WillR

Default Latest Projects - Mission Lamps and Country Style Clock

Finished my latest projects -- a set of Mission Style Clocks in Cherry
and a Country Style Mantle Clock in Red Oak.

http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...sandlamps.html

The clock is similar to a country clock (pg. 88) in "(The Complete Guide
to) Making Wooden Clocks" by John Nelson. It has been re-proportioned
and changed to a better style of joinery (IMO). (No butt joints nails or
screws now -- just a bit of glue and a couple of decorative nails in the
back.) Also added a rear door so it has a compartment, and a "secret
compartment" under the drawer.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Robatoy

http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...ksandlamps.htm

The clock is similar to a country clock (pg. 88) in "(The Complete Guide
to) Making Wooden Clocks" by John Nelson. It has been re-proportioned
and changed to a better style of joinery (IMO). (No butt joints nails or
screws now -- just a bit of glue and a couple of decorative nails in the
back.) Also added a rear door so it has a compartment, and a "secret
compartment" under the drawer.

Nice!
I like simple straight lines like the Stickley designs.
Have you considered simple angular stained glass for the shade?
WillR

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
WillR wrote:

Finished my latest projects -- a set of Mission Style Clocks in Cherry
and a Country Style Mantle Clock in Red Oak.

http://woodwork.pmccl.com/Business/p...ksandlamps.htm

The clock is similar to a country clock (pg. 88) in "(The Complete Guide
to) Making Wooden Clocks" by John Nelson. It has been re-proportioned
and changed to a better style of joinery (IMO). (No butt joints nails or
screws now -- just a bit of glue and a couple of decorative nails in the
back.) Also added a rear door so it has a compartment, and a "secret
compartment" under the drawer.

Nice!
I like simple straight lines like the Stickley designs.
Have you considered simple angular stained glass for the shade?

For the mission style? Exactly -- the store has someone who does stained
glass shades and windows -- but it _really_ drives up the price --
outside the range of their customers... So cloth for now... But I will
do another set for myself -- and maybe I will buy the shades.

Hmmm -- I can get angular clock faces -- interesting thought...

When I do the mission style clock maybe an trapezoidal clock face and
lightly smoked glass for the "viewport".

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Robatoy

In article ,
WillR wrote:

the store has someone who does stained
glass shades and windows -- but it _really_ drives up the price --

I can't imagine it being too crazy if you were to acquire the ability
yourself. Simple does it. 2 - 3 colours. Maybe just one.

Not quite in this form, but in that direction. I think that would blend
well with mission stuff.
http://www.taliesinbookstore.com:80/...sp?sku=S2306CW

For down-the-road....
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 30 May 2005 09:06:55 -0400, WillR
wrote:

For the mission style? Exactly -- the store has someone who does stained
glass shades and windows -- but it _really_ drives up the price --
outside the range of their customers... So cloth for now...

From Gustav Stickley's 1910 catalogue

#604 tea table $4.75

#369 Morris recliner chair $37

#625 electric lamp, fumed oak and copper, with copper fretwork and opal
glass shade $40

#625 lamp, with shade of Japanese wicker $20

So we see that the electric light fittings are not only _very_
expensive, but also that glasswork has always been an expensive part of
the lamp.

I'm not a glassworker, but I do work with one (often on Stickley style
work). We have no end of trouble with pricing if there's glass involved
- the amount of hand work involved puts the costs up, but trying to find
customers who will accept this in th efinal price is quite another
matter.