Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Imperial socket sets still being sold?!

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:59:16 -0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 25/02/2019 19:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:
I just bought a new socket set (for car repairs) as I lost my last one.
Half the bits are imperial! What the hell are they selling those for?
My first car was made in 1988, and even that was metric for goodness
sake. I guess half of it's going on freecycle for vintage car owners.

Most people who want a metric set of sockets would buy a metric socket set.

Are you illiterate?

Many imperial sockets have very close equivalents. I've even measured
1/2" sockets and they've been the same as a 13mm. I suspect the set you
bought was a cheap one, so you might even find some imperial sockets are
a better fit on metric nuts and bolts.

I won't be able to try, I've cancelled the order in disgust. All I want is a set of sockets that I can use on my car, that means metric, and large. Who the **** uses 7mm sockets?! Is that for a bicycle or something?