Posted to uk.d-i-y
lopt lopt is offline

Default cleaning the cooker

news
On 06/08/18 00:25, lopt wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 22:52:01 UTC+1, lopt wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 10:19, lopt wrote:

Have you tried conc nitric acid ? That should get it off, but
isn't
that easy to get.

what does that do9 to carbon?

Dissolves it.

No, it doesn't. Even fuming nitric doesn't.

Yes it does with boiling conc nitric.

There are limits to what I'll use as a cleaning chemical. Boiling strong
fuming acids are a good 2 steps beyond that point.

But there isnt anything else except molten potassium nitrate
that will get that carbon off without damaging the enamel.

Possibly oxy acetylene will.

Yeah, but it might not do the enamel much good.

I have had some success with mechanical abrasives and then t-cutting the
enamel back.

Sure, but I try molten potassium nitrate first.

BUT the general consensus is after 20 years get the top re-enamelled for a
couple of grand.

Sure but thats obviously a very expensive approach.

There is a definite market for something like a plumbres mat that fits
round an aga ring to catch all the splatters..

Personally it makes a lot more sense to give up on Agas.