Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Motorway style crash barriers - where to buy?

I have a job which requires replacement of parking bay crash/nudge
barriers/buffers for a private residential estate.

The original installation comprised of 2 wooden rails to each bay (one
above the other) between 2 'spring-loaded" posts, left and right of
each bay. The posts comprise a vertical metal strap with a separate
metal strap rising behind at a 45° angle to meet (but not touch) the
vertical strap at the top. These may be made up of a single length, in
the form of a triangle, with the base cemented into the ground.

Either way, the original intention was that a car contacting the wooden
rails would not meet solid resistance until the vertical post/strap was
pushed back against the 45° strap.

The original wooden rails were very lightweight and have long since
been smashed and/or rotted away. Into each post there are fitted 2
heavy duty bolts which seem over specified for the lightweight wood...
maybe the money ran out and wood substituted steel?

Anyhow, the owner would now like the barrier re-instated using metal
(motorway style) rails, or something along those lines. Each bay is
just over 8' wide and needs to share fixings on each post with the
following bay, i.e. there are 2 holes per post, one above the other.

Anyone know where I can find such material?

Thanks,
deano.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"deano" wrote in message
oups.com...

Anyone know where I can find such material?

Do a Google for "Armco" lots of info there!

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"deano" wrote in message
oups.com...

Anyone know where I can find such material?

Do a Google for "Armco" lots of info there!

HTH

John

Thanks John.

Have just emailed them with the specs.
I'll be interested to see what they say... methinks when something
enters realm of "Street Furniture", client's jaw hits the floor

Back to timber (and cheap mind) it is then!!

deano.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
"deano" writes:

Have just emailed them with the specs.
I'll be interested to see what they say... methinks when something
enters realm of "Street Furniture", client's jaw hits the floor

You'll find the double ribbed corrugated ones are much bigger
and more ugly close up than they appear when driving past them
on the highway.

What about using something like a scaffold pole?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, deano
writes

John wrote:
"deano" wrote in message
oups.com...

Anyone know where I can find such material?

Do a Google for "Armco" lots of info there!

Have just emailed them with the specs.
I'll be interested to see what they say... methinks when something
enters realm of "Street Furniture", client's jaw hits the floor

Back to timber (and cheap mind) it is then!!

I suspect not only will it be expensive, but it might look pretty ugly
and over-engineered for the task.

What about getting something welded up from steel tube say?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
John wrote:

Do a Google for "Armco" lots of info there!

I suspect not only will it be expensive, but it might look pretty ugly
and over-engineered for the task.

Yes. I'd have thought 4x4 timber would do the job. Unless the client is
expecting impacts at speed.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes

Back to timber (and cheap mind) it is then!!

Or if not 4x4, just steel square section tube.

NT

Try 5705100 Sectional Steel Barrier at www.arco.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"deano" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a job which requires replacement of parking bay crash/nudge
barriers/buffers for a private residential estate.

Anyhow, the owner would now like the barrier re-instated using metal
(motorway style) rails, or something along those lines. Each bay is
just over 8' wide and needs to share fixings on each post with the
following bay, i.e. there are 2 holes per post, one above the other.

Anyone know where I can find such material?

Go to

http://www.keyind.co.uk/

and search on car park barrier

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ooh. Lots of good suggestion from you lot, thanks.

I agree that 'actual' motorway barrier would be over-spec.
Something of that 'style' but smaller and more aesthetic is what I'm
thinking and my client's wish is for something that will last much
longer than the original timber planks, hence his comment about using
metal.

Scaffhold poles or square sectional steel sound ideal. I'll have a
browse through the links you guys supplied and I'll also pop over to
Cannon Steel in Enfield later on to see if they can fabricate something
for me. This is likely to be much cheaper than something "off the
shelf".

Ta
deano.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Salisbury wrote:
"deano" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You should know that armco is designed that way to be safe in high speed
glancing blows. It is designed to deform,. and possibly slice into the
car bodywork to absorb high speed impacts and dissipate the energy over
a distance.

Its use for parking is at best inappropiate, and at worst a waste of time.

The best material for parking is actually a tough hedge..

However, given what you have, I'd be inclined to use scaffolding poles
covered in foam insulation.

Thanks,
deano.

Try 5705100 Sectional Steel Barrier at www.arco.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "deano" contains these words:

Anyhow, the owner would now like the barrier re-instated using metal
(motorway style) rails, or something along those lines. Each bay is
just over 8' wide and needs to share fixings on each post with the
following bay, i.e. there are 2 holes per post, one above the other.

Why not just use a bit of box section steel?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

The best material for parking is actually a tough hedge..

Just don't use blackthorn or hawthorn. Unless you're 100% in sweeping up
the clippings you'll get punctures even through car tyres.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"deano" wrote in message
oups.com...
have a job which requires replacement of parking bay crash/nudge
barriers/buffers for a private residential estate.

Perhaps use rubberised steel cable attached to something with a bit of
bounce? Or put in a small kerb for the back wheels to hit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:23:41 UTC, Owain
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
You should know that armco is designed that way to be safe in high speed
glancing blows. It is designed to deform,. and possibly slice into the
car bodywork to absorb high speed impacts and dissipate the energy over
a distance.
Its use for parking is at best inappropiate, and at worst a waste of time.
The best material for parking is actually a tough hedge..
However, given what you have, I'd be inclined to use scaffolding poles
covered in foam insulation.

I'd suggest "bendy bollards" or for the post-industrial look, tractor
tyres on edge half-buried in the ground.

Our local Network Rail station has the best solution. Short (2 foot)
pieces of rail embedded vertically in concrete. Cross members made from
more old rail. Still a good post-industrial look, and totally
unforgiving!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

deano wrote:
Ooh. Lots of good suggestion from you lot, thanks.

I agree that 'actual' motorway barrier would be over-spec.
Something of that 'style' but smaller and more aesthetic is what I'm
thinking and my client's wish is for something that will last much
longer than the original timber planks, hence his comment about using
metal.

Scaffhold poles or square sectional steel sound ideal. I'll have a
browse through the links you guys supplied and I'll also pop over to
Cannon Steel in Enfield later on to see if they can fabricate something
for me. This is likely to be much cheaper than something "off the
shelf".

Ta
deano.

or 4x4 oak would last a century plus.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

The best material for parking is actually a tough hedge..

Just don't use blackthorn or hawthorn. Unless you're 100% in sweeping up
the clippings you'll get punctures even through car tyres.

hehe. Ive got goop in my lawn tractor tyres now. About 1 puncture every
three hours was the worst ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I remember seeing a barrier on an industrial estate made from 250mm x 250mm
I beams. Someone had still managed to bend it.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

hehe. Ive got goop in my lawn tractor tyres now. About 1 puncture every
three hours was the worst ...

I punctured to tyres in one go. Dad had clipped the hedge while I was at
the tyre shop having four new tyres fitted to my Fiat 127.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

deano wrote:

Anyone know where I can find such material?

Thanks,
deano.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions and links.

Having done some phoning around, the most cost-effective route for me
to proceed would be to aquire 13 lengths of 'profiled' crash barrier,
as it comes off the production line (or second hand if I can get it)
and then paint it up on site.

Anytthing with a 'closed' cross section such as box or tubular steel,
or timber, is a problem as I only have one central fixing hole on each
post. Therefore I need something that can overlap, allowing left rail,
right rail and post to be secured using one bolt (there are actually
two holes in each post but they are one above the other and not
horizontal).

Having followed up all the links posted, these products are part of a
"system" and come with posts, rails, bolts end-caps etc, and as such
are very pricey and would leave me with stuff not used.

Even if the 'rolled steel' crash barrier might appear unsightly on its
own, having had another look at the site, I don't think it would be too
out of place. The most important criteria here is function over form
and the heavy-duty look of motorway barrier would dissuade drivers from
actually contacting it with their cars, thus giving it an even longer
shelf-life... especially when I've painted it bright yellow

So, I now have a couple of contacts, hopefully coming back to me with a
price for 260m of second-hand crash barrier, profiled steel.

d.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "deano" contains these words:

So, I now have a couple of contacts, hopefully coming back to me with a
price for 260m of second-hand crash barrier, profiled steel.

How second hand? I've seen the odd bit on the M6 that would serve as a
pretzel.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
How second hand? I've seen the odd bit on the M6 that would serve as a
pretzel.

heh heh.
I just hope that if I do get what I need, second hand, I don't then
hear on the radio that someone's nicked 13 lengths of barrier from the
M6!

A mate of mine runs a demolition firm and he reckons he might have some
on a site somewhere that has been used temporarly as part of hoarding
protection from the wrecking machinery, forklifts and trucks.

fingers crossed.

d.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
deano writes
Anyhow, the owner would now like the barrier re-instated using metal
(motorway style) rails, or something along those lines. Each bay is
just over 8' wide and needs to share fixings on each post with the
following bay, i.e. there are 2 holes per post, one above the other.

Anyone know where I can find such material?

Thanks,
deano.

Don't know if you're still looking but;

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/indi.htm

3 metre lengths for £10 each.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:

Don't know if you're still looking but;

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/indi.htm

3 metre lengths for £10 each.
--
Clint Sharp

Thanks Clint.

Good find. If the client wants it painted, I might just give them a
call.

d.