Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Imperial socket sets still being sold?!

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 10:55:35 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 11:10:03 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why would I assume they're still making socket sets that fit things
from the backward yanks, or for cars made 50 years ago?

The Rover V8 engine used Unified threads mainly UNC. Plenty of those
still around in Range Rovers, etc.

But I doubt you'd need then for your Corsa.

I've had a 1989 Rover Maestro and a 1988 Range Rover. They took metric
sockets.

If your 1988 Range Rover had the V8 engine, you're wrong. The engine
remained unified. Although the later bits like the injection system had
some metric.

3.5L V8 (aren't they all V8?). Well the metric bits fitted it, I guess they must have been close enough. And being a Range Rover, I had virtually every bolt off that thing keeping it running.