Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dead padlock?

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 18:03:36 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

For a regular lube, I agree. To help with a seized lock, graphite is
useless

Nope, worked fine every time a lock has had a problem.

You didn't look inside before you applied the graphite, driveling senile
idiot, so you didn't know what was the cause!

- it can't get were it needs to.

Corse it can. It comes in a little squirter bottle with a long
spout. You squirt it into the slot the key goes in, when the
key isnt in the lock and them move the key in and out
a few times. That gets the graphite down the side of the
pins and allows them to slide freely again.

So does any quality oil, idiot! It also can dissolve dirt much easier, e.g.
sticky resinous residue, if someone applied a wrong cheap oil before.

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
On 31/07/2018 07:16, Rod Speed wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news On 29/07/2018 23:59, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, ganga wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of
years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I
tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

You should have used powdered graphite, not WD40.

Works a treat on the padlock I lock the trailer up with.

for an outdoor lock oil is better,

Nope, that is an outdoor lock.

it stops the innards rusting up.

They don't rust with a decent padlock and oil collects dirt.

Try some 'Plus Gas' - a releasing oil, in the key hole

That's not a good idea, it then attracts dirt which make the lock
worse.
Powdered graphite works much better in the lock.

For a regular lube, I agree. To help with a seized lock, graphite is
useless- it can't get were it needs to.

With a totaly siezed lock, possibly.

No such animal. Never seen one that you
can't the key in and out of, with difficulty.

And while ever the key wont go in, you can squirt some
powdered graphite in where the key goes and use the
key to get the graphite up where the pins are.

Certainly if some ****wit has put superglue in where the
key goes, its time to cut off the padlock and get a new one.

But for a stiff lock, graphite is not only the immediate
answer, but the effects last a long time.

True.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 19:40:38 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

But for a stiff lock, graphite is not only the immediate
answer, but the effects last a long time.

True.

OR oil, asshole! tsk

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2018 09:03, Rod Speed wrote:

news

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, gangaÂ* wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
[...]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kasp-K30050...dered+graphite

Not so long ago you said graphite worked better than penetrating oil
when the pins were stuck. Now you're saying graphite is any good when
the pins are able to move up and down a few time.

Make your mind up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 01/08/2018 09:03, Rod Speed wrote:

news

"JoeJoe" wrote in message
[...]

Nope, when the pins dont move freely.

Now you're saying graphite is any good when the pins are able to move up
and down a few time.

Thats always the case if the key can be inserted.

The OP never said that the key can't be inserted at all.

Make your mind up.

No need to do anything like that, I havent changed what I have said.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 06:43:03 +1000, cantankerous senile geezer Rot Speed
blabbered, again:

You stink of troll ****! How come, Rot?