Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Imperial socket sets still being sold?!

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 09:41:39 -0000, Terry Casey wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 25/02/2019 21:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:

ROFL, found something else interesting. Why do people have locking
wheelnuts on their cars when you can just remove them with this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113625989961

Have you seen the reviews on that?

Reads like of two buyers neither got it to work.

Why the second one gave it three stars, when it wouldn't work as it was
the wrong size... ? I thought all wheel nuts were nominally the same
size (the 'lockable' ones pattern being within a 17 mm hex).

Maximum recommend air pressure 90 psi

?????

Why does this confuse you? Have you never heard of a compressor powered nut spinner? Have you never seen one in a garage when you're getting your tyres changed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 11:49:54 -0000, wrote:

On Monday, 25 February 2019 21:54:34 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2019 21:30, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:05:42 -0000, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 25 February 2019 20:59:20 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last
one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric
socket set.

Are you illiterate?

Many imperial sockets have very close equivalents. I've even measured
1/2" sockets and they've been the same as a 13mm. I suspect the set you
bought was a cheap one, so you might even find some imperial sockets are
a better fit on metric nuts and bolts.

He's just a troll.

Look you utter ****wit....

Pot kettle comes to mind.

it was a perfectly sensible question,

by an idiot who can't tell the difference between buying a metric socket
set and a mixed set.

why
can't you handle that concept? I wanted to know why people were selling
imperial sockets since there are no imperial bolts left that haven't
rusted away.

As you're learning, but in denial of, there are still imperial bolts on
new equipment.

and old

But no, you have to come out with your stupid childish
****ing "you're a troll ner ner ner ner ner" ****e. Just grow up or rot
in hell and stop filling up usenet with your ****ing complaints.

That is because you act like a troll. If the hat fits..........

I've got metric, imperial AF, Whitworth, a few other standards, even
one or 2 handmade ones from the 1800s. Some of the old stuff is good
on metric kit too, mark everything with its mm AF size.

On what? An Austin Healy?

Could well be a brand new Briggs and Stratton engine, something you
obviously know very little.

I've got lots of stuff with imperial hardware, mostly AF & Whitworth.

I'm 43 and have never ever seen anything requiring imperial ****. Just how antique is your stuff?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 11:04:18 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Still plenty of new stuff being sold using imperial. New rotary lawn
mower - the bolt that holds the blade on has a 9/16 inch head.
I expect if it has a Briggs and Stratten (USA) engine it will be all
imperial.

When you talk imperial, I think of BSW and Whitworth.

The US still uses American threads for some things, and they are measured
in inches. And the same socket size fits many older UK cars. With unified
threads.

But only an idiot would buy a socket set without making sure it covered
the sizes needed, and only those.

Why would I assume they're still making socket sets that fit things from the backward yanks, or for cars made 50 years ago?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 18:47:47 -0000, Steve Walker wrote:

In article ,
Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

Surely it's good to have both to hand anyway? Who knows when you may
come across an old item that you need to work on?

Anything that old belongs in the skip.

Maybe even when your hand-driver just won't move a smallish torx screw
and you need a 1/4" socket to allow the use of a small bar to get a bit
more torque? 6.35mm, just uncomfortably small for a 6.5mm socket ,
especially if a reasonable force or even shocking it is required.

What? Torx is in mm too.

I've certainly come across old, tight plumbing fittings that have been
built around after, are too rounded for a crude plumbing spanner and the
only way to undo them in the space has been to cut the pipe and use a
socket. Yes, I know there are other tools to do that, but if you've
already got an imperial socket set, you've got something that'll do the
job without having to stop and go out to buy something else.

Anything that old should be ripped out and replaced.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 18:51:06 -0000, Steve Walker wrote:

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:05:42 -0000, wrote:

[...]

There shouldn't be. And I've never seen one. Not on a car anyway,
which is where most socket sets are used.

But no, you have to come out with your stupid childish
****ing "you're a troll ner ner ner ner ner" ****e. Just grow up or rot
in hell and stop filling up usenet with your ****ing complaints.

That is because you act like a troll. If the hat fits..........

No, you just assume I'm one because you don't like my questions, my
attitude, whatever. I'm not asking fake questions, and I can't see why
anyone would do that, it would be an utterly pointless exercise.

I've got metric, imperial AF, Whitworth, a few other standards, even
one or 2 handmade ones from the 1800s. Some of the old stuff is good
on metric kit too, mark everything with its mm AF size.

On what? An Austin Healy?

Could well be a brand new Briggs and Stratton engine, something you
obviously know very little.

I prefer electric mowers. I live in the 21st century.

I have had three electric mowers over the years. All okay, but a real
effort if you let the grass get too long due to it raining at the wrong
times and life pressures.

Last year I was given a no-longer required petrol mower. It was a
revelation. I could do the whole of both lawns in a third of the time
and with no effort.

I've used petrol and electric. An electric slows down if it's thick grass, but a petrol just stalls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 19:57:04 -0000, charles wrote:

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

three years ago, I bought a ride-on mower. That saves me about 1 1/2 hours
and I'm less tired.

Fine if you're a rich ******* and have a huge lawn. If you ever get fed up, I'll swap houses with you free of charge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 18:47:39 -0000, David wrote:

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 22:51:05 +0000, Roger Hayter wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:

I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Cars aren't the only thing people use sockets on.

Having whipped through this Trollish thread I have noted one thing.

Most people seem to class American Forces (AF) sizes as Imperial.
Now there may be a hint in the name, but I didn't think that (officially)
the USA was classed as an Imperial power. Certainly not by the UK in the
1950s/1960s when AF sizes were more common. I think they may be classed as
Unified though.

Imperial to me would be the various Whitworth threads and heads, including
British Standard Fine (BSF).

I still have a few of these but haven't needed them recently.

Keep feeding the Trolls!

WTF are you on about? If it's in inches, it's imperial. If it's in mm, it's metric. We don't have another measurement, only mm and inches.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 00:56:20 -0000, wrote:

On Tuesday, 26 February 2019 13:12:54 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/02/2019 11:53, tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 25 February 2019 22:26:13 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:

8

You're either a troll or determined to argue over your clueless
assumptions. They amount to the same thing.

Have you just worked that out?

I've known it for ages, most here have. It's why I rarely respond to him.

Cant' work your killfile yet?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 11:53:13 -0000, wrote:

[...]

No they don't. The latter is just someone who disagrees with you. Is that too scary for you or something?

I've got metric, imperial AF, Whitworth, a few other standards, even
one or 2 handmade ones from the 1800s. Some of the old stuff is good
on metric kit too, mark everything with its mm AF size.

On what? An Austin Healy?

Could well be a brand new Briggs and Stratton engine, something you
obviously know very little.

I prefer electric mowers. I live in the 21st century.

I mostly don't.

Don't which? Two things were stated in that sentence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 February 2019 01:48:26 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 11:49:54 -0000, tabbypurr wrote:

I've got lots of stuff with imperial hardware, mostly AF & Whitworth.

I'm 43 and have never ever seen anything requiring imperial ****. Just how antique is your stuff?

From modern to 1920s mostly.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
I've got metric, imperial AF, Whitworth, a few other standards, even one
or 2 handmade ones from the 1800s. Some of the old stuff is good on
metric kit too, mark everything with its mm AF size.

I've got one small socket set - 1/4 and 3/8 drive - that has metric, AF
and BA. Rather rare.

I have a feeling I bought mine in Eveshamn High Street - I wonder why I ws
theer ;-)

I got mine from Cannons in Clapham. A large motor factors with a superb
tool department. All in a Gothic building. Long since moved and down
sized, though.

--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
Most people seem to class American Forces (AF) sizes as Imperial.

AF on a spanner refers to the Across Flats size in inches.

During WW2 unified threads were agreed so things could be produced in both
the US and UK. Although more based on the original American Fine threads
than UK ones. And used by much of the UK car industry until metrication in
the '70s.

Now
there may be a hint in the name, but I didn't think that (officially)
the USA was classed as an Imperial power. Certainly not by the UK in the
1950s/1960s when AF sizes were more common. I think they may be classed
as Unified though.

Imperial to me would be the various Whitworth threads and heads,
including British Standard Fine (BSF).

Yes - my first socket set which had BSW/BSF and AF sizes said Imperial and
Unified.

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
That's why I said "not the named slze, obviously". What I am getting at
is that several Whitwoth nuts in the series from about 1/8" to 5/8"
don't seem to have a crossflats size that fits a common AF spanner.
Surely I can't have dreamt this?

You haven't. But no different from metric. Some metric spanners may 'fit'
BSW or Unified nuts too.

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

*** Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

The back end of small, interchageable torx, screwdriver, hex bits are
all 1/4" not metric.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
American is not imperial,

Of course it is, they use inches, pounds, etc.

But some of their measures like a gallon are different to ours, so we
aren't imperial enough.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why would I assume they're still making socket sets that fit things from
the backward yanks, or for cars made 50 years ago?

The Rover V8 engine used Unified threads mainly UNC. Plenty of those still
around in Range Rovers, etc.

But I doubt you'd need then for your Corsa.

--
*The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

The square drive on the OP's socket set is almost certainly Imperial.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 11:06:23 +0000 (GMT), Dave Blowman (News) another
notorious troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled again:

Of course it is, they use inches, pounds, etc.

But some of their measures like a gallon are different to ours, so we
aren't imperial enough.

Yet you are senile enough to feed the dumbest troll around! BG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 11:10:03 +0000 (GMT), Dave Blowman (News) another
notorious troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled again:

But I doubt you'd need then for your Corsa.

Right! All he needs is for you to come hurrying along and suck him off,
every time he set out some idiotic bait for all you seniles here! BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2019 23:00, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 22:49:21 -0000, newshound
wrote:

On 25/02/2019 20:08, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last
one. Half the bits are imperial!* What the hell are they selling those
for? My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for
goodness sake.* I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage
car owners.

Still plenty of new stuff being sold using imperial. New rotary lawn
mower - the bolt that holds the blade on has a 9/16 inch head.
I expect if it has a Briggs and Stratten (USA) engine it will be all
imperial.

+1, struggling today with a strange mixture of metric and imperial on my
American ATV (with a Japanese engine, but badged Caterpillar).

I can understand American **** using imperial.* Although I'm surprised
it's also got metric on the same device!

Well be surprised, but that is what it has. At least the imperial is AF
and not good old fashioned BSF and BSW. There are some fairly close
matches between AF and metric.

I still have a half inch socket set with both imperial and AF, and I was
very glad of it today.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 11:06:23 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
American is not imperial,

Of course it is, they use inches, pounds, etc.

But some of their measures like a gallon are different to ours, so we
aren't imperial enough.

That just shows they have no numeracy skills. Either that or they change things to suit their heavier fat bodies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 11:10:03 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why would I assume they're still making socket sets that fit things from
the backward yanks, or for cars made 50 years ago?

The Rover V8 engine used Unified threads mainly UNC. Plenty of those still
around in Range Rovers, etc.

But I doubt you'd need then for your Corsa.

I've had a 1989 Rover Maestro and a 1988 Range Rover. They took metric sockets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

Correct, but irrelevant when you're trying to fit it onto the bolt on the car. And actually they're also quoted in mm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
American is not imperial,

Of course it is, they use inches, pounds, etc.

But some of their measures like a gallon are different to ours, so we
aren't imperial enough.

Apparently, way back, we had numerous gallons: There were at least 4
different corn gallons, one ale gallon, a wine gallon, a London
'Guildhall' gallon, a Jersey gallon and a Guernsey gallon. I am sure
there were probably far more!

We simplified things by taking the imperial gallon (which equals 10lb of
water), while the Americans have standardised on the Queen Anne (wine)
gallon. So it seems we both simplified the existing system, but in
different ways.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 20:16:34 +0000, newshound, another brain-damaged,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

Well be surprised

I'm surprised that the retarded Scottish sociopath is SUCCESSFUL, every
time, with every single idiotic bait he sets out for all you senile idiots
on uk.d-i-y! tsk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 21:18:07 -0000, Steve Walker wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
American is not imperial,

Of course it is, they use inches, pounds, etc.

But some of their measures like a gallon are different to ours, so we
aren't imperial enough.

Apparently, way back, we had numerous gallons: There were at least 4
different corn gallons, one ale gallon, a wine gallon, a London
'Guildhall' gallon, a Jersey gallon and a Guernsey gallon. I am sure
there were probably far more!

We simplified things by taking the imperial gallon (which equals 10lb of
water), while the Americans have standardised on the Queen Anne (wine)
gallon. So it seems we both simplified the existing system, but in
different ways.

And then the more forward thinking of us discarded all that **** and went metric.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why would I assume they're still making socket sets that fit things
from the backward yanks, or for cars made 50 years ago?

The Rover V8 engine used Unified threads mainly UNC. Plenty of those
still around in Range Rovers, etc.

But I doubt you'd need then for your Corsa.

I've had a 1989 Rover Maestro and a 1988 Range Rover. They took metric
sockets.

If your 1988 Range Rover had the V8 engine, you're wrong. The engine
remained unified. Although the later bits like the injection system had
some metric.

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:55:35 +0000 (GMT), Dave Blowman (News) another
notorious troll-feeding senile idiot, babbled again:

If your 1988 Range Rover had the V8 engine, you're wrong. The engine
remained unified. Although the later bits like the injection system had
some metric.

A retarded Brexiter and a retarded Remoaner joined together in stupidity!
LOL You can witness something like that ONLY on Usenet!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 25 February 2019 21:52:59 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:59:16 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket set.

Are you illiterate?

Many imperial sockets have very close equivalents. I've even measured
1/2" sockets and they've been the same as a 13mm. I suspect the set you
bought was a cheap one, so you might even find some imperial sockets are
a better fit on metric nuts and bolts.

ROFL, found something else interesting. Why do people have locking wheelnuts on their cars when you can just remove them with this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113625989961

Try reading the 2 reviews.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 04:57:02 -0800 (PST), whisky-depraved, the notorious,

ROFL, found something else interesting. Why do people have locking wheelnuts on their cars when you can just remove them with this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113625989961

Try reading the 2 reviews.

The troll thanks you for showing such a keen interest in all his trolls that
you even look up his idiotic links! tsk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 February 2019 13:05:33 UTC, Peeler wrote:
On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 04:57:02 -0800 (PST), whisky-depraved, the notorious,

ROFL, found something else interesting. Why do people have locking wheelnuts on their cars when you can just remove them with this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113625989961

Try reading the 2 reviews.

The troll thanks you for showing such a keen interest in all his trolls that
you even look up his idiotic links! tsk

We have used those wheel nuts in the past to secure computers to the desks, so it;s interesting that someone sells something to remove our security attempts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:55:35 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why would I assume they're still making socket sets that fit things
from the backward yanks, or for cars made 50 years ago?

The Rover V8 engine used Unified threads mainly UNC. Plenty of those
still around in Range Rovers, etc.

But I doubt you'd need then for your Corsa.

I've had a 1989 Rover Maestro and a 1988 Range Rover. They took metric
sockets.

If your 1988 Range Rover had the V8 engine, you're wrong. The engine
remained unified. Although the later bits like the injection system had
some metric.

3.5L V8 (aren't they all V8?). Well the metric bits fitted it, I guess they must have been close enough. And being a Range Rover, I had virtually every bolt off that thing keeping it running.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
If your 1988 Range Rover had the V8 engine, you're wrong. The engine
remained unified. Although the later bits like the injection system had
some metric.

3.5L V8 (aren't they all V8?).

1988 saw the introduction of the diesel version.

Well the metric bits fitted it, I guess
they must have been close enough. And being a Range Rover, I had
virtually every bolt off that thing keeping it running.

Close enough probably is good enough for you. In which case some of the AF
sockets in your new set will be 'close enough' too.

But then anyone who can't identify a Unified or Metric bolt head by
looking at it would be best to stick to Lego.

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 15:51:59 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
If your 1988 Range Rover had the V8 engine, you're wrong. The engine
remained unified. Although the later bits like the injection system had
some metric.

3.5L V8 (aren't they all V8?).

1988 saw the introduction of the diesel version.

Well the metric bits fitted it, I guess
they must have been close enough. And being a Range Rover, I had
virtually every bolt off that thing keeping it running.

Close enough probably is good enough for you. In which case some of the AF
sockets in your new set will be 'close enough' too.

But then anyone who can't identify a Unified or Metric bolt head by
looking at it would be best to stick to Lego.

If it's rusty (Ranger Rover remember?) then there won't be a marking left on it. Also due to rust, they always change size a little too.