Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Imperial socket sets still being sold?!

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 22:36:20 -0000, soup wrote:

On 25/02/2019 21:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:

ROFL, found something else interesting. Why do people have locking
wheelnuts on their cars when you can just remove them with this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113625989961

Have you seen the reviews on that?

Reads like of two buyers neither got it to work.

Why the second one gave it three stars, when it wouldn't work as it was
the wrong size... ? I thought all wheel nuts were nominally the same
size (the 'lockable' ones pattern being within a 17 mm hex).

I've never had a lockable wheelnut, so I don't have direct experience of them, but I would assume they're all different? As in you can't open your neighbour's front door with your key. If you could undo your neighbour's wheelnut with your wheelnut key, then everyone could very easily steal each other's wheels, making them utterly pointless. So I assume the above link is to a tool which destroys the wheelnut lock. If they're anything like those pathetic tools which remove screws with burred heads, they won't work, those just make an even bigger mess of the screw, you're better with a big drill bit.

I thought all wheelnuts were 17mm until I bought a Peugeot (that took 5 attempts to get a word which was close enough to Peugeot for the spellchecker to recognise it!) The French don't do standards - my Renault is the only car I've ever had which refuses to communicate with any OBD reader except a Renault one (which I would have thought was illegal, if only for emissions standards, which is why they invented OBD). Luckily the nearest Renault garage plugs it in for free :-)