Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Dead padlock?

"Fredxx" wrote in message
news
On 01/08/2018 09:03, Rod Speed wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 31/07/2018 07:16, Rod Speed wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news On 29/07/2018 23:59, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, ganga wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of
years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I
tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

You should have used powdered graphite, not WD40.

Works a treat on the padlock I lock the trailer up with.

for an outdoor lock oil is better,

Nope, that is an outdoor lock.

it stops the innards rusting up.

They dont rust with a decent padlock and oil collects dirt.

Try some 'Plus Gas' - a releasing oil, in the key hole

Thats not a good idea, it then attracts dirt which make the lock
worse.
Powdered graphite works much better in the lock.

For a regular lube, I agree. To help with a seized lock, graphite is
useless

Nope, worked fine every time a lock has had a problem.

- it can't get were it needs to.

Corse it can. It comes in a little squirter bottle with a long
spout. You squirt it into the slot the key goes in, when the
key isnt in the lock and them move the key in and out
a few times. That gets the graphite down the side of the
pins and allows them to slide freely again.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kasp-K30050...dered+graphite

Not so long ago you said graphite worked better than penetrating oil when
the pins were stuck.

Nope, when the pins dont move freely.

Now you're saying graphite is any good when the pins are able to move up
and down a few time.

Thats always the case if the key can be inserted.

The OP never said that the key can't be inserted at all.

Make your mind up.

No need to do anything like that, I havent changed what I have said.