Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning cooker help

Through lack of maintenance on my part hehe our cooker is now smoking a bit
when in use setting the fire alarm off occasionally which is my motivation
for cleaning it.

I rubbed down the wire rack and tray with a wire brush come up and treat as
there was baked on crap on both.

But its still smoking obviously inside where stuff has gone splat. I tried
conventional scrubbing but made no progress as it was beyond baked on.
I guess its time to put chemicals to work ?

In the past I tried mr muscle oven cleaner whilst it tickled the burnt on
stuff it didn't really do much.

I'm not expecting to bring it back to new but would like to get a decent
finish.

The glass is completely covered in baked on stuff, I'm guessing the chance
of seeing through that again are gone lol...

Having never got this involved with the cooker I was wondering if anyone
knows what I can use.

Slap on my wrist for not cleaning it once a month or something.

Advice greatly recevied gents *thumbs up*

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2011 18:47, Joseph wrote:
[...]

Plenty of contractors will do this at a reasonable price. The chemicals
they use don't seem to be available on the open market.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Joseph" wrote in message
[...]

Dirty git! Southerner?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oven-Pride-C...2852977&sr=8-3

We got it for less than 3 quid in a cheap shop.
It works very well indeed. Take care and wear the gloves supplied, this is
nasty stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Advice greatly recevied gents *thumbs up*

Doktor Power (not found everywhere, I get mine from Makro) is absolutely
amazing at removing the sticky polymerised cooking oil from deep fat
fryers and stainless cooker splashbacks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2011 20:15, Newshound wrote:

Advice greatly recevied gents *thumbs up*

Doktor Power (not found everywhere, I get mine from Makro)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-DOCTOR-P...2859223&sr=8-1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2011 20:15, Newshound wrote:

Advice greatly recevied gents *thumbs up*

Doktor Power (not found everywhere, I get mine from Makro)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-DOCTOR-P...2859223&sr=8-1

I wouldn't have thought of looking there!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 02/12/2011 21:45, Newshound wrote:
On 02/12/2011 20:15, Newshound wrote:

Advice greatly recevied gents *thumbs up*

Doktor Power (not found everywhere, I get mine from Makro)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-DOCTOR-P...2859223&sr=8-1

I wouldn't have thought of looking there!

For the glass door, take it off and dismantle it as many are double
skin. Its the only way to access the bits in the middle. Most doors just
lift off, may have a small lever or something to hold in place.
Get all the bits over to the sink and use brillo pads.
I just done one it took about hour and didnt scratch the glass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 2, 6:47*pm, "Joseph" wrote:
[...]

There's only one checmical to use, caustic soda. Decent oven cleaner
products have it in at 10x the price. The easy way is to mix caustic
with water, brush it over the whole oven interior, place a shallow
tray of water in the bottom, and switch the oven on.

To clean the glass, give it a soak in boiling alkaline water irst, the
crud will then be very soft for a number of minutes, and can be got
off with acopper scourere. Don't use a steel scourer, sometimes it
scratches the glass and damages it.

Do bear in mind that caustic soda is caustic, it will burn you if it
can.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I cleaned my glass with a paste of soda crystals, washing powder and
water. Coated the glass, left it overnight, then scraped the grease off
with a Stanley knife blade. Perfect.
The inside I had to attack several times with concentrated solution of
soda crystals in boiling water. Warm oven up and leave the solution on
for a few hours. If you really want to be entertained, you can switch
the oven on and the melted fat bubbles up into big crisps which you can
just scrape off with a plastic scraper!
Left it like new.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"Joseph" wrote in message
[...]

lol, bless. No. am a northern monkey.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oven-Pride-C...2852977&sr=8-3

We got it for less than 3 quid in a cheap shop.
It works very well indeed. Take care and wear the gloves supplied, this is
nasty stuff.

I'll give it a go and maybe the caustic soda idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

....snip...

I clean the glass as follows...

1. Go to B&Q or similar and find one of those "paint scrapers" which takes
Stanley blades and uses the full width of the blade. Make sure you have a
couple of spare blades by the sound of the state of your cooker!

2. Scrape off the burnt on crap. Almost all of it should come off with
careful work, replacing the blade if it dulls. Remember to do both sides of
the glass

3. Finish off by cleaning the last few bits using Brillo pads.

You should be able to get the glass back to almost as new - especially if
you unscrew the know and possibly even hinges to make it simpler to get at
the bits which they obscure.

Finally, if you have a reasonably modern oven, it's probably self cleaning
on the interior. Do NOT put on caustic, instead open some windows, whack
the temp up to 250degC and let the heat and self-cleaning coating do the
rest. Worth doing this regularly to keep the crap down - even with tin foil
etc. there's always some splashing.

Paul DS.