Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cleaning the cooker

On 06/08/18 00:25, lopt wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 August 2018 22:52:01 UTC+1, loptÂ* wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/08/2018 10:19, lopt wrote:

Have you tried conc nitric acid ?Â* That should get it off, but
isn't
that easy to get.

what does that do9 to carbon?

Dissolves it.

No, it doesn't. Even fuming nitric doesn't.

Yes it does with boiling conc nitric.

There are limits to what I'll use as a cleaning chemical. Boiling
strong fuming acids are a good 2 steps beyond that point.

But there isnt anything else except molten potassium nitrate
that will get that carbon off without damaging the enamel.

Possibly oxy acetylene will.

I have had some success with mechanical abrasives and then t-cutting the
enamel back.

BUT the general consensus is after 20 years get the top re-enamelled for
a couple of grand.

There is a definite market for something like a plumbres mat that fits
round an aga ring to catch all the splatters..

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!