Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Local Councils to be told to take waste fee-free

On 10/04/2017 11:32, tim... wrote:

I honestly don't think that a 10 (or even 20)p levy on a 5 pound (plus)
takeaway is going to make the slightest difference

tim

I think it will..
people will think "I paid for the council to collect this rubbish" and
then just chuck it in the street.
Never underestimate the way some people think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"dennis@home" wrote in message
b.com...
On 10/04/2017 11:32, tim... wrote:

I honestly don't think that a 10 (or even 20)p levy on a 5 pound (plus)
takeaway is going to make the slightest difference

I think it will..
people will think "I paid for the council to collect this rubbish" and
then just chuck it in the street.
Never underestimate the way some people think.

If you want to make people recycle their rubbish, then collect that rubbish
as recycling. Given that the polystyrene foam of a takeaway tray *can't* be
recycled (or at least, no councils that I know of will collect it) you are
penalising people for throwing away something that they have no option but
to throw away (apart from hoarding it!) because there is no alternative.

We recycle everything that we can (cans, bottles, paper/card) but we still
find that some weeks our bin is full to the brim with things that we can't
recycle, and we have to keep the last couple of days' rubbish another
fortnight until the next collection. "Recycle more" is an excellent
sentiment, but "produce less waste" is unrealistic if the waste can't be
disposed of any other way (eg as recycling).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
And there's the rub. Something must be done - but no one wants to pay for
it.

Making tips free doesn't stop fly tipping.
The tips are free around here and people still fly tip.

Are they free for builder's waste, etc, too, though?

Some people are just too idle to take it to a tip or they choose to go
when its shut and dump it elsewhere.

Very true. The same as chucking an empty crisp bag rather than taking it
home or finding a waste basket.

--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 April 2017 14:47:47 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 10/04/2017 11:32, tim... wrote:

I honestly don't think that a 10 (or even 20)p levy on a 5 pound (plus)
takeaway is going to make the slightest difference

tim

I think it will..

I doubt it especailly when they consider they have already paid 5p for it then that's a sign that someone is employed to collect it.

people will think "I paid for the council to collect this rubbish" and
then just chuck it in the street.
Never underestimate the way some people think.

At first I was under the impression that such a charge would stop people but those that are littering won;t be paying so as you imply it'll make F all differnce to those that currently throw litter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
And there's the rub. Something must be done - but no one wants to pay
for
it.

Making tips free doesn't stop fly tipping.
The tips are free around here and people still fly tip.

Are they free for builder's waste, etc, too, though?

Some people are just too idle to take it to a tip or they choose to go
when its shut and dump it elsewhere.

The problem round here is that the recycling centres are sometimes shut when
they are open :-) They close one day a week, which ought to be the day when
they schedule the trucks to come in and collect the full skips and replace
them with empty ones. But no, they choose to close the tip "temporarily"
whenever one of the skips needs to be collected. I don't go very often
(maybe once a fortnight with garden waste that our council now charges to
collect, and will only collect a single wheely binful a fortnight) but quite
frequently I get there and find the gates closed and a skip lorry doing a
changeover. It happened today, and there was a whole queue of cars parked on
the pavement round about. It so happened that I had some shopping to do so I
didn't wait and came back later - and I only just managed to drop off my
bins of garden waste when I saw another lorry approaching so I bet they were
going to close it again.

I can imagine less patient people saying "oh sod it - I'll dump it in a
ditch". Likewise for rubble which they now charge by the sackful. Apparently
(although I can't find any reference to this now) the council expects every
person who has rubble to dispose of (eg stones dug out of garden, smashed
garden ornaments etc - not even building waste) to make their own
arrangements to find "someone who wants the rubble". Far better that the
council collects it and then does a bulk deal to give/sell it to whoever
wants it, rather than contacting local farmers etc to say "I've got a couple
of sacks of rubble - is it any one to you". The difficulty is when there is
only a small amount to dispose of on any one occasion - if you produce a
large amount in one go (eg during building work) is is econonomcal to hire a
skip.

A few years ago I dug part of the garden and dug up a huge pile of flat
sandstone pieces (part of the natural strata in the area), and that was just
from going about two feet deep - deep enough to stop plant roots from being
stopped from growing. We kept the larger pieces for crazy paving and I took
the rest to the tip in small doses when it was free but you were restricted
to two bags per month. Now there's no limit but you car charged by the bag
so we've had to keep whatever we've not managed to take to the tip. If we
ever have any building work done for which we need a skip, it will go in
there - but I don't think it's right that there's no longer a free legal way
to dispose of rubble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

wrote in message
On Sunday, 9 April 2017 18:15:30 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 17:36:18 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

Businesses already minimise waste, with the odd exception.

Nonsense

they use package for "marketing"

If the marketing value is greater than the cost of the packaging they
will use it, they don't care about the extra costs of disposal because
it doesn't fall on them

You only have to go to Germany to see this. There, the manufactures do
have to pay for the disposal costs of their marketing material, and
packaging really is pared to the bone.

They're not looking to throw money away.

they not - they see an added value in it.

There are reasons for the packaging that's used.

because it provides a widow for marketing

Taxing them means that tax is passed to the customer, ie all it would
be is one more way for government to scam money out of us all.

Didn't work that way in Germany - the unnecessary packaging disappeared
at no costs to the consumer

tim

Pity it isn't true for Lidl and Aldi!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2017 00:40, Davey wrote:

Another problem is where to dispose of used engine oil and coolant.

When we last popped over to France we stopped at a park in Cherbourg to
let the dog have a break after the ferry crossing. In the car park were
the usual recycling bins, but also a tank for collecting old engine oil.

/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZjcx8-Q2jpZJoH-j3WgI-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

- the thing with the yellow roof.

Maybe they are common in urban France.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 18:11:08 +0100, LSR wrote:

On 09/04/2017 00:40, Davey wrote:

Another problem is where to dispose of used engine oil and coolant.

When we last popped over to France we stopped at a park in Cherbourg to
let the dog have a break after the ferry crossing. In the car park were
the usual recycling bins, but also a tank for collecting old engine oil.

/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZjcx8-Q2jpZJoH-j3WgI-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

- the thing with the yellow roof.

Maybe they are common in urban France.

Why does this not surprise me? The French have a stereotype reputation
for eating cheese and taking long weekends but in fact they are way
ahead of us economically, educationally, environmentally and in so
many other ways, all of which do not necessarily begin with the letter
'e'. I heard "In Business" last night on Radio 4
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ky3xp
and was amazed.

Did you know, for instance that nearly all France's main-line trains
run on high-speed track?[1] Or that the only high speed track in the
UK connects London[2]to....

....France.

Nick
[1][2]If that's not correct, blame In Business or my hearing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2017 17:25, Capitol wrote:

Very little grocery packaging can be recycled. It's another stupid
green tax.

Plastic bags, paper wrapping, plastic trays either recycle or compost.
Foil trays go in the dish washer to be reused for tray bakes, etc.
Glass and tins recycle.
There isn't much you can't recycle.
Around here it all goes in one bin and is sorted at a recycling plant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2017 19:04, Nick Odell wrote:

Did you know, for instance that nearly all France's main-line trains
run on high-speed track?[1] Or that the only high speed track in the
UK connects London[2]to....

France is a lot bigger so benefits from high speed track, the UK won't
benefit much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

dennis wrote:

Around here it all goes in one bin and is sorted at a recycling plant.

Same here and it works well.

And here ... we used to have 3 recycling bins and even then tetrapaks,
window envelopes, butter and yoghurt containers were not allowed. Now
just one recycling bin and it's always fuller than the rubbish bin (even
though I'm sneaking bits of plasterboard in that over a few weeks).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 10/04/2017 17:25, Capitol wrote:

Very little grocery packaging can be recycled. It's another stupid
green tax.

Plastic bags, paper wrapping, plastic trays either recycle or compost.

We use our supermarket carrier bags as bin liners for landfill rubbish and
compost as we collect these in the kitchen bins. I do wonder whether it
might be cheaper to buy a big roll of bin-bags, and give the carrier bags
back to Ocado for a 5p refund on each :-)

We can't recycle plastic wrapping and plastic trays. Food waste (eg meat,
bones) can't be recycled by our council.

Foil trays go in the dish washer to be reused for tray bakes, etc.
Glass and tins recycle.
There isn't much you can't recycle.
Around here it all goes in one bin and is sorted at a recycling plant.

One of the biggest problems with recycling is that there isn't a national
standard for what is and isn't accepted, and what coloured bins/boxes are
used - every single council seems to be a law unto itself.

As far as I know, we recycle everything that our council accepts, but
there's always far more in the landfill bin (coloured green - how daft is
that?) than in the recycling crates.

Ripping up boxes to flat-pack them into the bag for paper/cardboard is a
real pain, as is having to rinse out every tin can. When I've finished with
something I just want to chuck it, not have to wash it or rip it up before
a) they will take it, b) it will fit.Then there's the faff of having to sort
each waste-paper bin from each room into paper and cardboard (recycled) and
everything else (landfill). I don't always bother, but mostly I do it,
because it's supposedly all in a good cause.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

dennis wrote:

Around here it all goes in one bin and is sorted at a recycling plant.

Same here and it works well.

And here ... we used to have 3 recycling bins and even then tetrapaks,
window envelopes, butter and yoghurt containers were not allowed. Now
just one recycling bin and it's always fuller than the rubbish bin (even
though I'm sneaking bits of plasterboard in that over a few weeks).

Most of it ends up in landfill!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/17 19:04, Nick Odell wrote:
The French have a stereotype reputation
for eating cheese and taking long weekends but in fact they are way
ahead of us economically, educationally, environmentally and in so
many other ways, all of which do not necessarily begin with the letter
'e'.

I take it you have never been there?

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 10/04/2017 19:04, Nick Odell wrote:

Did you know, for instance that nearly all France's main-line trains
run on high-speed track?[1] Or that the only high speed track in the
UK connects London[2]to....

France is a lot bigger so benefits from high speed track, the UK won't
benefit much.

it would on the London to Edinburgh or Glasgow route, but that hasn't been
thought about. We could then stop using aeroplanes on this comparatively
short route.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:07:58 +0100, NY wrote:

Ripping up boxes to flat-pack them into the bag for paper/cardboard is a
real pain,

Did a lot of that last weekend. I tried taking a load to the tip, but
"the container's full".

as is having to rinse out every tin can.

I'll do that if there is water in the sink. Otherwise...well, we're on a
water meter!

We do have two bins in most rooms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:19:22 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 10/04/17 19:04, Nick Odell wrote:
The French have a stereotype reputation
for eating cheese and taking long weekends but in fact they are way
ahead of us economically, educationally, environmentally and in so
many other ways, all of which do not necessarily begin with the letter
'e'.

I take it you have never been there?

I take it from "In Business" on BBC Radio 4 - as referenced in the
part of my post beneath the portion you quoted.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 19:04:27 +0100, Nick Odell
wrote:

Did you know, for instance that nearly all France's main-line trains
run on high-speed track?[1] Or that the only high speed track in the
UK connects London[2]to....

...France.

Nick
[1][2]If that's not correct, blame In Business or my hearing.

It's not really correct, they do have a fair number of non high speed
lines, but there is an element of truth that in that the high speed
network appears to carry the majority of trains.
That's because they have spent so much on the building the TGV network
and allowing train drivers retire at that the older classic lines in
parts of France hardly have any trains at all , maybe one in the
morning and one in the afternoon and many services are now provided by
buses that call at the still existing stations so they are not
actually closed but in some cases the track is disused.

A hypothetical situation in the UK would be high speed routes linking
the capitals,London, Cardiff, Edinburgh and a few others on or nearby
such as Liverpool and Glasgow but existing lines that run from
Lancashire to Yorkshire or between Brighton and Bristol being
downgraded from hourly services to two a day.

G,Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 10/04/17 19:04, Nick Odell wrote:
The French have a stereotype reputation
for eating cheese and taking long weekends but in fact they are way
ahead of us economically, educationally, environmentally and in so
many other ways, all of which do not necessarily begin with the letter
'e'.

I take it you have never been there?

I take it from "In Business" on BBC Radio 4 - as referenced in the
part of my post beneath the portion you quoted.

So, you 'heard it on the BBC' and have no actual experience?

Okay.....

Nick

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Tim Streater wrote:

dennis wrote:

Around here it all goes in one bin and is sorted at a recycling plant.

Same here and it works well.

And here ... we used to have 3 recycling bins and even then tetrapaks,
window envelopes, butter and yoghurt containers were not allowed. Now
just one recycling bin and it's always fuller than the rubbish bin
(even though I'm sneaking bits of plasterboard in that over a few weeks).

Naughty! There is apparently an issue with noxious gas release during
breakdown. As it is a recyclable item perhaps they should consider a
dedicated skip.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/17 09:20, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Tim Streater wrote:

dennis wrote:

Around here it all goes in one bin and is sorted at a recycling plant.

Same here and it works well.

And here ... we used to have 3 recycling bins and even then tetrapaks,
window envelopes, butter and yoghurt containers were not allowed. Now
just one recycling bin and it's always fuller than the rubbish bin
(even though I'm sneaking bits of plasterboard in that over a few weeks).

Naughty! There is apparently an issue with noxious gas release during
breakdown. As it is a recyclable item perhaps they should consider a
dedicated skip.

Gypsum, which is the primary constituent of plasterboard, is spread on
agricultural land in huge quantities as a soil conditioner and fertiliser

It just happens to produce hydrogen sulphide when in anaerobic bacterial
conditions.

And that is a Scary Thing etc etc.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I'm sneaking bits of plasterboard in that over a few weeks).

Naughty!

I know.

There is apparently an issue with noxious gas release during
breakdown.

The stupid thing is that I understand the plasterboard goes away to get
mashed up and sold as a soil improver, so will likely meet organic
matter anyway, the sulphurous gasses will be widely distributed rather
than concentrated in an old quarry.

As it is a recyclable item perhaps they should consider a dedicated skip.

They used to have one at the recycling centre, and I used to use it, now
there's a charge (£3 per 1800mm x 900mm sheet, which is nearly the cost
of new plasterboard).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/17 10:02, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I'm sneaking bits of plasterboard in that over a few weeks).

Naughty!

I know.

There is apparently an issue with noxious gas release during
breakdown.

The stupid thing is that I understand the plasterboard goes away to get
mashed up and sold as a soil improver, so will likely meet organic
matter anyway, the sulphurous gasses will be widely distributed rather
than concentrated in an old quarry.

To be fair its usually applied as a top dressing where it wont get
buried and won't break down anaerobically.

Conversely huge amounts of organic waste that also produces methane and
hydrogen sulphide is buried and dies get to break down anaerobically
anyway, so it seems a shade pointless

As it is a recyclable item perhaps they should consider a dedicated skip.

They used to have one at the recycling centre, and I used to use it, now
there's a charge (£3 per 1800mm x 900mm sheet, which is nearly the cost
of new plasterboard).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nick Odell wrote:
Did you know, for instance that nearly all France's main-line trains
run on high-speed track?[1] Or that the only high speed track in the
UK connects London[2]to....

France doesn't have anything like the extensive rail network the UK has.
And no point in high speed trains if they stop at stations close together.

--
*Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 10/04/2017 17:25, Capitol wrote:

Very little grocery packaging can be recycled. It's another stupid
green tax.

Plastic bags, paper wrapping, plastic trays either recycle or compost.
Foil trays go in the dish washer to be reused for tray bakes, etc.
Glass and tins recycle.
There isn't much you can't recycle.

Really? My local council seems to have a rather precise list of things
that can.

Around here it all goes in one bin and is sorted at a recycling plant.

Given I doubt many really do know what can be recycled or not, it would
make sense for it do be done by those who do. But wouldn't give those
fanatical recyclers that warm superior feeling. ;-)

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
France is a lot bigger so benefits from high speed track, the UK won't
benefit much.

it would on the London to Edinburgh or Glasgow route, but that hasn't
been thought about. We could then stop using aeroplanes on this
comparatively short route.

If the train ran direct from London to Edinburgh etc, yes. But I doubt
enough people make that journey several times a day to fill a train. So
you make a few stops along the way. Making the difference between high
speed and normal less.

BTW, internal flights in the UK frequently take longer than ordinary
train. Door to door. And are far more likely to be delayed.

--
*According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
France is a lot bigger so benefits from high speed track, the UK won't
benefit much.

it would on the London to Edinburgh or Glasgow route, but that hasn't
been thought about. We could then stop using aeroplanes on this
comparatively short route.

If the train ran direct from London to Edinburgh etc, yes. But I doubt
enough people make that journey several times a day to fill a train. So
you make a few stops along the way. Making the difference between high
speed and normal less.

BTW, internal flights in the UK frequently take longer than ordinary
train. Door to door. And are far more likely to be delayed.

My experience of flying between Scotland and London was never delayed
and took far less time than the train. London to Birmingham on the train
takes longer than going by car IME as the time taken to reach the centre
of town adds up to 4 hours to the train journey time between the cities.
I also don't know anybody who can afford the fares for a family.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2017 22:15, Capitol wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

dennis wrote:

Around here it all goes in one bin and is sorted at a recycling plant.

Same here and it works well.

And here ... we used to have 3 recycling bins and even then tetrapaks,
window envelopes, butter and yoghurt containers were not allowed. Now
just one recycling bin and it's always fuller than the rubbish bin (even
though I'm sneaking bits of plasterboard in that over a few weeks).

Most of it ends up in landfill!

No it doesn't.
You can find the accounts data for how much the council gets for the
recycled material v what it pays in landfill tax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 10:59:18 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 10/04/2017 17:25, Capitol wrote:

Very little grocery packaging can be recycled. It's another stupid
green tax.

Plastic bags, paper wrapping, plastic trays either recycle or compost.
Foil trays go in the dish washer to be reused for tray bakes, etc.
Glass and tins recycle.
There isn't much you can't recycle.

Really? My local council seems to have a rather precise list of things
that can.

I've almost given up trying to work it out.
Those costa cups apparently only the label can be recycled in the majority of teh recycling plants, there;s one in the country that can do the plastic paper cups but how do I know if my recycling is taken there or not, I doubt it.
On some items there;s 3 or 4 different materails some can be recycled others can;t and it depends on where it ends up being recycled.
I'm stil not sure if those perferated plastic bits on fruit pots can be recycled or not.
If councils adopded a letter or number code for recylable stuff and the packaging componies did the same this would make recycling life easier.

Around here it all goes in one bin and is sorted at a recycling plant.

Given I doubt many really do know what can be recycled or not, it would
make sense for it do be done by those who do. But wouldn't give those
fanatical recyclers that warm superior feeling. ;-)

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

dennis wrote:

Around here it all goes in one bin and is sorted at a recycling plant.

Same here and it works well.

And here ... we used to have 3 recycling bins and even then tetrapaks,
window envelopes, butter and yoghurt containers were not allowed. Now
just one recycling bin and it's always fuller than the rubbish bin (even
though I'm sneaking bits of plasterboard in that over a few weeks).

Most of it ends up in landfill!

No it doesn't.
You can find the accounts data for how much the council gets for the
recycled material v what it pays in landfill tax.

I take it you also believe in fairies!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
[...]

if it take you 4 hours to reach the city center you aren't travelling from
London to Birmingham, are you?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I've almost given up trying to work it out. Those costa cups apparently
only the label can be recycled in the majority of teh recycling plants,
there;s one in the country that can do the plastic paper cups but how do
I know if my recycling is taken there or not, I doubt it. On some items
there;s 3 or 4 different materails some can be recycled others can;t and
it depends on where it ends up being recycled. I'm stil not sure if
those perferated plastic bits on fruit pots can be recycled or not. If
councils adopded a letter or number code for recylable stuff and the
packaging componies did the same this would make recycling life easier.

Yes. To those who think 'recycling everything' actually saves the planet,
it might in fact make things worse. As a recycled bag containing non
recyclable materials will probably go straight to landfill. So could be
better to only recycle the things you are certain can be used. Plastics in
particular being very difficult to know about.

--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
[...]

Do you live in a Railway station?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
I've almost given up trying to work it out. Those costa cups apparently
only the label can be recycled in the majority of teh recycling plants,
there;s one in the country that can do the plastic paper cups but how do
I know if my recycling is taken there or not, I doubt it. On some items
there;s 3 or 4 different materails some can be recycled others can;t and
it depends on where it ends up being recycled. I'm stil not sure if
those perferated plastic bits on fruit pots can be recycled or not. If
councils adopded a letter or number code for recylable stuff and the
packaging componies did the same this would make recycling life easier.

Yes. To those who think 'recycling everything' actually saves the planet,
it might in fact make things worse. As a recycled bag containing non
recyclable materials will probably go straight to landfill.

why?

councils spend thousands on sorting through the bags for the suitable stuff

I can see some sense in them rejecting bags containing things which may be a
health hazard to the personnel involved in the process, but not because it
contains inert items that just happen not to be recyclable

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
[...]

well no

but 2 hours to get to a London mainline station means that you must live as
far away as Brighton. I can't think of anywhere that you might reasonably
consider as London that is more than 45 minutes away from the centre by the
quickest route.

so you're hardly doing a London to Birmingham journey, are you?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
BTW, internal flights in the UK frequently take longer than ordinary
train. Door to door. And are far more likely to be delayed.

My experience of flying between Scotland and London was never delayed
and took far less time than the train.

Didn't realise Scotland was so small an area it equates to London. Perhaps
you meant Manchester rather than London? Both England, after all.

London to Birmingham on the
train takes longer than going by car IME as the time taken to reach
the centre of town adds up to 4 hours to the train journey time
between the cities.

Ah right. By car now.

if it take you 4 hours to reach the city center you aren't travelling
from London to Birmingham, are you?

Only capitol knows what he means. On a very good day with suitable
medication.

For most, train stations tend to me more conveniently placed than
airports, being in the centre of towns. And tend to have a more frequent
service.

I have a niece who is a frequent traveller from the London area to the NE
of Scotland. Has given up flying that route due to frequent delays, and
the longer check in times than once was the case.

--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Yes. To those who think 'recycling everything' actually saves the
planet, it might in fact make things worse. As a recycled bag
containing non recyclable materials will probably go straight to
landfill.

why?

councils spend thousands on sorting through the bags for the suitable
stuff

But do they all? Some do sort, but some expect the householder to do it
for them. If they really do sort everything, why not put everything except
for food waste etc in the recycling?

I can see some sense in them rejecting bags containing things which may
be a health hazard to the personnel involved in the process, but not
because it contains inert items that just happen not to be recyclable

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
if it take you 4 hours to reach the city center you aren't travelling
from London to Birmingham, are you?

tim

Do you live in a Railway station?

well no

but 2 hours to get to a London mainline station means that you must live
as far away as Brighton. I can't think of anywhere that you might
reasonably consider as London that is more than 45 minutes away from
the centre by the quickest route.

so you're hardly doing a London to Birmingham journey, are you?

A London to Birmingham journey is going to be even quicker pro rata by
train, since the check in times for flights is one of the major factors on
short ones. The longer the distance, the less it relatively matters.

--
*If you can't see my mirrors, I'm doing my hair*