Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Dead padlock?

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 29/07/2018 23:59, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, ganga wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of
years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I
tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

You should have used powdered graphite, not WD40.

Works a treat on the padlock I lock the trailer up with.

for an outdoor lock oil is better,

Nope, that is an outdoor lock.

it stops the innards rusting up.

They dont rust with a decent padlock and oil collects dirt.

Try some 'Plus Gas' - a releasing oil, in the key hole

Thats not a good idea, it then attracts dirt which make the lock worse.
Powdered graphite works much better in the lock.

and around the shackle. Wiggle the shackle. Leave. Repeat. Tap down on
shackle. Try key.

Whether lock is 'safe' to reuse is up to you, but the above tends to get
seized ones open.

No real risk with a padlock as long as it can be
cut off if it doesnt respond to the usual fixes.

But sometimes the whole system is designed so
that the padlock can't actually be cut off, with
the padlock in a decent hardened steel tube so
that only where the key goes is accessible. So you
have to destroy the entire thing in the worst case.