Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Dead padlock?

On 31/07/2018 07:16, Rod Speed wrote:

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 29/07/2018 23:59, Rod Speed wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, 29 July 2018 22:22:18 UTC+1, gangaÂ* wrote:
"JoeJoe" wrote in message
o.uk...
Garden shed padlock is refusing to badge.

It is (or at least looks like) one of these:
https://www.masterlock.eu/home-personal/product/170EURD

Had it for 10+ years, giving it a quirt of WD40 every couple of
years.

In the last couple of months it was a bit tricky to open - had to
pull/push key in/out slightly until it would turn.

Today it would not turn at all - key goes in, and nothing more. I
tried
the other two keys we have, but still nothing.

Not too bothered about replacing it, but Before I get hold of the
neighbour's bolt cutters, is there anything else I can try?

You should have used powdered graphite, not WD40.

Works a treat on the padlock I lock the trailer up with.

for an outdoor lock oil is better,

Nope, that is an outdoor lock.

it stops the innards rusting up.

They dont rust with a decent padlock and oil collects dirt.

Try some 'Plus Gas' - a releasing oil, in the key hole

Thats not a good idea, it then attracts dirt which make the lock worse.
Powdered graphite works much better in the lock.

For a regular lube, I agree. To help with a seized lock, graphite is
useless- it can't get were it needs to.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud