Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical socket imperial screws

I'm getting some old artex skimmed out in the hall and some of the
electrical socket backboxes are of the old imperial type. I would prefer to
avoid having to change the back box if I need longer screws, but I can't
find anywhere that sells the old BA screws. Is there an easy solution? - I
thought about trying to tap the threads, but not sure if this is likely to
work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 12:50 pm, "John Miller"
wrote:
I'm getting some old artex skimmed out in the hall and some of the
electrical socket backboxes are of the old imperial type. I would prefer to
avoid having to change the back box if I need longer screws, but I can't
find anywhere that sells the old BA screws. Is there an easy solution? - I
thought about trying to tap the threads, but not sure if this is likely to
work.

You may be able to find a metric or Whitworth screw that is close
enough. What is the approximate diameter and threads per inch?

Type Size Dia Inch TPI Dia mm Pitch mm
BA 3 0.1614 34.84 4.10 0.73
M 4.5 0.177 33.87 4.5 0.75
BA 2 0.185 31.35 4.70 0.81
BSF 3/16 0.1875 32 4.76 0.79
BSW 3/16 0.1875 24 4.76 1.06
MF 5 0.197 50.80 5 0.5
M 5 0.197 31.75 5 0.8
BA 1 0.2067 28.25 5.25 0.90
BSW 7/32 0.21875 24 5.56 1.06
BSF 7/32 0.2188 28 5.56 0.91
BA 0 0.2362 25.38 6.00 1.00
MF 6 0.236 33.87 6 0.75
M 6 0.236 25.40 6 1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Miller wrote:

I'm getting some old artex skimmed out in the hall and some of the
electrical socket backboxes are of the old imperial type. I would prefer
to avoid having to change the back box if I need longer screws, but I
can't find anywhere that sells the old BA screws. Is there an easy
solution? - I thought about trying to tap the threads, but not sure if
this is likely to work.

Namrick sell some B.A. items.
http://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Ho...crews_183.html

Edgar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 1:50*am, "John Miller"
wrote:
I'm getting some old artex skimmed out in the hall and some of the
electrical socket backboxes are of the old imperial type. I would prefer to
avoid having to change the back box if I need longer screws, but I can't
find anywhere that sells the old BA screws. Is there an easy solution? - I
thought about trying to tap the threads, but not sure if this is likely to
work.

tapping the threads is easy and works ok.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:18:46 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

What is the approximate diameter and threads per inch?

Accessory screws are M3.5, I'm surprised that the OP can't find BA
screws. Plenty of seller hits when googling...

OK you won't find them in the DIY sheds but I'd have thought a decent
electrical wholesaler might, more likely to find a little hand held
M3.5 tap though. 6BA is 0.11 inch (2.794mm) so the hole can simply be
tapped out.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Jul 15, 1:50 am, "John Miller"
wrote:
I'm getting some old artex skimmed out in the hall and some of the
electrical socket backboxes are of the old imperial type. I would prefer to
avoid having to change the back box if I need longer screws, but I can't
find anywhere that sells the old BA screws. Is there an easy solution? - I
thought about trying to tap the threads, but not sure if this is likely to
work.

tapping the threads is easy and works ok.

NT

I think I've seen a sparks using a simple hand tool to do this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
NT wrote:
On Jul 15, 1:50 am, "John Miller"
wrote:
I'm getting some old artex skimmed out in the hall and some of the
electrical socket backboxes are of the old imperial type. I would
prefer to
avoid having to change the back box if I need longer screws, but I can't
find anywhere that sells the old BA screws. Is there an easy
solution? - I
thought about trying to tap the threads, but not sure if this is
likely to
work.

tapping the threads is easy and works ok.

NT

I think I've seen a sparks using a simple hand tool to do this.

like this

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BHM3dot5.html

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 July, 10:19, stuart noble wrote:

I think I've seen a sparks using a simple hand tool to do this.

Although quite expensive. Mine is just a 3.5mm tap, a cheap file
handle and some epoxy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 10:19*am, stuart noble wrote:
NT wrote:
On Jul 15, 1:50 am, "John Miller"
wrote:
I'm getting some old artex skimmed out in the hall and some of the
electrical socket backboxes are of the old imperial type. I would prefer to
avoid having to change the back box if I need longer screws, but I can't
find anywhere that sells the old BA screws. Is there an easy solution? - I
thought about trying to tap the threads, but not sure if this is likely to
work.

tapping the threads is easy and works ok.

NT

I think I've seen a sparks using a simple hand tool to do this.

Thats what I've got. No predrilling needed, just use the tap once and
its done.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 21:18:46 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

What is the approximate diameter and threads per inch?

Accessory screws are M3.5, I'm surprised that the OP can't find BA
screws. Plenty of seller hits when googling...

OK you won't find them in the DIY sheds but I'd have thought a decent
electrical wholesaler might, more likely to find a little hand held
M3.5 tap though. 6BA is 0.11 inch (2.794mm) so the hole can simply be
tapped out.

I thought that this was the case, but forebore giving what might be bad
advice.

many electricians carry just such a tap: I assumed it was to sort out
stripped or tight threads, but maybe it is quire often necessary when
working on older installations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2010 11:37, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 15 July, 10:19, stuart wrote:

I think I've seen a sparks using a simple hand tool to do this.

Although quite expensive. Mine is just a 3.5mm tap, a cheap file
handle and some epoxy.

Mine is a tap and a large chocky block section. It was given to me
mumble, mumble years ago.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Miller" wrote in message
I'm getting some old artex skimmed out in the hall and some of the
electrical socket backboxes are of the old imperial type. I would prefer
to avoid having to change the back box if I need longer screws, but I
can't find anywhere that sells the old BA screws. Is there an easy
solution? - I thought about trying to tap the threads, but not sure if
this is likely to work.

Screwfix also do the 3.5mm Tap in a handle that will do the job fine.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94356/...Threader-3-5mm

Ian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian French" wrote in message

"John Miller" wrote in message
I'm getting some old artex skimmed out in the hall and some of the
electrical socket backboxes are of the old imperial type. I would prefer
to avoid having to change the back box if I need longer screws, but I
can't find anywhere that sells the old BA screws. Is there an easy
solution? - I thought about trying to tap the threads, but not sure if
this is likely to work.

Screwfix also do the 3.5mm Tap in a handle that will do the job fine.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94356/...Threader-3-5mm

Ian.

Thanks to all who replied. I was looking for the specific domed head screws,
but hadn't considered that plain BA screws would do just as well. Senior
moment! May try the tap solution though as this seems to be the favoured way
to go.

John Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Miller wrote:
Thanks to all who replied. I was looking for the specific domed head
screws, but hadn't considered that plain BA screws would do just as
well. Senior moment! May try the tap solution though as this seems to
be the favoured way to go.

Think the actual name is 'raised head' IIRC and yes, they are near
impossible to find - especially in the original finish which might be
chrome or bronze, etc. However a countersunk head BA one will work just
fine.

The other alternative to re-tapping the threads on a steel back box is to
enlarge the hole to clearance for a metric screw and superglue a nut to
the back of the lug. But you won't find nuts in the average DIY place.

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The other alternative to re-tapping the threads on a steel back box is to
enlarge the hole to clearance for a metric screw and superglue a nut to
the back of the lug. But you won't find nuts in the average DIY place.

And connect a link between the earth terminals on the back box and the
socket since the superglue means that you won't be able to rely on earth
continuity through the fixing screws.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Clarke wrote:
The other alternative to re-tapping the threads on a steel back box is
to enlarge the hole to clearance for a metric screw and superglue a
nut to the back of the lug. But you won't find nuts in the average DIY
place.

And connect a link between the earth terminals on the back box and the
socket since the superglue means that you won't be able to rely on earth
continuity through the fixing screws.

You never rely on that connection anyway. Screws can come loose. Corrosion
can occur. Etc.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:02:42 +0100, Mike Clarke wrote:

And connect a link between the earth terminals on the back box and the
socket since the superglue means that you won't be able to rely on earth
continuity through the fixing screws.

The regs haven't allowed that for a while. Link required from backbox
to accessory.

--
Cheers
Dave.