Posted to uk.d-i-y
misterroy misterroy is offline

Default cleaning the cooker

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 11:53:57 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Saturday, 4 August 2018 15:41:04 UTC+1, TimW wrote:

This is an Aga. Years of fat and oil has been oxidised all over the
enamel and chrome parts on the top to make a solid coating. In cooler
places it's soft, very hard where it has been hotter and burned right
off only on the very hot places like the hot plates themselves. How do I
clean it off?

So far tried various 'dissolves grease' cleaning products and green
scourers. Doesn't really work. A blunt table knife seems to remove the
stuff without scratching the enamel too badly but it's very laborious.
Is there a chemical solution? Even to soften it up?

TW

I've just been cleaning off kitchen grease today. Tried for the first time what I call public toilet cleaner on it - and it's pretty good. It's what's used industrially for toilets, available from janitorial supplies. Does not smell good.

If you're going to scrape it you need to use plastic, else the enamel will get trashed.

If using caustic I'd brush it onto the heated surface. DO wear eye protection.

Steam cleaners are good for some kitchen grease, certainly not all but it's probably an easy way to make some progress.

Whatever you use may need many soakings. Patience is better than wrecking the finish.

NT

For badly burned on food in pans I use an abrasive brush in my drill. It is slightly abrasive, it may scratch the enamel. Very quick and effective with the pan.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Nylon...AOSw5IJWb6q 2

There are also angle grinder versions
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/75mm-Nylo...wAAOSwj0RbKnfz