Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cleaning the cooker

wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 22:52:01 UTC+1, lopt wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 10:19, lopt wrote:

Have you tried conc nitric acid ? That should get it off, but isn't
that easy to get.

what does that do9 to carbon?

Dissolves it.

No, it doesn't. Even fuming nitric doesn't.

Yes it does with boiling conc nitric.

There are limits to what I'll use as a cleaning chemical. Boiling strong
fuming acids are a good 2 steps beyond that point.

But there isnt anything else except molten potassium nitrate
that will get that carbon off without damaging the enamel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 August 2018 00:25:21 UTC+1, lopt wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 22:52:01 UTC+1, lopt wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 10:19, lopt wrote:

Have you tried conc nitric acid ? That should get it off, but isn't
that easy to get.

what does that do9 to carbon?

Dissolves it.

No, it doesn't. Even fuming nitric doesn't.

Yes it does with boiling conc nitric.

There are limits to what I'll use as a cleaning chemical. Boiling strong
fuming acids are a good 2 steps beyond that point.

But there isnt anything else except molten potassium nitrate
that will get that carbon off without damaging the enamel.

Despite not knowing enough I'm not entirely convinced. Carbonised stuff comes off the enamel hob here ok. How well is this carbon bonded? Why would nutshells not work?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/18 00:25, lopt wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 22:52:01 UTC+1, loptÂ* wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 10:19, lopt wrote:

Have you tried conc nitric acid ?Â* That should get it off, but
isn't
that easy to get.

what does that do9 to carbon?

Dissolves it.

No, it doesn't. Even fuming nitric doesn't.

Yes it does with boiling conc nitric.

There are limits to what I'll use as a cleaning chemical. Boiling
strong fuming acids are a good 2 steps beyond that point.

But there isnt anything else except molten potassium nitrate
that will get that carbon off without damaging the enamel.

Possibly oxy acetylene will.

I have had some success with mechanical abrasives and then t-cutting the
enamel back.

BUT the general consensus is after 20 years get the top re-enamelled for
a couple of grand.

There is a definite market for something like a plumbres mat that fits
round an aga ring to catch all the splatters..

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/18 00:25, lopt wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 22:52:01 UTC+1, loptÂ* wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 10:19, lopt wrote:

Have you tried conc nitric acid ?Â* That should get it off, but
isn't
that easy to get.

what does that do9 to carbon?

Dissolves it.

No, it doesn't. Even fuming nitric doesn't.

Yes it does with boiling conc nitric.

There are limits to what I'll use as a cleaning chemical. Boiling
strong fuming acids are a good 2 steps beyond that point.

But there isnt anything else except molten potassium nitrate
that will get that carbon off without damaging the enamel.

The one or two detachable parts come clean after several cycles in the
dishwasher, just as an old baking tray with similar burned on fat will
do. Obv I can't soak the cooker hot for several hours, but I don't
understand why there is no norma cleaning product.
Tw
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 22:52:01 UTC+1, lopt wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 10:19, lopt wrote:

Have you tried conc nitric acid ? That should get it off, but isn't
that easy to get.

what does that do9 to carbon?

Dissolves it.

No, it doesn't. Even fuming nitric doesn't.

Yes it does with boiling conc nitric.

There are limits to what I'll use as a cleaning chemical

Boiling strong fuming acids are a good 2 steps beyond that point.

Did ye nay ken that Wee Jock McSpeed there, has a big mug of th'acid
with his porridge of a morning ? An he sprinkles it o'er his chips
insteed o' the vinegar.

Och aye, the noo !

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 06/08/18 00:25, lopt wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 22:52:01 UTC+1, lopt wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 10:19, lopt wrote:

Have you tried conc nitric acid ? That should get it off, but
isn't
that easy to get.

what does that do9 to carbon?

Dissolves it.

No, it doesn't. Even fuming nitric doesn't.

Yes it does with boiling conc nitric.

There are limits to what I'll use as a cleaning chemical. Boiling strong
fuming acids are a good 2 steps beyond that point.

But there isnt anything else except molten potassium nitrate
that will get that carbon off without damaging the enamel.

Possibly oxy acetylene will.

Yeah, but it might not do the enamel much good.

I have had some success with mechanical abrasives and then t-cutting the
enamel back.

Sure, but I try molten potassium nitrate first.

BUT the general consensus is after 20 years get the top re-enamelled for a
couple of grand.

Sure but thats obviously a very expensive approach.

There is a definite market for something like a plumbres mat that fits
round an aga ring to catch all the splatters..

Personally it makes a lot more sense to give up on Agas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TimW" wrote in message
news
On 06/08/18 00:25, lopt wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 22:52:01 UTC+1, lopt wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 10:19, lopt wrote:

Have you tried conc nitric acid ? That should get it off, but
isn't
that easy to get.

what does that do9 to carbon?

Dissolves it.

No, it doesn't. Even fuming nitric doesn't.

Yes it does with boiling conc nitric.

There are limits to what I'll use as a cleaning chemical. Boiling strong
fuming acids are a good 2 steps beyond that point.

But there isnt anything else except molten potassium nitrate
that will get that carbon off without damaging the enamel.

The one or two detachable parts come clean after several cycles in the
dishwasher, just as an old baking tray with similar burned on fat will do.

I dont find that with the glass bowels from these,
with either Finish or the Aldi dishwasher tablets.
https://www.myer.com.au/shop/mystore... ZAaKgodgaMGuw

Obv I can't soak the cooker hot for several hours, but I don't understand
why there is no norma cleaning product.

Basically there isnt anything that works with the worst baked on carbon.

Normal ovens get rid of that by pyrolytic burning the carbon
at much higher than normal oven temperatures. That might
work with an oxy acetylene torch with an Aga, but might not
do the enamel much good; There must be a reason why it
is possible to get the top re-enamelled, but that isnt cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2018 20:19, harry wrote:

In the recent past, Agas were status symbols for the brain dead/wealthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_saga
However,they were never used, too much trouble, fuel and expense.
There was a conventional cooker next to them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGA_cooker#Energy_use

Just like renewable energy, there is always a real generator next to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
On 06/08/2018 20:19, harry wrote:

In the recent past, Agas were status symbols for the brain dead/wealthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_saga
However,they were never used, too much trouble, fuel and expense.
There was a conventional cooker next to them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGA_cooker#Energy_use

Just like renewable energy, there is always a real generator next to them.

Daughter 2 has an AGA - nothing else

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 August 2018 08:32:46 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 06/08/2018 20:19, harry wrote:

In the recent past, Agas were status symbols for the brain dead/wealthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_saga
However,they were never used, too much trouble, fuel and expense.
There was a conventional cooker next to them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGA_cooker#Energy_use

Just like renewable energy, there is always a real generator next to them.

Is coal a renewable energy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 7 August 2018 08:32:46 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 06/08/2018 20:19, harry wrote:

In the recent past, Agas were status symbols for the brain
dead/wealthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_saga
However,they were never used, too much trouble, fuel and expense.
There was a conventional cooker next to them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGA_cooker#Energy_use

Just like renewable energy, there is always a real generator next to
them.

Is coal a renewable energy?

Corse it is, just over a much longer period than with most of the rest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 August 2018 19:35:59 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"harry" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 7 August 2018 08:32:46 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 06/08/2018 20:19, harry wrote:

In the recent past, Agas were status symbols for the brain
dead/wealthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_saga
However,they were never used, too much trouble, fuel and expense.
There was a conventional cooker next to them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGA_cooker#Energy_use

Just like renewable energy, there is always a real generator next to
them.

Is coal a renewable energy?

Corse it is, just over a much longer period than with most of the rest.

Drivel.
Coal is no longer being laid down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 7 August 2018 08:32:46 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 06/08/2018 20:19, harry wrote:

In the recent past, Agas were status symbols for the brain
dead/wealthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_saga
However,they were never used, too much trouble, fuel and expense.
There was a conventional cooker next to them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGA_cooker#Energy_use

Just like renewable energy, there is always a real generator next to
them.

Is coal a renewable energy?

Corse it is, just over a much longer period than with most of the rest.

Drivel.
Coal is no longer being laid down.

Something else harry knows nothing about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles Wrote in message:
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
On 06/08/2018 20:19, harry wrote:

In the recent past, Agas were status symbols for the brain dead/wealthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_saga
However,they were never used, too much trouble, fuel and expense.
There was a conventional cooker next to them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGA_cooker#Energy_use

Just like renewable energy, there is always a real generator next to them.

Daughter 2 has an AGA - nothing else

Is it clean though?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW Wrote in message:
This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right
off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.
Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

TW

No experience of this phenomenon but... BBQ cleaners? Oven
cleaner aerosol stuff?
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy Wrote in message:
On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 11:53:57 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 4 August 2018 15:41:04 UTC+1, TimW wrote:

This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right
off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.
Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

TW

I've just been cleaning off kitchen grease today. Tried for the first time what I call public toilet cleaner on it - and it's pretty good. It's what's used industrially for toilets, available from janitorial supplies. Does not smell good.

If you're going to scrape it you need to use plastic, else the enamel will get trashed.

If using caustic I'd brush it onto the heated surface. DO wear eye protection.

Steam cleaners are good for some kitchen grease, certainly not all but it's probably an easy way to make some progress.

Whatever you use may need many soakings. Patience is better than wrecking the finish.

NT

For badly burned on food in pans I use an abrasive brush in my drill. It is slightly abrasive, it may scratch the enamel. Very quick and effective with the pan.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Nylon...AOSw5IJWb6q 2

There are also angle grinder versions
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75mm-Nylo...wAAOSwj0RbKnfz

Who does the cooking?!!?