08:01 -0000, Andy Bennet wrote:

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Still plenty of new stuff being sold using imperial. New rotary lawn
mower - the bolt that holds the blade on has a 9/16 inch head.
I expect if it has a Briggs and Stratten (USA) engine it will be all
imperial.

I've never had to use an imperial socket bit. Perhaps if you have every size (each mm), then one will always fit. Being 0.5mm out probably still fits good enough.

Your mower would be 14.2875mm then. I assume you can't quite get the 14mm socket bit onto it? I guess 0.75mm too big would maybe jump.

I'm really surprised your mower is imperial though. What make is it and why are they in the wrong century? Bloody hell my first car was a (British) 1988 Rover, and even they used metric bolts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 20:08, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last
one. Half the bits are imperial!* What the hell are they selling those
for? My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for
goodness sake.* I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage
car owners.

Still plenty of new stuff being sold using imperial. New rotary lawn
mower - the bolt that holds the blade on has a 9/16 inch head.
I expect if it has a Briggs and Stratten (USA) engine it will be all
imperial.

A lot of disability scooters are imperial.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial!* What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake.* I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket set.

Are you illiterate?

Many imperial sockets have very close equivalents. I've even measured
1/2" sockets and they've been the same as a 13mm. I suspect the set you
bought was a cheap one, so you might even find some imperial sockets are
a better fit on metric nuts and bolts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 February 2019 20:59:20 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial!Â* What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake.Â* I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket set.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 25/02/2019 20:08, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Still plenty of new stuff being sold using imperial. New rotary lawn
mower - the bolt that holds the blade on has a 9/16 inch head.
I expect if it has a Briggs and Stratten (USA) engine it will be all
imperial.

A lot of disability scooters are imperial.

That's because there are so many morbidly obese yanks, too obese to even
walk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:59:16 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket set.

Are you illiterate?

No, I just expected them all to be metric by now.

Many imperial sockets have very close equivalents. I've even measured
1/2" sockets and they've been the same as a 13mm. I suspect the set you
bought was a cheap one, so you might even find some imperial sockets are
a better fit on metric nuts and bolts.

I just prefer to use mm, without having to do fractions calculations to work out if 9/16 is bigger or smaller than 19/32. Why don't they just make them all x/32?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:05:42 -0000, wrote:

On Monday, 25 February 2019 20:59:20 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket set.

Are you illiterate?

Many imperial sockets have very close equivalents. I've even measured
1/2" sockets and they've been the same as a 13mm. I suspect the set you
bought was a cheap one, so you might even find some imperial sockets are
a better fit on metric nuts and bolts.

He's just a troll.

Look you utter ****wit.... it was a perfectly sensible question, why can't you handle that concept? I wanted to know why people were selling imperial sockets since there are no imperial bolts left that haven't rusted away. But no, you have to come out with your stupid childish ****ing "you're a troll ner ner ner ner ner" ****e. Just grow up or rot in hell and stop filling up usenet with your ****ing complaints.

I've got metric, imperial AF, Whitworth, a few other standards, even one or 2 handmade ones from the 1800s. Some of the old stuff is good on metric kit too, mark everything with its mm AF size.

On what? An Austin Healy?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:52:32 -0000, Bill Wright wrote:

On 25/02/2019 20:08, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last
one. Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those
for? My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for
goodness sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage
car owners.

Still plenty of new stuff being sold using imperial. New rotary lawn
mower - the bolt that holds the blade on has a 9/16 inch head.
I expect if it has a Briggs and Stratten (USA) engine it will be all
imperial.

A lot of disability scooters are imperial.

Why? Because the owners are older?! That makes no sense at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOTS Alert!

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:59:16 +0000, Fredxx, another troll-feeding senile
idiot, blathered:

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket set.

Are you illiterate?

Nope, his just having fun with you senile idiots who KEEP taking every
single idiotic bait of his! The Scottish ****** is most likely surprised
that he succeeds time and again! BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:59:16 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket set.

Are you illiterate?

Many imperial sockets have very close equivalents. I've even measured
1/2" sockets and they've been the same as a 13mm. I suspect the set you
bought was a cheap one, so you might even find some imperial sockets are
a better fit on metric nuts and bolts.

Another thing, why do most socket sets stop at 13mm? 99% of the time, a socket set is used on a car. That needs way above 13mm. Wheelnuts are usually 17mm for example.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:59:16 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket set.

Are you illiterate?

Many imperial sockets have very close equivalents. I've even measured
1/2" sockets and they've been the same as a 13mm. I suspect the set you
bought was a cheap one, so you might even find some imperial sockets are
a better fit on metric nuts and bolts.

I won't be able to try, I've cancelled the order in disgust. All I want is a set of sockets that I can use on my car, that means metric, and large. Who the **** uses 7mm sockets?! Is that for a bicycle or something?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:59:16 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket set.

Are you illiterate?

Many imperial sockets have very close equivalents. I've even measured
1/2" sockets and they've been the same as a 13mm. I suspect the set you
bought was a cheap one, so you might even find some imperial sockets are
a better fit on metric nuts and bolts.

ROFL, found something else interesting. Why do people have locking wheelnuts on their cars when you can just remove them with this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113625989961
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 21:30, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

Pot kettle comes to mind.

it was a perfectly sensible question,

by an idiot who can't tell the difference between buying a metric socket
set and a mixed set.

why
can't you handle that concept?* I wanted to know why people were selling
imperial sockets since there are no imperial bolts left that haven't
rusted away.

As you're learning, but in denial of, there are still imperial bolts on
new equipment.

But no, you have to come out with your stupid childish
****ing "you're a troll ner ner ner ner ner" ****e.* Just grow up or rot
in hell and stop filling up usenet with your ****ing complaints.

That is because you act like a troll. If the hat fits..........

I've got metric, imperial AF, Whitworth, a few other standards, even
one or 2 handmade ones from the 1800s. Some of the old stuff is good
on metric kit too, mark everything with its mm AF size.

On what?* An Austin Healy?

Could well be a brand new Briggs and Stratton engine, something you
obviously know very little.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 21:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:59:16 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial!* What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake.* I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket
set.

Are you illiterate?

No, I just expected them all to be metric by now.

That's not very bright of you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 21:41, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:59:16 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial!* What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake.* I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket
set.

Are you illiterate?

Many imperial sockets have very close equivalents. I've even measured
1/2" sockets and they've been the same as a 13mm. I suspect the set you
bought was a cheap one, so you might even find some imperial sockets are
a better fit on metric nuts and bolts.

Another thing, why do most socket sets stop at 13mm?

Must be the sets you buy. I don't have this problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 21:47, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

I think a terminal on my alternator is 7mm. Perhaps you send your car to
the garage if anything complicated needs doing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:54:30 +0000, Fredxx, another brain dead trollfeeding
senile idiot, driveled again:

Look you utter ****wit....

Pot kettle comes to mind.

That's what you fools get for feeding the troll! Serves you right! LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:55:00 +0000, Fredxx, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

No, I just expected them all to be metric by now.

That's not very bright of you.

Considering how he succeeds with the most idiotic baits, it's almost kind of
clever. But then he's ONLY successful with the most senile morons here! G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:55:41 +0000, Fredxx, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

Another thing, why do most socket sets stop at 13mm?

Must be the sets you buy. I don't have this problem.

Right, YOUR problem, senile idiot, is resisting the dumbest he keeps setting
out for you!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:56:37 +0000, Fredxx, another brain damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

I think

If you only would, you senile troll-feeding idiot! tsk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:54:30 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

[...]

There shouldn't be. And I've never seen one. Not on a car anyway, which is where most socket sets are used.

But no, you have to come out with your stupid childish
****ing "you're a troll ner ner ner ner ner" ****e. Just grow up or rot
in hell and stop filling up usenet with your ****ing complaints.

That is because you act like a troll. If the hat fits..........

No, you just assume I'm one because you don't like my questions, my attitude, whatever. I'm not asking fake questions, and I can't see why anyone would do that, it would be an utterly pointless exercise.

I've got metric, imperial AF, Whitworth, a few other standards, even
one or 2 handmade ones from the 1800s. Some of the old stuff is good
on metric kit too, mark everything with its mm AF size.

On what? An Austin Healy?

Could well be a brand new Briggs and Stratton engine, something you
obviously know very little.

I prefer electric mowers. I live in the 21st century.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:55:00 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 21:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:59:16 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket
set.

Are you illiterate?

No, I just expected them all to be metric by now.

That's not very bright of you.

Clearly I'm ahead of the rest of the human race. I know the yanks are stuck with imperial, but I'd have thought the UK would be a bit more modern by now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:55:41 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

[...]

Type "socket set" into Ebay and see what you get.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 21:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I just prefer to use mm, without having to do fractions calculations to
work out if 9/16 is bigger or smaller than 19/32.

You really have problems with doubling a number?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:56:37 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

[...]

Yes, I have small bolts in a few places on the car, like the battery terminals, but the point is there are plenty around 15-19mm - as in ones that hold stuff together, like the engine mounts, the bolts that hold the alternator and starter motor on, the wheel nuts, etc. Most sets don't have those sizes. Why would anyone buy a set of socket bits that stop at 13mm? All sets should be a complete set, all the sizes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 22:28:24 -0000, soup wrote:

On 25/02/2019 21:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I just prefer to use mm, without having to do fractions calculations to
work out if 9/16 is bigger or smaller than 19/32.

You really have problems with doubling a number?

I don't have to with mm, why do you think we went metric? So you can seriously glance at a pile of socket bits and put them in order? You have to think for each one and perform a calculation. With mm, it's just 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 22:26, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:55:00 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 21:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:59:16 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last
one.
Half the bits are imperial!* What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake.* I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket
set.

Are you illiterate?

No, I just expected them all to be metric by now.

That's not very bright of you.

Clearly I'm ahead of the rest of the human race.

No, you're not bright enough to realise your not ahead of anyone else.
Deluded comes to mind.

I know the yanks are
stuck with imperial, but I'd have thought the UK would be a bit more
modern by now.

Most people in the UK can discern the difference between a metric socket
set and a mixed metric/imperial socket set. You are the exception.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 21:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:

ROFL, found something else interesting.* Why do people have locking
wheelnuts on their cars when you can just remove them with this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113625989961

Have you seen the reviews on that?

Reads like of two buyers neither got it to work.

Why the second one gave it three stars, when it wouldn't work as it was
the wrong size... ? I thought all wheel nuts were nominally the same
size (the 'lockable' ones pattern being within a 17 mm hex).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 22:27, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

I repeat, "Must be the sets you buy. I don't have this problem."

eBay has everything you need. You can't recognise that. It doesn't help
if you can't tell the difference between a metric socket set and a mixed
metric/imperial socket set.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 22:34:18 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

[...]

Metric supersedes imperial.

I know the yanks are
stuck with imperial, but I'd have thought the UK would be a bit more
modern by now.

Most people in the UK can discern the difference between a metric socket
set and a mixed metric/imperial socket set. You are the exception.

No, I assumed everyone else would be up to speed by now. Clearly most of you are still living in the past.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 22:38, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

In many cases, but not all.

I know the yanks are
stuck with imperial, but I'd have thought the UK would be a bit more
modern by now.

Most people in the UK can discern the difference between a metric socket
set and a mixed metric/imperial socket set. You are the exception.

No, I assumed everyone else would be up to speed by now.

You should assume your assumptions are likely to be wrong.

Clearly most
of you are still living in the past.

We live in the present, best that way instead of making stupid mistakes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 25/02/2019 21:28, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I just prefer to use mm, without having to do fractions calculations to
work out if 9/16 is bigger or smaller than 19/32.

You really have problems with doubling a number?

I don't have to with mm, why do you think we went metric?

Is that a yes? Perhaps you should consider having evening classes for
numeracy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 22:36:20 -0000, soup wrote:

On 25/02/2019 21:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:

ROFL, found something else interesting. Why do people have locking
wheelnuts on their cars when you can just remove them with this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113625989961

Have you seen the reviews on that?

Reads like of two buyers neither got it to work.

Why the second one gave it three stars, when it wouldn't work as it was
the wrong size... ? I thought all wheel nuts were nominally the same
size (the 'lockable' ones pattern being within a 17 mm hex).

I've never had a lockable wheelnut, so I don't have direct experience of them, but I would assume they're all different? As in you can't open your neighbour's front door with your key. If you could undo your neighbour's wheelnut with your wheelnut key, then everyone could very easily steal each other's wheels, making them utterly pointless. So I assume the above link is to a tool which destroys the wheelnut lock. If they're anything like those pathetic tools which remove screws with burred heads, they won't work, those just make an even bigger mess of the screw, you're better with a big drill bit.

I thought all wheelnuts were 17mm until I bought a Peugeot (that took 5 attempts to get a word which was close enough to Peugeot for the spellchecker to recognise it!) The French don't do standards - my Renault is the only car I've ever had which refuses to communicate with any OBD reader except a Renault one (which I would have thought was illegal, if only for emissions standards, which is why they invented OBD). Luckily the nearest Renault garage plugs it in for free :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 22:36:43 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

[...]

Why are they selling 1000s of sets which are outdated?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 22:41:29 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

[...]

Imperial has never superseded metric.

I know the yanks are
stuck with imperial, but I'd have thought the UK would be a bit more
modern by now.

Most people in the UK can discern the difference between a metric socket
set and a mixed metric/imperial socket set. You are the exception.

No, I assumed everyone else would be up to speed by now.

You should assume your assumptions are likely to be wrong.

So people are slower/thicker than I thought. Figures.

Clearly most of you are still living in the past.

We live in the present, best that way instead of making stupid mistakes.

If you use inches, you're in the past.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
On 25/02/2019 21:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:

ROFL, found something else interesting. Why do people have locking
wheelnuts on their cars when you can just remove them with this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113625989961

Have you seen the reviews on that?

Reads like of two buyers neither got it to work.

Why the second one gave it three stars, when it wouldn't work as it was
the wrong size... ? I thought all wheel nuts were nominally the same size

Nope, the ones on my trailer are different to the car.

(the 'lockable' ones pattern being within a 17 mm hex).