Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BMW on Motorway??

In article ,
NY wrote:
Good luck running different sized tyres on the driven axle. The
differential will over-heat and fail.

Sounds improbable. Maybe a limited slip diff wouldn't like it but I
can't see a regular diff being seriously stressed by a small
difference in rolling radius. Many space savers *are* smaller in
terms of overall diameter/rolling radius.

I'm talking about normal use over a period of time. Which only an
idiot would do with a space saver. The gears and bearings in the
differential part ain't rated for continuous use. If you've actually
ever stripped one down, many have plain bearings for the planet
wheels. While everything else has ball bearings.

Does it matter whether or not the space-saver tyre is on a driven axle
with a differential, for the handling of the car?

Dunno. I was merely pointing out the possibility of differential damage if
different sized tyres are used long term.

--
*A fool and his money can throw one hell of a party.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.