Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cleaning the cooker

This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right
off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.
Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 15:41:01 +0100, TimW wrote:

This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right
off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.
Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

What about a steam cleaner?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TimW" wrote in message
news
This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the enamel
and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating.

Angle Grinder
we have carbon steel frying pans (pub kitchen) and when the underneath gets
caked in burnt on fat thats the only thing that will remove it with a
grinder wire brush

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/18 15:41, TimW wrote:
This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right
off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

Scrap it off and then use wet and dry and buff with T-cut.

Or get teh whole top re-enamelled

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.
Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

Nope. Maybe a blowlamp would work

TW

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/18 15:46, Scott wrote:
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 15:41:01 +0100, TimW wrote:

This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right
off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.
Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

What about a steam cleaner?

ROFLMAO. You have never owned an Aga have you?

--
€œA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€œWe did this ourselves.€

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 August 2018 15:41:04 UTC+1, TimW wrote:
This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right
off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.
Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

Sodium hydroxide.
Dangerous stuff.
Dunno if you can still buy it these days

You used to be able to buy it in a "jellied" form which you plastered on and left for a couple of hours and then washed off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 August 2018 15:41:04 UTC+1, TimW wrote:
A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.

Paint scraper

Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

Stovax glass cleaner has been mentioned.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message news

"TimW" wrote in message
news
This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating.

Angle Grinder
we have carbon steel frying pans (pub kitchen) and when the underneath
gets caked in burnt on fat thats the only thing that will remove it with a
grinder wire brush

That’s going to really **** the aga enamel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Saturday, 4 August 2018 15:41:04 UTC+1, TimW wrote:
This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right
off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.
Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

Sodium hydroxide.
Dangerous stuff.
Dunno if you can still buy it these days

Corse you can, as a drain cleaner.

You used to be able to buy it in a "jellied" form which you
plastered on and left for a couple of hours and then washed off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 04:58:35 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

Sodium hydroxide.
Dangerous stuff.
Dunno if you can still buy it these days

Corse you can, as a drain cleaner.

Forcing one of two pints of it down your throat would be the thing to do,
you foul-mouthed senile cretin!

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 04/08/2018 19:35, newshound wrote:
I don't think even the old Methylene Chloride "Nitromors" will touch the
worst of it. Boiling, strong sodium hydroxide solution probably gives
you the best chance. Not recommended unless you are used to handling
aggressive chemicals.

The lacquers from oxidised oils and greases are *very* chemically
resistant. Otherwise you are down to mechanical methods (wire brush,
sanding disk).

Sodium hydroxide, (dangerous, 1 drop in the eye and you are blinded)
I think this is what the `oven cleaner companies` use but in gel form to
avoid splashes.
it would help if the parts concerned could be diassembled and taken
outside and soaked in a tray for an hour.
Available on ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sodium-Hy...wAAOSwc2FaFepm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 20:37, ss wrote:
On 04/08/2018 19:35, newshound wrote:
I don't think even the old Methylene Chloride "Nitromors" will touch
the worst of it. Boiling, strong sodium hydroxide solution probably
gives you the best chance. Not recommended unless you are used to
handling aggressive chemicals.

The lacquers from oxidised oils and greases are *very* chemically
resistant. Otherwise you are down to mechanical methods (wire brush,
sanding disk).

Sodium hydroxide, (dangerous, 1 drop in the eye and you are blinded)
I think this is what the `oven cleaner companies` use but in gel form to
avoid splashes.
it would help if the parts concerned could be diassembled and taken
outside and soaked in a tray for an hour.
Available on ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sodium-Hy...wAAOSwc2FaFepm

When were were students, a place we rented had a Baby Belling cooker. It
was pretty grim when we moved in- various oven cleaners didn't really do
the job.

I mixed up some strong NaOH sol., immersed the bits I could, and used a
paint brush to apply the rest- covering it with kitchen roll and cling film.

After maybe and hour, I cleaned it all off and there wasn't a trace of
old grease etc.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 04/08/2018 20:37, ss wrote:
[...]

Thats rather different to the top of an Aga tho. Certainly worth
trying, but it wouldnt be surprising if its much harder to fix.

But surely it must be well known how to fix an Aga by now ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 04/08/18 20:37, ss wrote:
On 04/08/2018 19:35, newshound wrote:
I don't think even the old Methylene Chloride "Nitromors" will touch
the worst of it. Boiling, strong sodium hydroxide solution probably
gives you the best chance. Not recommended unless you are used to
handling aggressive chemicals.

The lacquers from oxidised oils and greases are *very* chemically
resistant. Otherwise you are down to mechanical methods (wire brush,
sanding disk).

Sodium hydroxide, (dangerous, 1 drop in the eye and you are blinded)
I think this is what the `oven cleaner companies` use but in gel form to
avoid splashes.

Or just buy it as 'caustic soda' at any decent hardware store.

it would help if the parts concerned could be diassembled and taken
outside and soaked in a tray for an hour.
Available on ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sodium-Hy...wAAOSwc2FaFepm

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:
This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right
off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.
Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

TW

Have you got one of these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/142132759230? Much
better than a blunt knife.

As others have suggested, caustic soda may soften it up.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2018 21:45, Tim+ wrote:
TimW wrote:
This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right
off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.
Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

TW

Have you got one of these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/142132759230? Much
better than a blunt knife.

But only on reasonably flat surfaces. Great on ceramic hobs, but Aga
hotplates are machined cast iron and the enamelled parts are not
particularly flat.

As others have suggested, caustic soda may soften it up.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 August 2018 15:41:04 UTC+1, TimW wrote:

This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right
off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.
Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

TW

I've just been cleaning off kitchen grease today. Tried for the first time what I call public toilet cleaner on it - and it's pretty good. It's what's used industrially for toilets, available from janitorial supplies. Does not smell good.

If you're going to scrape it you need to use plastic, else the enamel will get trashed.

If using caustic I'd brush it onto the heated surface. DO wear eye protection.

Steam cleaners are good for some kitchen grease, certainly not all but it's probably an easy way to make some progress.

Whatever you use may need many soakings. Patience is better than wrecking the finish.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/18 21:45, Tim+ wrote:

Have you got one of these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/142132759230? Much
better than a blunt knife.

yes, but the blade scratches the enamel.
TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/18 20:37, ss wrote:
On 04/08/2018 19:35, newshound wrote:
I don't think even the old Methylene Chloride "Nitromors" will touch
the worst of it. Boiling, strong sodium hydroxide solution probably
gives you the best chance. Not recommended unless you are used to
handling aggressive chemicals.

The lacquers from oxidised oils and greases are *very* chemically
resistant. Otherwise you are down to mechanical methods (wire brush,
sanding disk).

Sodium hydroxide, (dangerous, 1 drop in the eye and you are blinded)
I think this is what the `oven cleaner companies` use but in gel form to
avoid splashes.
it would help if the parts concerned could be diassembled and taken
outside and soaked in a tray for an hour.
Available on ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sodium-Hy...wAAOSwc2FaFepm

Even sidium hydrxide does not work on this.

I have had an aga for 14 years....

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 04/08/18 20:37, ss wrote:
[...]

Are you saying that that is a very fundamental design flaw
and that the only viable approach is to clean the enamel
top after every use or so for cooking so the fat doesnt
bet baked on ?

Have you tried conc nitric acid ? That should get it off, but isn't that
easy to get.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 11:53:57 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

For badly burned on food in pans I use an abrasive brush in my drill. It is slightly abrasive, it may scratch the enamel. Very quick and effective with the pan.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Nylon...AOSw5IJWb6q 2

There are also angle grinder versions
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75mm-Nylo...wAAOSwj0RbKnfz
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many years ago, I heard this terrible loud hissing and gurgling from a few
houses away. It was, apparently somebody who took their old trusty cooker
outside and powerwashed it.
I know nothing about the type of cooker you are talking about but for a
start what were the owners thinking not cleaning it for so long, and
secondly can it be dismantled and the bits power washed out in the garden a
bit at a time?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"TimW" wrote in message
news
This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the enamel
and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler places it's
soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right off only on the
very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious. Is
there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Many years ago, I heard this terrible loud hissing and gurgling from a few
houses away. It was, apparently somebody who took their old trusty cooker
outside and powerwashed it.

I know nothing about the type of cooker you are talking about but for a
start what were the owners thinking not cleaning it for so long,

They had enough of a clue to realise that works fine like that.

and secondly can it be dismantled and the bits power washed out in the
garden a bit at a time?

Won't work with an aga with the baked on stuff.

"TimW" wrote in message
news
This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right off
only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious. Is
there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/18 06:42, lopt wrote:

news
On 04/08/18 20:37, ss wrote:
[...]

Yes.

Have you tried conc nitric acid ?Â* That should get it off, but isn't
that easy to get.

what does that do9 to carbon?

--
€œA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€œWe did this ourselves.€

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"lopt" wrote in message

news
On 05/08/18 06:42, lopt wrote:

news On 04/08/18 20:37, ss wrote:
[...]

Molten potassium nitrate works even better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 17:50:13 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

I know nothing about the type of cooker you are talking about but for a
start what were the owners thinking not cleaning it for so long,

They had enough of a clue to realise that works fine like that.

A senile oaf like you shouldn't even use a word like "clue", you clueless
idiot!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 August 2018 08:13:11 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Many years ago, I heard this terrible loud hissing and gurgling from a few
houses away. It was, apparently somebody who took their old trusty cooker
outside and powerwashed it.

That's okay with gas cookers, not so wise for electric ones in case the water gets in the electrics, and definately not recommended for Agas as they're filled with insulation which would get waterlogged.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 August 2018 06:53:11 UTC+1, lopt wrote:
Are you saying that that is a very fundamental design flaw
and that the only viable approach is to clean the enamel
top after every use or so for cooking so the fat doesnt
bet baked on ?

Probably.

If you don't have a live-in kitchenmaid or tweeny who can do it at 5 am every morning, the daily woman 'for the rough' may be entrusted with this work under supervision.

Those, on the other hand, for whom domestic arrangements have moved on since 1939, and who would like to reduce their energy consumption to approx 1/32 of an Aga, will have bought a cooker that can be turned on and off, and wiped clean with a damp cloth.

A local 'boutique' charity shop has one as a display piece.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 08:13:11 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Many years ago, I heard this terrible loud hissing and gurgling from a
few houses away. It was, apparently somebody who took their old trusty
cooker outside and powerwashed it.

That's okay with gas cookers, not so wise for electric ones in case the
water gets in the electrics, and definately not recommended for Agas as
they're filled with insulation which would get waterlogged.

Bearing im mind the weight of an AGA, I can't imagine anyone "taking it
outside to wash".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 August 2018 13:43:57 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 08:13:11 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

Many years ago, I heard this terrible loud hissing and gurgling from a few
houses away. It was, apparently somebody who took their old trusty cooker
outside and powerwashed it.

That's okay with gas cookers, not so wise for electric ones in case the water gets in the electrics, and definately not recommended for Agas as they're filled with insulation which would get waterlogged.

Owain

Every part of an electric oven can be wet washed as long as it's thoroughly dried before reconnection, except motor bearings.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/18 06:42, lopt wrote:

news
On 04/08/18 20:37, ss wrote:
[...]

It removes the iron!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/2018 10:19, lopt wrote:

news
On 05/08/18 06:42, lopt wrote:

news On 04/08/18 20:37, ss wrote:
[...]

No, it doesn't. Even fuming nitric doesn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/18 06:42, lopt wrote:

news On 04/08/18 20:37, ss wrote:
[...]

No it doesnt with conc nitric acid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 10:19, lopt wrote:

news
On 05/08/18 06:42, lopt wrote:

news On 04/08/18 20:37, ss wrote:
[...]

Yes it does with boiling conc nitric.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 August 2018 22:52:01 UTC+1, lopt wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 10:19, lopt wrote:

Have you tried conc nitric acid ? That should get it off, but isn't
that easy to get.

what does that do9 to carbon?

Dissolves it.

No, it doesn't. Even fuming nitric doesn't.

Yes it does with boiling conc nitric.

There are limits to what I'll use as a cleaning chemical. Boiling strong fuming acids are a good 2 steps beyond that point.

NT