Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dead padlock?

On Monday, 30 July 2018 11:06:32 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 30/07/2018 10:27, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 17:02:42 +1000, FMurtz wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of years..

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?
Graphite.

Yup. Powdered graphite on the key, plunge it in and out (oo-er!)

And penetrating oil on the shackle.

If the problem is that the lock's full of muck I think it might need
something to shift that before graphite powder. And a lot of muck has
been blowing around in the dry weather. (WD40 does have the advantage
that it comes with the little tube which can be used to blast it into
the lock. Then wash that out and dry before the graphite.)

I've just oiled some new outdoor locks as they were beginning to show rust. Whether you use graphite or oil things can go wrong, with iron locks I've had them last better with oil. I have just lost one that jammed shut, but unoiled they tend to last less well IMLE.

NT