Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Imperial socket sets still being sold?!

On 25/02/2019 21:41, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:59:16 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial!* What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake.* I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket
set.

Are you illiterate?

Many imperial sockets have very close equivalents. I've even measured
1/2" sockets and they've been the same as a 13mm. I suspect the set you
bought was a cheap one, so you might even find some imperial sockets are
a better fit on metric nuts and bolts.

Another thing, why do most socket sets stop at 13mm?

Must be the sets you buy. I don't have this problem.