Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default How to remove a padlock?!

Toller wrote:
I bought a boat and trailer last spring. Yesterday I was checking
the tire pressure before taking the boat out for the winter when I
realized the spare tire was padlocked on and I don't have a key. That
could be embarrassing.
It is a laminated steel padlock. Do I beat it with a sledge hammer
until it gives way. saw it with a sawsall and metal blade, or must I
use a hacksaw? Any other suggestions? (don't have boltcutters...)

1. A quality padlock will have a number embossed next to the keyway. Take
this number to a locksmith. He'll look up the pin positions in his
sooper-sekret book and make you the key.

2. Some say you can hose the lock down with circuit cooler stuff then
shatter it.

3. While you may not be able to hacksaw the lock, you may very well be able
to saw whatever the lock is attached to.

4. "Laminated steel" is not equal. If the lock is made by a reputable
company, the thing may be impervious to a shot from a 30-06! If the lock is
made by WongLoo Locks, you might be able to blow it off.

5. The keyway is made of brass (usually). You might be able to drill out all
the innards.