Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Dead padlock?

On 31/07/2018 20:27, Rod Speed wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message

snip

Some form of penetrating oil is going to be far more effective at
freeing up the lock than graphite.

Only if the problem is that the hasp isnt free to move in the padlock.

The most likely issue is the pins are stuck. I presume 'hasp' is an
aussie term for a barrel?

Easy to tell which is the problem too. If the problem is with the pins
in the lock, the key wont go into the lock freely and it wont be possible
to turn the key to unlock the lock. If the problem is with the hasp, the
key will work as usual but the hasp wont spring out of the padlock
when the key is turned.

Not really, the issue is by putting the key in the lock the pins will
have been forced into their extreme position and are now stuck there.

Hence why I would use penetrating oil and tap the lock hoping the pins
might then move and rest on the key.