Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dead padlock?

Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/18 19:39, JoeJoe wrote:
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

You might want to consider a group joke angle grinder/group joke
rather than bolt cutters which may take exception to a hardened padlock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2018 19:39, JoeJoe wrote:
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

Get someone to hold something heavy under it then tap it many times with
a small hammer, changing the orientation every so often.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/18 19:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 29/07/2018 19:39, JoeJoe wrote:
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I
tried the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

Get someone to hold something heavy under it then tap it many times with
a small hammer, changing the orientation every so often.

Bill

And use silcone spopray or graphite grease - not WD40
--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

You should have used powdered graphite, not WD40.

Works a treat on the padlock I lock the trailer up with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 29/07/18 19:47, Bill Wright wrote:
On 29/07/2018 19:39, JoeJoe wrote:
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

Get someone to hold something heavy under it then tap it many times with
a small hammer, changing the orientation every so often.

Bill

And use silcone spopray or graphite grease - not WD40

Not graphite grease, powdered graphite.
Any grease ends up with dirt in the lock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, ganga wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

You should have used powdered graphite, not WD40.

Works a treat on the padlock I lock the trailer up with.

for an outdoor lock oil is better, it stops the innards rusting up.

Angle grind it off. If you use bolt cutters, cut the brass not the hardened steel.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, ganga wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

You should have used powdered graphite, not WD40.

Works a treat on the padlock I lock the trailer up with.

for an outdoor lock oil is better,

Nope, that is an outdoor lock.

it stops the innards rusting up.

They dont rust with a decent padlock and oil collects dirt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ganga" wrote in message ...

You should have used powdered graphite, not WD40.

Works a treat on the padlock I lock the trailer up with.

Is that the one you use for frying the kangaroo burgers
in the car park of the Mooney Ponds Social Club, which
you sell at the end of the Monthly Hop ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Proper oil, not wd 40. Oh and push pull the loop bit a bit and give it a
major clout. However if it does unlock, I'd most certainly replace it.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 17:02:42 +1000, FMurtz wrote:

JoeJoe wrote:
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

Graphite.

Yup. Powdered graphite on the key, plunge it in and out (oo-er!)

And penetrating oil on the shackle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 30/07/2018 09:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
Proper oil, not wd 40. Oh and push pull the loop bit a bit and give it a
major clout. However if it does unlock, I'd most certainly replace it.
Brian

My understanding is that most of the internals are made of corrosion
free or brass parts (apart from the springs). This being the case I
doubt if it has seized, more likely to have a worn pin or key which
would prevent the key from turning.
If the key insert ok then the springs will be free and not seized.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

Graphite.

Yup. Powdered graphite on the key, plunge it in and out (oo-er!)

And penetrating oil on the shackle.

If the problem is that the lock's full of muck I think it might need
something to shift that before graphite powder. And a lot of muck has
been blowing around in the dry weather. (WD40 does have the advantage
that it comes with the little tube which can be used to blast it into
the lock. Then wash that out and dry before the graphite.)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Proper oil, not wd 40.

Nope that attracts dirt.

Oh and push pull the loop bit
a bit and give it a major clout.

Use powdered graphite

However if it does unlock, I'd most certainly replace it.

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

Graphite.

Yup. Powdered graphite on the key, plunge it in and out (oo-er!)

Better to get it in a plastic bottle with a nozzle
and squirt that into the lock. Costs peanuts.

And penetrating oil on the shackle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
On 30/07/2018 09:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
Proper oil, not wd 40. Oh and push pull the loop bit a bit and give it a
major clout. However if it does unlock, I'd most certainly replace it.
Brian

My understanding is that most of the internals are made of corrosion free
or brass parts (apart from the springs).

Yes.

This being the case I doubt if it has seized, more likely to have a worn
pin or key which would prevent the key from turning.

Much more likely that the pins arent moving as freely
as they used to due to dirt in the lock and so they dont
slide down to the key properly, and so dont line up at
the edge of the cylinder anymore, so the lock wont unlock.

Powdered graphite fixes that and it then works fine again.

If the key insert ok then the springs will be free and not seized.

But the; pins wont necessarily slide freely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?
Graphite.

Yup. Powdered graphite on the key, plunge it in and out (oo-er!)

And penetrating oil on the shackle.

If the problem is that the lock's full of muck I think it might need
something to shift that before graphite powder.

I've never found that, but then I've never
been silly enough to oil or grease a lock.

And a lot of muck has been blowing around in the dry weather.

But not much of that gets into locks.

(WD40 does have the advantage that it comes with the little tube which can
be used to blast it into the lock. Then wash that out and dry before the
graphite.)

Never found that to be necessary. The graphite works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 21:00:45 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

Brian Gaff wrote

Proper oil, not wd 40.

Nope that attracts dirt.

Oh and push pull the loop bit
a bit and give it a major clout.

Use powdered graphite

Usage has shown that all three work, Ozzietard!

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 21:20:24 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

Proper oil, not wd 40. Oh and push pull the loop bit a bit and give it a
major clout. However if it does unlock, I'd most certainly replace it.
Brian

My understanding is that most of the internals are made of corrosion free
or brass parts (apart from the springs).

Yes.

LOL What an IDIOT! LOL

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"The man is a conspicuous and unashamed ignoramus."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

[...]

I've just oiled some new outdoor locks as they were beginning to show rust. Whether you use graphite or oil things can go wrong, with iron locks I've had them last better with oil. I have just lost one that jammed shut, but unoiled they tend to last less well IMLE.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?
Graphite.

Yup. Powdered graphite on the key, plunge it in and out (oo-er!)

And penetrating oil on the shackle.

If the problem is that the lock's full of muck I think it might need
something to shift that before graphite powder. And a lot of muck has
been blowing around in the dry weather.Â*Â* (WD40 does have the advantage
that it comes with the little tube which can be used to blast it into
the lock.Â* Then wash that out and dry before the graphite.)

There is no sign of any dirt anywhere

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2018 23:59, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, gangaÂ* wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Try some 'Plus Gas' - a releasing oil, in the key hole and around the
shackle. Wiggle the shackle. Leave. Repeat. Tap down on shackle. Try key.

Whether lock is 'safe' to reuse is up to you, but the above tends to get
seized ones open.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, ganga wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Thats not a good idea, it then attracts dirt which make the lock worse.
Powdered graphite works much better in the lock.

and around the shackle. Wiggle the shackle. Leave. Repeat. Tap down on
shackle. Try key.

Whether lock is 'safe' to reuse is up to you, but the above tends to get
seized ones open.

No real risk with a padlock as long as it can be
cut off if it doesnt respond to the usual fixes.

But sometimes the whole system is designed so
that the padlock can't actually be cut off, with
the padlock in a decent hardened steel tube so
that only where the key goes is accessible. So you
have to destroy the entire thing in the worst case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 30/07/2018 12:20, Rod Speed wrote:
But the; pins wont necessarily slide freely.

If the key slides in then the pins will have been lined up to the shear
line. Taking in to account the spare keys dont operate the the lock then
I would guess one or more of the pins have been worn or damaged.
Other possibility is the barrel has seized

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 16:16:39 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

Try some 'Plus Gas' - a releasing oil, in the key hole

That¢s not a good idea, it then attracts dirt which make the lock worse.
Powdered graphite works much better in the lock.

Any oil that isn't resinous and doesn't get rancid after a while works, you
braindead senile Ozzitard!

--
Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"The man is a conspicuous and unashamed ignoramus."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote
Rod Speed wrote

But the; pins wont necessarily slide freely.

If the key slides in then the pins will have been lined up to the shear
line.

Not if the pins done slide freely enough so that the pin comes down
to the key. That why powdered graphite works, it ensures that happens.

Taking in to account the spare keys dont operate the the lock then I would
guess one or more of the pins have been worn or damaged.

Much more likely that the pin isnt moving freely down to the key.

I just had my front door key which has been used multiple times
a day for more than 50 years now, end up very hard to get the key
to open the door. Quirt of powdered graphite fixed that completely
and now the key turns so freely that you wonder if its broken.

Other possibility is the barrel has seized

Never seen that happen, even with the padlock used to chain the
trailer to the house which has a very hard life indeed. Corse its a
decent quality brass heavy duty padlock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damaged Ozzie Brain?

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 19:30:30 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

FLUSH the rest of the Ozzie cretin's usual senile ****

Mr Know-it-all knows it all better, AGAIN! ****ing HILARIOUS!

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2018 07:16, Rod Speed wrote:

news

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, gangaÂ* wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

For a lock that the OP intends to reuse I might agree with you. In this
case it is probably rust or other oxide that is preventing the lock from
opening.

Some form of penetrating oil is going to be far more effective at
freeing up the lock than graphite.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 31/07/2018 07:16, Rod Speed wrote:

news

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, ganga wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I found it was actually the pins not moving freely in the padlock I use
to lock the trailer to the house to stop it being stolen and with the
front door patio door lock. Powdered graphite worked a treat with both.

Some form of penetrating oil is going to be far more effective at freeing
up the lock than graphite.

Only if the problem is that the hasp isnt free to move in the padlock.

Easy to tell which is the problem too. If the problem is with the pins
in the lock, the key wont go into the lock freely and it wont be possible
to turn the key to unlock the lock. If the problem is with the hasp, the
key will work as usual but the hasp wont spring out of the padlock
when the key is turned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2018 20:27, Rod Speed wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message

snip

Some form of penetrating oil is going to be far more effective at
freeing up the lock than graphite.

Only if the problem is that the hasp isnt free to move in the padlock.

The most likely issue is the pins are stuck. I presume 'hasp' is an
aussie term for a barrel?

Easy to tell which is the problem too. If the problem is with the pins
in the lock, the key wont go into the lock freely and it wont be possible
to turn the key to unlock the lock. If the problem is with the hasp, the
key will work as usual but the hasp wont spring out of the padlock
when the key is turned.

Not really, the issue is by putting the key in the lock the pins will
have been forced into their extreme position and are now stuck there.

Hence why I would use penetrating oil and tap the lock hoping the pins
might then move and rest on the key.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 05:27:10 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

That¢s not a good idea, it then attracts dirt which make the lock worse.
Powdered graphite works much better in the lock.

For a lock that the OP intends to reuse I might agree with you. In this
case it is probably rust or other oxide that is preventing the lock from
opening.

I found it was actually the pins not moving freely in the padlock I use

Nobody was talking about your padlock, senile Ozzie cretin!

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Fredxx wrote

Some form of penetrating oil is going to be far more effective at
freeing up the lock than graphite.

Only if the problem is that the hasp isnt free to move in the padlock.

The most likely issue is the pins are stuck.

Yes, and powdered graphite works much better in that
situation than penetrating oil, because the oil will end
up with dirt in it later. Powdered graphite doesnt.

I presume 'hasp' is an aussie term for a barrel?

No, the big metal U thing that comes out of the top of the padlock.

There can be a problem with that not moving freely out of the
body of the padlock when the key is used to unlock the padlock.

Easy to tell which is the problem too. If the problem is with the pins in
the lock, the key wont go into the lock freely and it wont be possible to
turn the key to unlock the lock. If the problem is with the hasp, the key
will work as usual but the hasp wont spring out of the padlock when the
key is turned.

Not really,

Yes, really.

the issue is by putting the key in the lock the pins will have been forced
into their extreme position and are now stuck there.

Thats just one cause of the padlock not unlocking. The other is
where the key goes in fine, and the key can be turned fine, because
the pins are free to come back to the key and the break in the pins
lines up so the barrel can be turned by the key, but the hasp isnt
free to pop out of the body of the padlock so the padlock can
be removed from what it was locking.

Hence why I would use penetrating oil and tap the lock hoping the pins
might then move and rest on the key.

Much better to take the key out, squirt the powdered
graphite into where the key goes, insert and pull out
the key a few times so the powdered graphite gets
down the side of the pins so they can move freely again.

Because then there is no penetrating oil to end up with
dirt in it to see the pins stick again later after the oil has
ended up with dirt in it, or has gone gooey over time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2018 22:02, Rod Speed wrote:
Fredxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Fredxx wrote

Some form of penetrating oil is going to be far more effective at
freeing up the lock than graphite.

Only if the problem is that the hasp isnt free to move in the padlock.

The most likely issue is the pins are stuck.

Yes, and powdered graphite works much better in that
situation than penetrating oil, because the oil will end
up with dirt in it later. Powdered graphite doesnt.

Only an idiot would re-use the lock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 07:02:49 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

FLUSH most of the self-opinionated senile drivel unread

Mr Know-it-all knows it all, AGAIN! ****ing HILARIOUS! LOL

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 31/07/2018 22:02, Rod Speed wrote:
Fredxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Fredxx wrote

Some form of penetrating oil is going to be far more effective at
freeing up the lock than graphite.

Only if the problem is that the hasp isnt free to move in the padlock.

The most likely issue is the pins are stuck.

Yes, and powdered graphite works much better in that
situation than penetrating oil, because the oil will end
up with dirt in it later. Powdered graphite doesnt.

Only an idiot would re-use the lock.

No idiot about it when the powdered graphite has worked fine
for years with my trailer padlock. Only a terminal ****wit would
get a new padlock if using powdered graphite makes the lock
work fine and its so easy to cut off the padlock in the very very
unlikely event that the powdered graphite doesnt work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 07:48:29 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

No idiot about it when the powdered graphite has worked fine
for years with my trailer padlock. Only a terminal ****wit would
get a new padlock if using powdered graphite makes the lock
work fine and its so easy to cut off the padlock in the very very
unlikely event that the powdered graphite doesn¢t work.

LOL What an idiot!

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/07/2018 07:16, Rod Speed wrote:

news

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, gangaÂ* wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

For a regular lube, I agree. To help with a seized lock, graphite is
useless- it can't get were it needs to.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
On 31/07/2018 07:16, Rod Speed wrote:

news

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, ganga wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

With a totaly siezed lock, possibly. But for a stiff lock, graphite is not
only the immediate answer, but the effects last a long time.

from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 31/07/2018 07:16, Rod Speed wrote:

news

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, ganga wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Nope, worked fine every time a lock has had a problem.

- it can't get were it needs to.

Corse it can. It comes in a little squirter bottle with a long
spout. You squirt it into the slot the key goes in, when the
key isnt in the lock and them move the key in and out
a few times. That gets the graphite down the side of the
pins and allows them to slide freely again.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kasp-K30050...dered+graphite