Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Motorway style crash barriers - where to buy?

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:23:41 UTC, Owain
wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
You should know that armco is designed that way to be safe in high
speed
glancing blows. It is designed to deform,. and possibly slice into the
car bodywork to absorb high speed impacts and dissipate the energy over
a distance.
Its use for parking is at best inappropiate, and at worst a waste of
time.
The best material for parking is actually a tough hedge..
However, given what you have, I'd be inclined to use scaffolding poles
covered in foam insulation.

I'd suggest "bendy bollards" or for the post-industrial look, tractor
tyres on edge half-buried in the ground.

Our local Network Rail station has the best solution. Short (2 foot)
pieces of rail embedded vertically in concrete. Cross members made from
more old rail. Still a good post-industrial look, and totally
unforgiving!

I remember seeing a barrier on an industrial estate made from 250mm x 250mm
I beams. Someone had still managed to bend it.

Colin Bignell