Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Countax C600h lawn tractor - anybody here knowledgeable?

I've recently "inherited" this ride-on mower - it worked well until
yesterday but now the cutter drive belt tension is suddenly far too
slack, despite the tension handle being in the right place. The tension
adjusting nuts are on the end of a rod that's anchored on a metal
assembly (called a "DECK TENSION CRADLE WELDED ASSY") underneath the
front bumper - is this assembly supposed to pivot?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not really, I suppose the belt has not worn out.
Some of the drive systems on those tyings are lets just say crude, ie a v
belt slipping and tensioned to start to drive the darned thing. Saw on in
Geurnsey once and thought, considering the cost what a crude way of doing
things, but the was a loooooong time ago now.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message ...
I've recently "inherited" this ride-on mower - it worked well until
yesterday but now the cutter drive belt tension is suddenly far too slack,
despite the tension handle being in the right place. The tension adjusting
nuts are on the end of a rod that's anchored on a metal assembly (called a
"DECK TENSION CRADLE WELDED ASSY") underneath the front bumper - is this
assembly supposed to pivot?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Jul 2017 00:11:18 +0100, nomail wrote:

I've recently "inherited" this ride-on mower - it worked well until
yesterday but now the cutter drive belt tension is suddenly far too
slack, despite the tension handle being in the right place. The tension
adjusting nuts are on the end of a rod that's anchored on a metal
assembly (called a "DECK TENSION CRADLE WELDED ASSY") underneath the
front bumper - is this assembly supposed to pivot?

'Suddenly far too slack' implies that the belt has come off one of the
pulleys. Some of the pulleys on a Countax can be sods to reach as the
belt runs in a most odd layout.

I'd try following the belt around very carefully and double checking it
is in the vee of *all* the pulleys before looking further.

I find with my Honda ride-on that it is always the most inaccessible
pulley that has shed the belt...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-07-07, Mark Allread wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jul 2017 00:11:18 +0100, nomail wrote:

I've recently "inherited" this ride-on mower - it worked well until
yesterday but now the cutter drive belt tension is suddenly far too
slack, despite the tension handle being in the right place. The
tension adjusting nuts are on the end of a rod that's anchored on a
metal assembly (called a "DECK TENSION CRADLE WELDED ASSY") underneath
the front bumper - is this assembly supposed to pivot?

'Suddenly far too slack' implies that the belt has come off one of the
pulleys.

Or that a tensioner has broken, or a spring snapped or broken off.

Definite possibilities - and the easiest way to check is to follow the
belt around.

Judging by the two ride-on mowers I own, they were not designed very
well. (I learned to weld just so I could repair the steering on one of
them.)

Yes, I've done some spot welding on one of mine in the past. An old,
Honda engined, Westwood (so under the Honda brandname). It got to the
point where I needed to spend some time and effort on it so put it in the
shed as a retirement project. Trouble is, now I am retire, I don't have
the time to spend on it.

Its 30+ years old now so could be close to being enterable in some
vintage show somewhere - once I've got it back to proper order.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2017 16:59, Handsome Jack wrote:
posted
I've recently "inherited" this ride-on mower - it worked well until
yesterday but now the cutter drive belt tension is suddenly far too
slack, despite the tension handle being in the right place. The
tension adjusting nuts are on the end of a rod that's anchored on a
metal assembly (called a "DECK TENSION CRADLE WELDED ASSY") underneath
the front bumper - is this assembly supposed to pivot?

Yes, it pivots on two bolts one on either side. In fact if you release
the cutter deck tensioning handle you should be able to see the cradle
move slightly back and forward. Setting the tensioning handle (by
pushing it towards the back of the tractor) should tension the cutter
drive belt by pulling the cutting deck toward the back of the machine too.

Are you sure the tensioning handle hasn't slipped to the disengaged
position?

Thanks. I spent some time on it yesterday and found nothing mechanically
wrong, but the slack was more than 75mm and the adjuster lock nut was
seized. I suspect that whoever worked on it before gave up and that it
had been flapping around and only just working. I removed enough bits to
be able to persuade the adjuster to move and all is now well.

Another question. With the cutting height set to 5 the deck wheels are
on the ground so I don't see how it's possible to cut any shorter - is
there any adjustment on the cutter height setting?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-07-07, Mark Allread wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jul 2017 00:11:18 +0100, nomail wrote:

I've recently "inherited" this ride-on mower - it worked well until
yesterday but now the cutter drive belt tension is suddenly far too
slack, despite the tension handle being in the right place. The tension
adjusting nuts are on the end of a rod that's anchored on a metal
assembly (called a "DECK TENSION CRADLE WELDED ASSY") underneath the
front bumper - is this assembly supposed to pivot?

'Suddenly far too slack' implies that the belt has come off one of the
pulleys.

Or that a tensioner has broken, or a spring snapped or broken off. Judging
by the two ride-on mowers I own, they were not designed very well. (I
learned to weld just so I could repair the steering on one of them.)

It's a simple system, with only 2 pulleys. Now sorted - see below.