Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove a padlock?!

I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/4/2007 10:55 AM Toller said the following:
I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

Check with the local police department or fire department. They have
bolt cutters.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Toller" wrote:
I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

OK, I won't suggest a boltcutter then, but that's the fastest, easiest way to
remove it.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

You'll have them soon.

If it is a hardened hasp, it twill take months with a hacksaw. Look for a
cheap bolt cutter for a one time deal, or borrow one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking
the tire pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I
realized the spare tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That
could be embarrassing.
It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer
until it gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I
use a hacksaw? Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

1. A quality padlock will have a number embossed next to the keyway. Take
this number to a locksmith. He'll look up the pin positions in his
sooper-sekret book and make you the key.

2. Some say you can hose the lock down with circuit cooler stuff then
shatter it.

3. While you may not be able to hacksaw the lock, you may very well be able
to saw whatever the lock is attached to.

4. "Laminated steel" is not equal. If the lock is made by a reputable
company, the thing may be impervious to a shot from a 30-06! If the lock is
made by WongLoo Locks, you might be able to blow it off.

5. The keyway is made of brass (usually). You might be able to drill out all
the innards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:55:22 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the
tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the
spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until
it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

cutoff wheel in a diegrinder or dremel tool will cut the hasp pretty
easily.

Good idea; I don't know why I didn't think of it. I just used one to cut up
rebar to make a retaining wall, and they went like butter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

Invest in boltcutters. They are also useful burglary tools.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:

I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

See if this guy makes housecalls G:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 8:50 am, wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:39:41 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Toller" wrote in message
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

You'll have them soon.

If it is a hardened hasp, it twill take months with a hacksaw. Look for a
cheap bolt cutter for a one time deal, or borrow one.

These days you can buy a side grinder at one of the Chinese outlets
like Harbor Fright for $20. Once you see how fast that takes a lock
off you might reconsider locks as a deterrant.

Amen to that! I finally bought a 4" disc grinder (Wally World) at
about $20. Amazing the jobs you use it on.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 10:55 am, "Toller" wrote:
I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

See if you can slide some shim stock down the side of the shackle and
disengage the locking lug.
Or sacrifice a feeler guage to the task.
Otherwise try one of those 6" wire frame hacksaws and cut very close
to the lock body, they never seem fully hard there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

On Oct 4, 10:55 am, "Toller" wrote:
I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.

Don't bother with the lock or the shackle.

Cut the HASP ! ( whatever it is that the lock hung on. )

I'm always surprised that folks buy "titanium padlocks"
then hang them on a soft-iron hasp
that could be cut with a few strokes of a hacksaw.

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

you will still have the nice new tool for other
projects.

Yeah. Like stealing someone else's boat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:55:22 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

Use an Angle Grinder, or buy a Bolt cutter (get a good one, the cheap
ones break) !!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/5/2007 8:14 PM Stormin Mormon (on backup computer) said the
following:
Expect to be asked for ID, registration, insurance, etc.

Probably just proof that one didn't steal the trailer.
Not many thieves go to the PD for help.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

you could also try one of those vibrating lock pick tools, although bolt
cutters might be cheaper and you will probably have a use for the cutters in
the future.
--
don paolino
"beecrofter" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 4, 10:55 am, "Toller" wrote:
I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the

tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the

spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be

embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer

until it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a

hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

See if you can slide some shim stock down the side of the shackle and
disengage the locking lug.
Or sacrifice a feeler guage to the task.
Otherwise try one of those 6" wire frame hacksaws and cut very close
to the lock body, they never seem fully hard there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

Don't cheat and use powertools. Do it the 007 way.

Instructional videos at:

http://www.metacafe.com/tags/open_lock/

Could be an experience that opens doors for you.....

PB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 5:55 pm, wrote:
On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 20:22:15 -0400, willshak
wrote:

Expect to be asked for ID, registration, insurance, etc.

Probably just proof that one didn't steal the trailer.
Not many thieves go to the PD for help.

Stranger things happen. You sure would not want to be the cop who had
to expliian why he cut a lock off a, soon to be stolen, trailer and
sent the thief on his way.

Yep, unbelievably stranger. I worked as dispatcher and jailer for 15
years. Best I recall is the dope dealer that called the cops to
complain that he had been robbed at gunpoint of his stash of wacky
tobaccy. Both ends of that one wound up in jail. (Pullman, Wa in
Whiman Co. early 90s. Can't recall the names though)

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 4, 10:55 am, "Toller" wrote:
I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the

tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the

spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be

embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer

until it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a

hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

See if you can slide some shim stock down the side of the shackle and
disengage the locking lug.
Or sacrifice a feeler guage to the task.
Otherwise try one of those 6" wire frame hacksaws and cut very close
to the lock body, they never seem fully hard there.- Hide quoted text -

Much more likely to have a use for an angle grinder and the angle
grinder will be cheaper. I got mine for about $20 at Wally World.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

These days you can buy a side grinder at one of the Chinese outlets
like Harbor Fright for $20. Once you see how fast that takes a lock
off you might reconsider locks as a deterrant.

We do HOA property assessments. Part of the deal is to get into the pool
areas and pool equipment areas to photograph and assess equipment. A lot of
people do not give us keys or the proper keys. So, I have made myself a set
of picklocks. It is amazing just how easy it is to get through some of
these "security gates". Part of our report is a section on how sufficient
we think their security systems are.

Most of the passage gates can be opened with a credit cards. Deadbolts
require a picklock and any pro would be in within two minutes. Padlocks are
a different matter, as grinders make too much of a fuss. But they are no
match for good bolt cutters.

I have a set of bolt cutters that I bought at a police auction on
confiscated and unclaimed goods. They are American made and are every bit
of 4' long. I have yet to see any round rod they will not cut.

When I was a welding contractor, I cut a lot of locks off for storage
companies. They were a piece of cake except the ones shaped like a hockey
puck. They were tougher, but a die grinder with a very very thin blade did
it for those. Most of them I did with the big bolt cutters, as grinding
caused a lot of sparks and fire hazard. A cutting torch was out of the
question.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you won't use boltcutters ... then use the ultrasonic lock removal tool.
Google for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:55:22 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the
tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the
spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until
it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

cutoff wheel in a diegrinder or dremel tool will cut the hasp pretty
easily.

Took about 2 seconds. Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

On Oct 4, 6:55 am, "Toller" wrote:
I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking the tire
pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I realized the spare
tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That could be embarrassing.

It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer until it
gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I use a hacksaw?
Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

I opened my neighbors master lock with a small pry bar and a big
screwdriver that I just stuck in the shackle, and with one good push
and that thing popped right open. Wasn't hard at all.

Best lubricant for outdoor padlock Daniel Prince Home Repair 62 March 16th 21 09:21 PM
How to remove graffiti? miamicuse Home Repair 3 January 15th 07 04:30 PM
Old tile - To remove or not to remove... rb608 Home Repair 3 July 12th 06 04:06 AM
how to remove....??? Tom Woodman Woodworking 3 February 16th 06 04:52 PM
Frozen padlock Jim Home Repair 10 January 20th 06 09:43 PM