Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BMW on Motorway??

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Of course it is, but then it wouldnt save as much space. Manufactures
are supplying space savers with a smaller radius.

I've never had a car with a space saver. My brother has had two - a BMW
and now an Audi. On both, (estates) there is space for a full sized wheel
in the well. And that's what he does - buy a used full sized wheel as
those cars are used for towing.

--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Good luck running different sized tyres on the driven axle. The
differential will over-heat and fail.

Sounds improbable. Maybe a limited slip diff wouldnt like it but I
cant see a regular diff being seriously stressed by a small difference
in rolling radius. Many space savers *are* smaller in terms of overall
diameter/rolling radius.

I'm talking about normal use over a period of time. Which only an idiot
would do with a space saver. The gears and bearings in the differential
part ain't rated for continuous use. If you've actually ever stripped one
down, many have plain bearings for the planet wheels. While everything
else has ball bearings.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Of course it is, but then it wouldn‘t save as much space. Manufactures
are supplying space savers with a smaller radius.

I've never had a car with a space saver.

Then maybe youre not best qualified to tell others about their dimensions?
Just a thought...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Good luck running different sized tyres on the driven axle. The
differential will over-heat and fail.

Sounds improbable. Maybe a limited slip diff wouldn‘t like it but I
can‘t see a regular diff being seriously stressed by a small difference
in rolling radius. Many space savers *are* smaller in terms of overall
diameter/rolling radius.

I'm talking about normal use over a period of time.

The common recommendation is a maximum of 50 miles.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/02/2019 17:08, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 21:39:40 +0000, ARW wrote:

The standard of driving on the M1 South of Luton is probably some of the
worst motorway driving I have seen in the UK.

Hum, was down at Milton Keynes and Nottingham last year, thought the
M1 driving was much better than the M6/M61 south of Preston. That's
abit further north I think but the picture of a dragon obscures the
map.

The M1 is mostly "smart motorway" and even without the variable speed
limit in operation everyone one was doing 70 and reasonably well
spaced out. Presumably because some of the VSL gantries also have
ordinary speed cameras bolted on the side...

The M6/M61 is not "smart motorway" and no speed cameras. Any time
near the rush and you'll have cars doing 80+ mph, two car lengths
apart.

The M61 is only 20 miles long, time difference between *average*
speeds of 65 and 75, is a mere 2' 27". Do people really time their
commute so finely? Hitting a couple sets of lights on red instead of
green will add that sort of time...

What has a variable speed limit got do do with people driving at 70MPH?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Good luck running different sized tyres on the driven axle. The
differential will over-heat and fail.

Sounds improbable. Maybe a limited slip diff wouldn't like it but I
can't see a regular diff being seriously stressed by a small difference
in rolling radius. Many space savers *are* smaller in terms of overall
diameter/rolling radius.

I'm talking about normal use over a period of time. Which only an idiot
would do with a space saver. The gears and bearings in the differential
part ain't rated for continuous use. If you've actually ever stripped one
down, many have plain bearings for the planet wheels. While everything
else has ball bearings.

Does it matter whether or not the space-saver tyre is on a driven axle with
a differential, for the handling of the car?

If you put a smaller tyre on the same "virtual axle" as one with the normal
size wheel, won't mean that the car will be lopsided and the car will try to
go round in circles instead of going straight ahead with no steering input?
How much does the suspension of a car adjust to different sized tyres to
keep the car level and hence the same load on both of the driving wheels -
assuming it's not clever suspension like Citroen's hydropneumatic.

By "virtual axle" I mean two tyres that are side by side (two front or two
rear), whether they are connected by axles and a differential or are
completely independent (in the latter case, the front wheels of a RWD car or
the rear wheels of a FWD car).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Of course it is, but then it wouldnt save as much space. Manufactures
are supplying space savers with a smaller radius.

I've never had a car with a space saver.

Ah so just another demonstration of your guesswork & **** poor
imagination then... normal service for Duhve.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Of course it is, but then it wouldnt save as much space. Manufactures
are supplying space savers with a smaller radius.

I've never had a car with a space saver.

Then maybe youre not best qualified to tell others about their
dimensions? Just a thought...

And another thought. You've never seem one in use and judged for yourself?

But it could be you think it must have a different rolling radius because
it simply looks different?

*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Good luck running different sized tyres on the driven axle. The
differential will over-heat and fail.

Sounds improbable. Maybe a limited slip diff wouldnt like it but I
cant see a regular diff being seriously stressed by a small difference
in rolling radius. Many space savers *are* smaller in terms of overall
diameter/rolling radius.

I'm talking about normal use over a period of time.

The common recommendation is a maximum of 50 miles.

And so was I. Merely pointing out that using a differential long term for
something it wasn't designed to do can have consequences.

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NY wrote:
Good luck running different sized tyres on the driven axle. The
differential will over-heat and fail.

Sounds improbable. Maybe a limited slip diff wouldn't like it but I
can't see a regular diff being seriously stressed by a small
difference in rolling radius. Many space savers *are* smaller in
terms of overall diameter/rolling radius.

I'm talking about normal use over a period of time. Which only an
idiot would do with a space saver. The gears and bearings in the
differential part ain't rated for continuous use. If you've actually
ever stripped one down, many have plain bearings for the planet
wheels. While everything else has ball bearings.

Does it matter whether or not the space-saver tyre is on a driven axle
with a differential, for the handling of the car?

Dunno. I was merely pointing out the possibility of differential damage if
different sized tyres are used long term.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:00:19 +0000, ARW wrote:

The M1 is mostly "smart motorway" and even without the variable

speed
limit in operation everyone one was doing 70 and reasonably well
spaced out. Presumably because some of the VSL gantries also have
ordinary speed cameras bolted on the side...

What has a variable speed limit got do do with people driving at 70MPH?

Some of the gantries carrying the lane based VSL signs and per lane
cameras also have good old double flash speed cameras set at 70(ish)
sticking out the side. Saw a couple of the double flashes when the
VSL wasn't active...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Of course it is, but then it wouldn‘t save as much space. Manufactures
are supplying space savers with a smaller radius.

I've never had a car with a space saver.

Then maybe you‘re not best qualified to tell others about their
dimensions? Just a thought...

And another thought. You've never seem one in use and judged for yourself?

There you go, making assumptions again

But it could be you think it must have a different rolling radius because
it simply looks different?

Maybe Ive actually bothered to do an Internet search? Seems its common
for them to be a bit smaller.

If you cant be bothered to to a few seconds of research why are you
contributing to this thread when you also lack any first-hand experience?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Good luck running different sized tyres on the driven axle. The
differential will over-heat and fail.

Sounds improbable. Maybe a limited slip diff wouldn‘t like it but I
can‘t see a regular diff being seriously stressed by a small difference
in rolling radius. Many space savers *are* smaller in terms of overall
diameter/rolling radius.

I'm talking about normal use over a period of time.

The common recommendation is a maximum of 50 miles.

And so was I. Merely pointing out that using a differential long term for
something it wasn't designed to do can have consequences.

And who suggested that anyone intended using mismatched wheels for long
term? Oh yes, it was you.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Of course it is, but then it wouldnt save as much space. Manufactures
are supplying space savers with a smaller radius.

I've never had a car with a space saver.

Then maybe youre not best qualified to tell others about their
dimensions? Just a thought...

And another thought. You've never seem one in use and judged for yourself?

There you go, making assumptions again

But it could be you think it must have a different rolling radius because
it simply looks different?

Maybe I?ve actually bothered to do an Internet search? Seems it?s common
for them to be a bit smaller.

If you can?t be bothered to to a few seconds of research why are you
contributing to this thread when you also lack any first-hand experience?

Tim

Maybe it's cos it's car related, so Duhve naturally feels he knows
better.... hehehe
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote:
[...]

Oh dear!
Best wait for gAB****e & "Mark" to come rescue you again Duhve! ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
Tim+ wrote:
Good luck running different sized tyres on the driven axle. The
differential will over-heat and fail.

Sounds improbable. Maybe a limited slip diff wouldn't like it but I
can't see a regular diff being seriously stressed by a small difference
in rolling radius. Many space savers *are* smaller in terms of overall
diameter/rolling radius.

I'm talking about normal use over a period of time. Which only an idiot
would do with a space saver. The gears and bearings in the differential
part ain't rated for continuous use. If you've actually ever stripped one
down, many have plain bearings for the planet wheels. While everything
else has ball bearings.

Does it matter whether or not the space-saver tyre is on a driven axle
with a differential, for the handling of the car?

Yes, but it doesn't matter all that much and you shouldn't
be flogging the car around corners with a space saver,
you should be driving more conservatively.

If you put a smaller tyre on the same "virtual axle" as one with the
normal size wheel, won't mean that the car will be lopsided

Yes, but it is when driving on a flat too. Still works fine.

and the car will try to go round in circles instead of going straight
ahead with no steering input?

Not with a FWD car with the space saver on the front wheel.

And not with it on one of the back wheels either.

In fact with my Getz, its hard to work out
that you do have a flat the effect is so minor.

How much does the suspension of a car adjust to different sized tyres to
keep the car level and hence the same load on both of the driving wheels -
assuming it's not clever suspension like Citroen's hydropneumatic.

Not a lot, even with Citroen's hydropneumatic.

I'd still prefer a full sized spare, but that's because I routinely
do long distance trips in the middle of the might, mainly
because I am going to an event that starts at 7am or so
and the 50 mile limit with a space saver would be a real
killer and wouldn't necessarily even get me to the nearest
major town where I would have to wait for the tyre place
to open hours in the future. They would normally have
a new tyre of the right sized but it would still **** the
day up completely. And would just a minor nuisance
with a full sized spare.

By "virtual axle" I mean two tyres that are side by side (two front or two
rear), whether they are connected by axles and a differential or are
completely independent (in the latter case, the front wheels of a RWD car
or the rear wheels of a FWD car).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2019 17:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:00:19 +0000, ARW wrote:

The M1 is mostly "smart motorway" and even without the variable

speed
limit in operation everyone one was doing 70 and reasonably well
spaced out. Presumably because some of the VSL gantries also have
ordinary speed cameras bolted on the side...

What has a variable speed limit got do do with people driving at 70MPH?

Some of the gantries carrying the lane based VSL signs and per lane
cameras also have good old double flash speed cameras set at 70(ish)
sticking out the side. Saw a couple of the double flashes when the
VSL wasn't active...

The VSL cameras are also operating when the display is showing national
speed limit. They're not turned off and so will catch anyone ignoring
the NSL. I've seen a couple of cars flashed in hose circumstances on the
M62.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Tim+" wrote in message
F news@nowhere Wrote in message:
I used to drive my father's Ford Anglia 1200 to see the then girlfriend.
12 miles in 11 minutes with my foot down to the floor and the speedo up
against the stop at 92. Several pretty burnt out valves when he sold it
when I went to college but I had had some fun.-- F

Yep, 65mph in an Anglia will do that. ;-) (12 miles in 11 minutes
is nowhere *near* 92 mph).

Though unless he and his girlfriend lived right on the roadside on a road
with no junctions or bends that required him to slow down or stop, he'd have
to be hitting 80-90 mph in places to average 65 door-to-door. Might have
been possible at one time, but traffic levels and speed cameras would make
it difficult to achieve nowadays. Cars have got faster, but traffic and
speed limits have got worse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 February 2019 14:45:41 UTC, NY wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
F news@nowhere Wrote in message:

I used to drive my father's Ford Anglia 1200 to see the then girlfriend.
12 miles in 11 minutes with my foot down to the floor and the speedo up
against the stop at 92. Several pretty burnt out valves when he sold it
when I went to college but I had had some fun.-- F

Yep, 65mph in an Anglia will do that. ;-) (12 miles in 11 minutes
is nowhere *near* 92 mph).

Though unless he and his girlfriend lived right on the roadside on a road
with no junctions or bends that required him to slow down or stop, he'd have
to be hitting 80-90 mph in places to average 65 door-to-door. Might have
been possible at one time, but traffic levels and speed cameras would make
it difficult to achieve nowadays. Cars have got faster, but traffic and
speed limits have got worse.

ISTR Anglias having terrible brakes & poor stability.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

yes, but fitting an anti-roll bar on the front and upgrading the brake
linings to (ISTR) VG95 made quite a difference.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/02/2019 17:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:00:19 +0000, ARW wrote:

The M1 is mostly "smart motorway" and even without the variable

speed
limit in operation everyone one was doing 70 and reasonably well
spaced out. Presumably because some of the VSL gantries also have
ordinary speed cameras bolted on the side...

What has a variable speed limit got do do with people driving at 70MPH?

Some of the gantries carrying the lane based VSL signs and per lane
cameras also have good old double flash speed cameras set at 70(ish)
sticking out the side. Saw a couple of the double flashes when the
VSL wasn't active...

OK I know what you mean. I pass them at 86MPH every day. M1 and M62
depending on where I am working.

Now I have seen them flash on the odd occasion that someone has
overtaken me.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

The VSL cameras are also operating when the display is showing national
speed limit. They're not turned off and so will catch anyone ignoring
the NSL.

There's been a big dose of "fake news" from social media regarding smart
motorways and speed cameras recently ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 February 2019 16:08:41 UTC, charles wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't realise they lacked an antiroll bar. I was somewhat familiar with a 50s car that didn't & it almost fell over on slow corners.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
[...]

with a 50s car that didn't & it almost fell over on slow corners.i

I think there might have been one on the original spec, - but I fitted an
extra one to give much more stiffness.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
yes, but fitting an anti-roll bar on the front and upgrading the brake
linings to (ISTR) VG95 made quite a difference.

I didn't realise they lacked an antiroll bar. I was somewhat familiar with a 50s car that didn't & it almost fell over on slow corners.

I didn't realise you could have strut suspension without an anti-roll bar.

On my SD1 which has a very simple strut system, the ARB is part of the
location for the strut.

--
*Venison for dinner again? Oh deer!*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
I didn't realise they lacked an antiroll bar. I was somewhat familiar
with a 50s car that didn't & it almost fell over on slow corners.i

I think there might have been one on the original spec, - but I fitted an
extra one to give much more stiffness.

Ah - that explains it.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 February 2019 10:55:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

yes, but fitting an anti-roll bar on the front and upgrading the brake
linings to (ISTR) VG95 made quite a difference.

I didn't realise they lacked an antiroll bar. I was somewhat familiar with a 50s car that didn't & it almost fell over on slow corners.

I didn't realise you could have strut suspension without an anti-roll bar.

On my SD1 which has a very simple strut system, the ARB is part of the
location for the strut.

There are various ways to horribly bodge things that some mfrs used to save a penny or 2. There were even cars with rubber band suspension. And cars that relied on the wooden floor bending to provide a measure of suspension!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/02/2019 22:21, Andy Burns wrote:
F wrote:

The VSL cameras are also operating when the display is showing
national speed limit. They're not turned off and so will catch anyone
ignoring the NSL.

There's been a big dose of "fake news" from social media regarding smart
motorways and speed cameras recently ...

I suspect that it is fake news that they are set at 79MPH (the 10% =2
rule) However I have certainly seen them flash when there is no variable
speed limit in place.

Many moons ago ISTR Steve Firth saying that they would be set at 90MPH

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

F wrote:

The VSL cameras are also operating when the display is showing
national speed limit. They're not turned off and so will catch anyone
ignoring the NSL.

There's been a big dose of "fake news" from social media regarding
smart motorways and speed cameras recently ...

I suspect that it is fake news that they are set at 79MPH (the 10% =2
rule) However I have certainly seen them flash when there is no variable
speed limit in place.

Many moons ago ISTR Steve Firth saying that they would be set at 90MPH

When they were film rather than digital setting them too close to the
speed limit would catch a lot of people early but then be out of film
when the really serious offenders ran by.

--
djc

(̿Ĺ̯̿ ̿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

I suspect that it is fake news that they are set at 79MPH (the 10% =2
rule) However I have certainly seen them flash when there is no variable
speed limit in place.

I used to travel M1 J21-J26 and back most days, but far less often
nowadays (and there have been 50mph roadworks for ages) the only double
flashes from the gantries I've seen have been when a limit less than 70
has been displayed

Many moons ago ISTR Steve Firth saying that they would be set at 90MPH

I remember him saying they always had "a limit" that would trigger them
when no limit was displayed, but that limit was set by local plod.

I try to keep it under 3 digits these days ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

yes, but fitting an anti-roll bar on the front and upgrading the
brake linings to (ISTR) VG95 made quite a difference.

I didn't realise they lacked an antiroll bar. I was somewhat
familiar with a 50s car that didn't & it almost fell over on slow
corners.

I didn't realise you could have strut suspension without an anti-roll
bar.

On my SD1 which has a very simple strut system, the ARB is part of the
location for the strut.

There are various ways to horribly bodge things that some mfrs used to
save a penny or 2.

Never heard of economy of design? A camel being a horse made by a
committee of engineers?

The SD1 suspension works pretty well for what it is. Didn't need much in
the way of modification for the considerable success the car had in racing
and rallying.

There were even cars with rubber band suspension.

If you mean the sort used by BL, I'd guess cost ruled it out rather than a
fundamental problem.

And
cars that relied on the wooden floor bending to provide a measure of
suspension!

The wood floor flexed independent of the chassis? Or were you talking
about all wood construction?

--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

yes, but fitting an anti-roll bar on the front and upgrading the
brake linings to (ISTR) VG95 made quite a difference.

I didn't realise they lacked an antiroll bar. I was somewhat
familiar with a 50s car that didn't & it almost fell over on slow
corners.

I didn't realise you could have strut suspension without an anti-roll
bar.

On my SD1 which has a very simple strut system, the ARB is part of the
location for the strut.

There are various ways to horribly bodge things that some mfrs used to
save a penny or 2.

Never heard of economy of design? A camel being a horse made by a
committee of engineers?

but, to the customer's specification.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 February 2019 10:32:55 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

yes, but fitting an anti-roll bar on the front and upgrading the
brake linings to (ISTR) VG95 made quite a difference.

I didn't realise they lacked an antiroll bar. I was somewhat
familiar with a 50s car that didn't & it almost fell over on slow
corners.

I didn't realise you could have strut suspension without an anti-roll
bar.

On my SD1 which has a very simple strut system, the ARB is part of the
location for the strut.

There are various ways to horribly bodge things that some mfrs used to
save a penny or 2.

Never heard of economy of design?

strange claim

A camel being a horse made by a
committee of engineers?

The SD1 suspension works pretty well for what it is. Didn't need much in
the way of modification for the considerable success the car had in racing
and rallying.

how is that relevant?

There were even cars with rubber band suspension.

If you mean the sort used by BL, I'd guess cost ruled it out rather than a
fundamental problem.

what car did BL ever produce with rubber band suspension?
Have you been having a tipple?

And
cars that relied on the wooden floor bending to provide a measure of
suspension!

The wood floor flexed independent of the chassis? Or were you talking
about all wood construction?

There was no separate chassis, just a bendable wood floor. They're called buckboard cars.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

wrote in message
There were even cars with rubber band suspension.

If you mean the sort used by BL, I'd guess cost ruled it out rather than
fundamental problem.

what car did BL ever produce with rubber band suspension?
Have you been having a tipple?

I suppose you *could* describe BL's Hydrolastic suspension as using rubber
bands, but they are more like rubber bushes (doughnut shaped rubber between
"axle" and body).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2019 14:10, Tim+ wrote:
F news@nowhere Wrote in message:
I used to drive my father's Ford Anglia 1200 to see the then girlfriend. 12 miles in 11 minutes with my foot down to the floor and the speedo up against the stop at 92. Several pretty burnt out valves when he sold it when I went to college but I had had some fun.-- F

Yep, 65mph in an Anglia will do that. ;-) (12 miles in 11 minutes
is nowhere *near* 92 mph).

Tim

It wasn't flat out all the way...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

The VSL cameras are also operating when the display is showing national
speed limit. They're not turned off and so will catch anyone ignoring
the NSL.

There's been a big dose of "fake news" from social media regarding smart
motorways and speed cameras recently ...

But this isn't fake news: I've seen them flash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

On 19/02/2019 14:10, Tim+ wrote:
F news@nowhere Wrote in message:
I used to drive my father's Ford Anglia 1200 to see the then girlfriend.
12 miles in 11 minutes with my foot down to the floor and the speedo up
against the stop at 92. Several pretty burnt out valves when he sold it
when I went to college but I had had some fun.-- F

Yep, 65mph in an Anglia will do that. ;-) (12 miles in 11 minutes
is nowhere *near* 92 mph).

Tim

It wasn't flat out all the way...

As a matter of interest, what sort of roads was it? I'm impressed that on a
road that is not a motorway or dual carriageway all the way you were able to
average over 60 mph. I've driven as fast as feels safe on two-way,
single-carriageway roads, going a bit above 60 on the straights, and still
only averaged about 55. It doesn't take many stops at junctions or slowing
down for sharp bends to bring the average down, even when you go above 60
where you can.