Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BMW on Motorway??

On 21/02/2019 18:31, NY wrote:
I'm impressed that on a road that is not a motorway or dual carriageway
all the way you were able to average over 60 mph.

Ive done up to 130mph on ordinary A roads and equivalent, back in the day

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2019 18:31, NY wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 19/02/2019 14:10, Tim+ wrote:
F news@nowhere Wrote in message:
I used to drive my father's Ford Anglia 1200 to see the then girlfriend.
12 miles in 11 minutes with my foot down to the floor and the speedo up
against the stop at 92. Several pretty burnt out valves when he sold it
when I went to college but I had had some fun.-- F

Yep, 65mph in an Anglia will do that. ;-) (12 miles in 11 minutes
is nowhere *near* 92 mph).

Tim

It wasn't flat out all the way...

As a matter of interest, what sort of roads was it?

Pretty straight A road late at night with no traffic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
As a matter of interest, what sort of roads was it?

Pretty straight A road late at night with no traffic.

And no predatory policemen or traffic cameras. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2019 20:58, NY wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
As a matter of interest, what sort of roads was it?

Pretty straight A road late at night with no traffic.

And no predatory policemen or traffic cameras. :-)

Not around in those days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Never heard of economy of design?

strange claim

A camel being a horse made by a committee of engineers?

The SD1 suspension works pretty well for what it is. Didn't need much
in the way of modification for the considerable success the car had in
racing and rallying.

how is that relevant?

Becuase the strut front suspension is as basic as you can get. The bottom
of the strut is located 'in and out' by a simple control arm, not
wishbone. And the 'fore aft' by the anti-roll bar.

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
NY wrote:
wrote in message
There were even cars with rubber band suspension.

If you mean the sort used by BL, I'd guess cost ruled it out rather than
fundamental problem.

what car did BL ever produce with rubber band suspension?
Have you been having a tipple?

I suppose you *could* describe BL's Hydrolastic suspension as using
rubber bands, but they are more like rubber bushes (doughnut shaped
rubber between "axle" and body).

Of course - have several of them. I've never heard of any car using rubber
bands, and assumed that was what meant.

Perhaps Mr Purr would enlighten us?

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I saw a nice expensive BMW delivering fast food...what is the world coming
to ?....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

I saw a nice expensive BMW delivering fast food...

Likely some kid using their parents car or a stolen one.

what is the world coming to ?....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 February 2019 11:25:23 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

Never heard of economy of design?

strange claim

A camel being a horse made by a committee of engineers?

The SD1 suspension works pretty well for what it is. Didn't need much
in the way of modification for the considerable success the car had in
racing and rallying.

how is that relevant?

Becuase the strut front suspension is as basic as you can get.

nonsense. I can only conclude you're not familiar with microcars.

The bottom
of the strut is located 'in and out' by a simple control arm, not
wishbone. And the 'fore aft' by the anti-roll bar.

complications numerous horrible cars have done without.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/02/2019 18:15, F wrote:
On 19/02/2019 22:21, Andy Burns wrote:
F wrote:

The VSL cameras are also operating when the display is showing
national speed limit. They're not turned off and so will catch anyone
ignoring the NSL.

There's been a big dose of "fake news" from social media regarding smart
motorways and speed cameras recently ...

But this isn't fake news: I've seen them flash.

But at what speed? They do not get me at 86MPH

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 03:44:46 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I saw a nice expensive BMW delivering fast food...

Likely some kid using their parents car or a stolen one.

Senile driveling idiot! BG

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2019 12:02, NY wrote:
wrote in message
There were even cars with rubber band suspension.

If you mean the sort used by BL, I'd guess cost ruled it out rather
than a
fundamental problem.

what car did BL ever produce with rubber band suspension?
Have you been having a tipple?

I suppose you *could* describe BL's Hydrolastic suspension as using
rubber bands, but they are more like rubber bushes (doughnut shaped
rubber between "axle" and body).

ITYM rubber cone suspension, as used on most original Minis?

Hydrolastic was a fluid-based system - by all accounts quite effective
if done properly, but expensive. Used for a short while on Minis in the 60s.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2019 10:39, RJH wrote:
On 21/02/2019 12:02, NY wrote:
wrote in message
There were even cars with rubber band suspension.

If you mean the sort used by BL, I'd guess cost ruled it out rather
than a
fundamental problem.

what car did BL ever produce with rubber band suspension?
Have you been having a tipple?

I suppose you *could* describe BL's Hydrolastic suspension as using
rubber bands, but they are more like rubber bushes (doughnut shaped
rubber between "axle" and body).

ITYM rubber cone suspension, as used on most original Minis?

Hydrolastic was a fluid-based system - by all accounts quite effective
if done properly, but expensive. Used for a short while on Minis in the
60s.

And 1100s. And IIRC 1300s and Maxis.

And in fact dozens of te ****ers.

It seems it did use rubber springs as well.

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.a...tic_suspension

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

Never heard of economy of design?

strange claim

A camel being a horse made by a committee of engineers?

The SD1 suspension works pretty well for what it is. Didn't need much
in the way of modification for the considerable success the car had in
racing and rallying.

how is that relevant?

Becuase the strut front suspension is as basic as you can get.

nonsense. I can only conclude you're not familiar with microcars.

I'm not familiar with pedal cars either.

The bottom
of the strut is located 'in and out' by a simple control arm, not
wishbone. And the 'fore aft' by the anti-roll bar.

complications numerous horrible cars have done without.

Then how is the bottom of the strut located? You either need a wishbone or
a series of tie rods.

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
On 21/02/2019 12:02, NY wrote:
wrote in message
There were even cars with rubber band suspension.

If you mean the sort used by BL, I'd guess cost ruled it out rather
than a
fundamental problem.

what car did BL ever produce with rubber band suspension?
Have you been having a tipple?

I suppose you *could* describe BL's Hydrolastic suspension as using
rubber bands, but they are more like rubber bushes (doughnut shaped
rubber between "axle" and body).

ITYM rubber cone suspension, as used on most original Minis?

Hydrolastic was a fluid-based system - by all accounts quite effective
if done properly, but expensive. Used for a short while on Minis in the
60s.

Yes - I had an Austin 1800 with it. And unlike a spring/damper setup, it
tends to stay on spec throughout the life of the car - bar the odd pump
up. Unlike a conventional system where springs break and shocks wear out.

--
*Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 23 February 2019 11:10:07 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Never heard of economy of design?

strange claim

A camel being a horse made by a committee of engineers?

The SD1 suspension works pretty well for what it is. Didn't need much
in the way of modification for the considerable success the car had in
racing and rallying.

how is that relevant?

Becuase the strut front suspension is as basic as you can get.

nonsense. I can only conclude you're not familiar with microcars.

I'm not familiar with pedal cars either.

The bottom
of the strut is located 'in and out' by a simple control arm, not
wishbone. And the 'fore aft' by the anti-roll bar.

complications numerous horrible cars have done without.

Then how is the bottom of the strut located? You either need a wishbone or
a series of tie rods.

well I did let you know what to google.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
I saw a nice expensive BMW delivering fast food...

Likely some kid using their parents car or a stolen one.
what is the world coming to ?....

given that most of the new BMW Audi and Mercedes on the road are leased he
was just probably trying to meet the payments.........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
I saw a nice expensive BMW delivering fast food...

Likely some kid using their parents car or a stolen one.
what is the world coming to ?....

given that most of the new BMW Audi and Mercedes on the road are leased

Where are you getting that from ?

he was just probably trying to meet the payments.........

Unlikely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 04:12:44 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

As unlikely as your bull**** above about the kid using a stolen car? VBG

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[Hydrolastic]

Yes - I had an Austin 1800 with it. And unlike a spring/damper setup, it
tends to stay on spec throughout the life of the car - bar the odd pump
up. Unlike a conventional system where springs break and shocks wear out.

I inherited my Dad's Austin 1800

Then there was the time it was sitting down on the offside, so I
asked them to pump up the suspension. Turned out the engine mount
had failed, and its downward progress had been arrested by the
shearing off of a pipe stub on the main hydrolastic unit :-( £££

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

The VSL cameras are also operating when the display is showing
national speed limit. They're not turned off and so will catch anyone
ignoring the NSL.

There's been a big dose of "fake news" from social media regarding smart
motorways and speed cameras recently ...

But this isn't fake news: I've seen them flash.

But at what speed? They do not get me at 86MPH

:-)

It was M62 at Hartshead Moor on the opposite carriageway so difficult to
judge speed. I would have thought 80+.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

Never heard of economy of design?

strange claim

A camel being a horse made by a committee of engineers?

The SD1 suspension works pretty well for what it is. Didn't
need much in the way of modification for the considerable
success the car had in racing and rallying.

how is that relevant?

Becuase the strut front suspension is as basic as you can get.

nonsense. I can only conclude you're not familiar with microcars.

I'm not familiar with pedal cars either.

The bottom of the strut is located 'in and out' by a simple
control arm, not wishbone. And the 'fore aft' by the anti-roll bar.

complications numerous horrible cars have done without.

Then how is the bottom of the strut located? You either need a
wishbone or a series of tie rods.

well I did let you know what to google.

Thanks for confirming you are guessing.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Then there was the time it was sitting down on the offside, so I
asked them to pump up the suspension. Turned out the engine mount
had failed, and its downward progress had been arrested by the
shearing off of a pipe stub on the main hydrolastic unit :-( £££

Yes - that was a problem. I think they rusted through too. Better design
would have been a pipe which screwed or whatever into the hydrolastic unit.

Did it have problems with the driveshaft to hub splines on one side only?

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 February 2019 13:33:57 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Never heard of economy of design?

strange claim

A camel being a horse made by a committee of engineers?

The SD1 suspension works pretty well for what it is. Didn't
need much in the way of modification for the considerable
success the car had in racing and rallying.

how is that relevant?

Becuase the strut front suspension is as basic as you can get.

nonsense. I can only conclude you're not familiar with microcars.

I'm not familiar with pedal cars either.

The bottom of the strut is located 'in and out' by a simple
control arm, not wishbone. And the 'fore aft' by the anti-roll bar.

complications numerous horrible cars have done without.

Then how is the bottom of the strut located? You either need a
wishbone or a series of tie rods.

well I did let you know what to google.

Thanks for confirming you are guessing.

lol. He knows nothing about microcars yet tells someone that knows of many with simpler suspension systems etc etc. Idiot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Thanks for confirming you are guessing.

lol. He knows nothing about microcars yet tells someone that knows of
many with simpler suspension systems etc etc. Idiot.

I don't know anything about pedal cars either. Or Sinclair C5s. Or any
other things you try and muddy the water with.

Unless you consider the Ford Anglia which started this discussion a micro
car. Nothing would surprise me with you.

--
*The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in school was my blood alcohol content*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 February 2019 15:10:03 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

Thanks for confirming you are guessing.

lol. He knows nothing about microcars yet tells someone that knows of
many with simpler suspension systems etc etc. Idiot.

I don't know anything about pedal cars either. Or Sinclair C5s.

not relevant

Or any
other things you try and muddy the water with.

Odd, I don't recall muddying the waters with anything at all.

Unless you consider the Ford Anglia which started this discussion a micro
car. Nothing would surprise me with you.

so more bs. When you don't have a clue, telling others they don't have a clue is not a solution. Unless your aim is to play the fool.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[Austin 1800]

Did it have problems with the driveshaft to hub splines on one side only?

I remember there being some sort of disturbing vibration with a
reasonable amount of lock, especially pulling off with the
caravan behind. In the end, whilst on holiday, I took it into a
garage in North Berwick and they changed the CV joints.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

F wrote:

The VSL cameras are also operating when the display is showing
national speed limit. They're not turned off and so will catch
anyone ignoring the NSL.

There's been a big dose of "fake news" from social media regarding
smart
motorways and speed cameras recently ...

But this isn't fake news: I've seen them flash.

But at what speed? They do not get me at 86MPH

:-)

It was M62 at Hartshead Moor on the opposite carriageway so difficult to
judge speed. I would have thought 80+.

Might have been the one that overtook me when I was doing 86MPH:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 18:15:22 +0000, F wrote:

The VSL cameras are also operating when the display is showing
national speed limit. They're not turned off and so will catch

anyone
ignoring the NSL.

There's been a big dose of "fake news" from social media regarding

smart motorways and speed cameras recently ...

But this isn't fake news: I've seen them flash.

Didn't think the per lane VSL cameras flashed but as most of the
motorway driving I do isn't on "smart" motorways could be wrong. The
"ordinary" cameras bolted to the sides uprights of the gantries do
flash.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 04/03/2019 17:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 18:15:22 +0000, F wrote:

The VSL cameras are also operating when the display is showing
national speed limit. They're not turned off and so will catch

anyone
ignoring the NSL.

There's been a big dose of "fake news" from social media regarding

smart motorways and speed cameras recently ...

But this isn't fake news: I've seen them flash.

Didn't think the per lane VSL cameras flashed but as most of the
motorway driving I do isn't on "smart" motorways could be wrong. The
"ordinary" cameras bolted to the sides uprights of the gantries do
flash.

It's not going to take long for me to find out:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Didn't think the per lane VSL cameras flashed but as most of the
motorway driving I do isn't on "smart" motorways could be wrong.

I've certainly seen the HADECS3 gantry cameras give the double-flash in
a "smart" section, but I've only seen that happen when a non-NSL speed
is displayed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2019 21:20, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Didn't think the per lane VSL cameras flashed but as most of the
motorway driving I do isn't on "smart" motorways could be wrong.

I've certainly seen the HADECS3 gantry cameras give the double-flash in
a "smart" section, but I've only seen that happen when a non-NSL speed
is displayed.

The gantry was showing NSL when I saw the flash. It looks like there's
some inconsistency in the way they're set up. And just to keep on-topic,
it was a BMW that was flashed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Didn't think the per lane VSL cameras flashed but as most of the
motorway driving I do isn't on "smart" motorways could be wrong.

I've certainly seen the HADECS3 gantry cameras give the double-flash in
a "smart" section, but I've only seen that happen when a non-NSL speed
is displayed.

The gantry was showing NSL when I saw the flash. It looks like there's
some inconsistency in the way they're set up. And just to keep on-topic,
it was a BMW that was flashed.

NSL is 70mph. If the BMW was doing more than that it might have beeen
flashed.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2019 11:04, charles wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Didn't think the per lane VSL cameras flashed but as most of the
motorway driving I do isn't on "smart" motorways could be wrong.

I've certainly seen the HADECS3 gantry cameras give the double-flash in
a "smart" section, but I've only seen that happen when a non-NSL speed
is displayed.

The gantry was showing NSL when I saw the flash. It looks like there's
some inconsistency in the way they're set up. And just to keep on-topic,
it was a BMW that was flashed.

NSL is 70mph. If the BMW was doing more than that it might have beeen
flashed.

It was doing more than 70mph (NSL showing on the gantry): that's why it
was flashed.