Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Local Councils to be told to take waste fee-free

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 10/04/2017 17:25, Capitol wrote:

Very little grocery packaging can be recycled. It's another stupid
green tax.

Plastic bags, paper wrapping, plastic trays either recycle or compost.

We use our supermarket carrier bags as bin liners for landfill rubbish and
compost as we collect these in the kitchen bins. I do wonder whether it
might be cheaper to buy a big roll of bin-bags, and give the carrier bags
back to Ocado for a 5p refund on each :-)

We can't recycle plastic wrapping and plastic trays. Food waste (eg meat,
bones) can't be recycled by our council.

Foil trays go in the dish washer to be reused for tray bakes, etc.
Glass and tins recycle.
There isn't much you can't recycle.
Around here it all goes in one bin and is sorted at a recycling plant.

One of the biggest problems with recycling is that there isn't a national
standard for what is and isn't accepted, and what coloured bins/boxes are
used - every single council seems to be a law unto itself.

As far as I know, we recycle everything that our council accepts, but
there's always far more in the landfill bin (coloured green - how daft is
that?) than in the recycling crates.

Ripping up boxes to flat-pack them into the bag for paper/cardboard is a
real pain, as is having to rinse out every tin can. When I've finished with
something I just want to chuck it, not have to wash it or rip it up before
a) they will take it, b) it will fit.Then there's the faff of having to sort
each waste-paper bin from each room into paper and cardboard (recycled) and
everything else (landfill). I don't always bother, but mostly I do it,
because it's supposedly all in a good cause.