Chi

Default Electrics - Replace full electric cooker with a duel fuel cooker

Hello all,

I've just bought a duel fuel (double oven) cooker. Gas Hob and
electric ovens and I need some advice on connection. I am a competent
DIYer but have not done any electric work before (so the terms I use
may not be totally accurate).

At the moment we have a full electric cooker. Its on its own circuit
to the consumer box with a 30AMP fuse. The cable goes from the
consumer unit to a control unit. A 2nd length of cable then runs from
the control unit to a cooker connector unit and then to the cooker.

The new cooker already has a flex connected and comes with a 3 ping
plug with a 3AMP fuse (I would have thought it would be a higher
ampage but the plate confirms this). Below is the technical specs:

-----------
Top Cavity:
Single circuit grill Variable 1.8kW
Conventional electric oven 1.3kW

Main Cacity:
Fanned Electric oven 1.7kW

Electrical connection - fuse size Cooker box - 30 amp fuse
------------

I'm planning to do the following and would like to know whether this
is OK.

Detach the 3 pin plug from the booker flex and connect directly to the
oven connector and then replace the control unit with 2 fused
connection units (one for the oven and the other for the extractor
fan).

I have some concerns:
1. Its the flex used for the current circuit suitable.
2. I'm assuming the flex size of the cooker is smaller. Would my idea
of wiring the cooker flex to the connector be OK?

Any other concerns I missed?

Thanks in advance
Christian McArdle

The new cooker already has a flex connected and comes with a 3
ping plug with a 3AMP fuse (I would have thought it would be a
higher ampage but the plate confirms this).

I'm guessing a bit here.

However, 3A is far too small for the ovens. My guess is that it powers only
the gas hob ignitor and far some reason isn't internally connected to the
ovens. You may find some terminal blocks on the cooker somewhere designed to
take the high current cable for the ovens. Can you find such a terminal
block?

Christian.

Chi

It has just occured to me that the 3AMP plug is likely to be for the
Gas hob spark generator. I will check whether there is a seperate
terminals on the cooker when I get home.
Chi

I'm totally confused now.

I've taken off the metal box at the back of the oven and the only
terminal block has the flex connected to it. As mentioned above, the
flex has a plug with a 3amp fuse. Totally crazy! Any idea?
Sparks

"Chi" wrote in message
om...
I'm totally confused now.

I've taken off the metal box at the back of the oven and the only
terminal block has the flex connected to it. As mentioned above, the
flex has a plug with a 3amp fuse. Totally crazy! Any idea?

How thick are the wires the other side of the terminal block? - the same as
the ones going to the plug, or much thicker?

Are you SURE it is an electric oven!!

What do the instructions say?

Sparks...

"Sparks" wrote in message ...
"Chi" wrote in message
om...
I'm totally confused now.

I've taken off the metal box at the back of the oven and the only
terminal block has the flex connected to it. As mentioned above, the
flex has a plug with a 3amp fuse. Totally crazy! Any idea?

How thick are the wires the other side of the terminal block? - the same as
the ones going to the plug, or much thicker?

Are you SURE it is an electric oven!!

What do the instructions say?

Sparks...

In my last property the oven was similar to this, the oven was simply
wired into a socket and the socket in turn connected to a cooker
switch. Never had any problem although I appreciate it wasn't very
tidy to look at.
Christian McArdle

In my last property the oven was similar to this, the oven was simply
wired into a socket and the socket in turn connected to a cooker
switch.

I bet it didn't have a 3A fuse, though.

Christian.

Chi

Finally got to the bottom of this. They sent me the WRONG model. The
model is a full gas range but the manual that came with with it was
for the dual fuel model. I had a go at them over the phone today and
they will be replacing it and compensating for the hassle.

Thanks for those who replied and sorry for the confusion
Bill Gardener

"Chi" wrote in message
om...
Finally got to the bottom of this. They sent me the WRONG model. The
model is a full gas range but the manual that came with with it was
for the dual fuel model. I had a go at them over the phone today and
they will be replacing it and compensating for the hassle.

Thanks for those who replied and sorry for the confusion

I'd keep the all gas model. Cooking with electric is crap. Just ask any
professional chef.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Bill Gardener wrote:
I'd keep the all gas model. Cooking with electric is crap. Just ask any
professional chef.

Professional chefs don't have to clean the oven.

--
*Therapy is expensive, poppin' bubble wrap is cheap! You choose.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Christian McArdle

Electric *hobs* are crap. Electric ovens are fine.

Yeah, but electric grills are crap. Take ages to heat up and smoke like
buggery, unless you are a veggie.

I prefer gas ovens, too for the rapid heat, although I don't have a problem
with electric fan types, really.

Christian.