Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Local Councils to be told to take waste fee-free

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
France is a lot bigger so benefits from high speed track, the UK won't
benefit much.

it would on the London to Edinburgh or Glasgow route, but that hasn't
been thought about. We could then stop using aeroplanes on this
comparatively short route.

If the train ran direct from London to Edinburgh etc, yes. But I doubt
enough people make that journey several times a day to fill a train. So
you make a few stops along the way. Making the difference between high
speed and normal less.

BTW, internal flights in the UK frequently take longer than ordinary
train. Door to door. And are far more likely to be delayed.

My experience of flying between Scotland and London was never delayed

I've met Gatwich closed by fog for a couple of hours and Glasgow (on
another day) - we had to be coached to Glasgow from Edinbugh

and took far less time than the train.

But 2 hour check ins and wait for baggage can make the times comparable

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tim...
wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
France is a lot bigger so benefits from high speed track, the UK
won't benefit much.

it would on the London to Edinburgh or Glasgow route, but that
hasn't been thought about. We could then stop using aeroplanes on
this comparatively short route.

If the train ran direct from London to Edinburgh etc, yes. But I
doubt enough people make that journey several times a day to fill a
train. So you make a few stops along the way. Making the difference
between high speed and normal less.

BTW, internal flights in the UK frequently take longer than ordinary
train. Door to door. And are far more likely to be delayed.

My experience of flying between Scotland and London was never
delayed and took far less time than the train. London to Birmingham
on the train takes longer than going by car IME as the time taken to
reach the centre of town adds up to 4 hours to the train journey time
between the cities.

if it take you 4 hours to reach the city center you aren't travelling
from London to Birmingham, are you?

tim

Do you live in a Railway station?

well no

but 2 hours to get to a London mainline station means that you must live
as far away as Brighton. I can't think of anywhere that you might
reasonably consider as London that is more than 45 minutes away from the
centre by the quickest route.

so you're hardly doing a London to Birmingham journey, are you?

tim

My train time to Waterloo is 45 minutes + 15 minutes to get to the station
(on foot) and buy a ticket. I've then got o cross London - allow 45 minutes
- and it's getting close to two hours.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2017 13:53, whisky-dave wrote:

If councils adopded a letter or number code for recylable stuff and the packaging componies did the same this would make recycling life easier.

There is one!
its a recycling logo with a number or letters inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/17 17:37, charles wrote:
In article , tim...
wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
[...]

No 42
Clapham Junction
Wimbledon
Surbiton
Hinchley Wood
Claygate
Oxshott
Cobham
Effingham Junction
Horsley...

Ingrained in me childhood consciousness...

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2017 13:01, Capitol wrote:

My experience of flying between Scotland and London was never
delayed and took far less time than the train. London to Birmingham on
the train takes longer than going by car IME as the time taken to reach
the centre of town adds up to 4 hours to the train journey time between
the cities.

Its a twelve mile walk?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
And there's the rub. Something must be done - but no one wants to pay for
it.

Making tips free doesn't stop fly tipping.
The tips are free around here and people still fly tip.

Are they free for builder's waste, etc, too, though?

I think you are wrong to call it builders waste. It's customers waste
and should be dealt with in the way I have deal with it - legally - and
I have to include the waste costs in the bill to the customer.

But as you said "no one wants to pay for it".

Some people are just too idle to take it to a tip or they choose to go
when its shut and dump it elsewhere.

Very true. The same as chucking an empty crisp bag rather than taking it
home or finding a waste basket.

Quite a few apprentices, have over the years, thrown rubbish such as
empty pop cans and crisp bags out of my passenger side window.

Can you guess how many have done it twice when I am driving:-)?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2017 18:11, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

The paint and varnishes I use seem to have it built in!
Whenever I go back to a part used tin the contents are useless.

Store the cans upside down for a day to make a seal.

Then the next time you lever them open, dried and crust bits will fall
into the remaining paint ...

Yes. I found this out to my cost. I just turn the can upside down for a few
seconds to hopefully make a seal.
On the last cans of paint I've stuck some cling film over the tops before
putting the lids back on.
Dunno if this is going to work or not.

Sod's law applies.

It will work fine for the paint can you will never need to use again and
not for the paint can you will need to use again.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

The paint and varnishes I use seem to have it built in!
Whenever I go back to a part used tin the contents are useless.

Store the cans upside down for a day to make a seal.

Then the next time you lever them open, dried and crust bits will fall
into the remaining paint ...

Yes. I found this out to my cost. I just turn the can upside down for a few
seconds to hopefully make a seal.
On the last cans of paint I've stuck some cling film over the tops before
putting the lids back on.
Dunno if this is going to work or not.

Sod's law applies.

It will work fine for the paint can you will never need to use again and
not for the paint can you will need to use again.

Yep. As I found the other day, all precautions against drying out had failed.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I've almost given up trying to work it out. Those costa cups apparently
only the label can be recycled in the majority of teh recycling plants,
there;s one in the country that can do the plastic paper cups but how do
I know if my recycling is taken there or not, I doubt it. On some items
there;s 3 or 4 different materails some can be recycled others can;t and
it depends on where it ends up being recycled. I'm stil not sure if
those perferated plastic bits on fruit pots can be recycled or not. If
councils adopded a letter or number code for recylable stuff and the
packaging componies did the same this would make recycling life easier.

Yes. To those who think 'recycling everything' actually saves the planet,
it might in fact make things worse. As a recycled bag containing non
recyclable materials will probably go straight to landfill. So could be
better to only recycle the things you are certain can be used. Plastics in
particular being very difficult to know about.

Recycling stations in London (very limited experience) seem to offer a
greater choice of skips than our rural ones.

Two thoughts for when I rule the world:-

Recyclable packaging should be marked clearly.

and manufacturers should be encouraged to avoid packaging destined for
the rubbish bin.

Who dreamed up tetrapak anyway?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
Tim Lamb wrote:

[snip]

Who dreamed up tetrapak anyway?

Ruben Rausing.
Son Hans has an estate in Wadhurst.
Seriously rich-list.

--
Jim White
Wimbledon London England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
[...]

So you can do London to Scotland in less than 5 hours? I've acually
done it in less than 4.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Capitol
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

BTW, internal flights in the UK frequently take longer than ordinary
train. Door to door. And are far more likely to be delayed.

My experience of flying between Scotland and London was never
delayed and took far less time than the train. London to Birmingham on
the train takes longer than going by car IME as the time taken to
reach the centre of town adds up to 4 hours to the train journey time
between the cities. I also don't know anybody who can afford the fares
for a family.

Gatwick to Edinburgh: delayed two hours due to weather.

Edinburgh to Gatwick: cancelled by Easy. So we took the train to Kings
X, tube to Victoria, and then train to Lewes, drop off FiL and pick up
car from his, two hour drive back to Canterbury.

Arrived back home *before* the take-off of the alternative flight
proposed by Easy.

Exceptions? No rail strikes? No leaves? I saw only 2 delays for others
from Scotland, one Ryanair cancelled due to ice at Stansted, one BA
cancelled as not enough passengers! The revised BA flight was 3 hours
later arriving, Ryanair was delayed 12 hours. The train would have taken
12 hours of travelling and been much more expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 00:40:53 +0100, Davey wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ter-ministers/

At last! It is blatantly clear that part of the cause of fly-tipping is
the fact that it is so difficult to dispose of waste. We used to have a
council-run rubbish/recycling centre near us, then it was closed, then
re-opened under a contractor, who charges £6 per car-load. But it never
seems to be open, so it's impossible to make any plans to go there.

Another problem is where to dispose of used engine oil and coolant.
Both are no-nos for putting down the drain. "Find a willing local
garage" is the advice. No, I want to take it to a place that will
accept it, rather than try to persuade an unwilling garage, with whom
I do no business.

And finally, there is a collection of old gardening powders, paint,
snail repellent etc in our garage. Some of it may be old enough to
qualify as historical and worthy of a museum. But in order to dispose of
it, whereas I would like to just put it all in a box and take it to my
local waste centre, I am supposed to itemise it by description and
quantity, and then call for a Hazmat lorry to come and collect it, and
pay £45 for the privilege.
And they wonder why people fly-tip.

I thought they were all free. Mine is, so is where my Uncle lives. You have to pay if you're a commercial vehicle, but any tradesman with any sense uses his car and a trailer instead of the van with his company name on it. Since they recycle most of the waste, they should be making a profit?

--
I got invited to a party and was told to dress to kill. Apparently a turban, beard and a backpack wasn't what they had in mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 09 Apr 2017 09:57:30 +0100, wrote:

On Sun, 9 Apr 2017 01:59:36 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

I suspect that the majority of flytipping doesn't come from DIYers though
so I can't see this having a huge impact unfortunately.

It's the tradesmen working on tight margins who will still have the
incentive to flytip.

Till a lot of councils altered their conditions a lot of those Jobs
done by smaller tradesmen became part DIY , The DIY bit being the
waste disposal as the tradesmen left the waste for the householder
to dispose of "free" and that would be reflected in the cost of the
job done.

Now the there is a cost some householders are fly tipping to save
money,some directly , others by employing a cheap disposal service
offered by some dubious character with a flatbed.
Not all householders know or care about asking to see the relevant
paperwork that legitimate operators should have, other householders
are just innocently unaware which has resulted in some nasty surprises
when the source of the rubbish has been traced by a an envelope with
an address for example and legal action has followed.
Personally I would like to any vehicle involved with fly tipping
seized and crushed within hours, preferably with the perpetuator in
it.

Why not confiscate the vehicle and sell it? You sound as stupid as the police. Crushing a vehicle because it's owner has done something wrong is not very environmentally friendly is it?

--
In the Nintendo GameCube instruction manual:
"Do not attempt to stick head inside deck, which may result in injury"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Capitol
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

BTW, internal flights in the UK frequently take longer than ordinary
train. Door to door. And are far more likely to be delayed.

My experience of flying between Scotland and London was never
delayed and took far less time than the train. London to Birmingham on
the train takes longer than going by car IME as the time taken to
reach the centre of town adds up to 4 hours to the train journey time
between the cities. I also don't know anybody who can afford the fares
for a family.

Gatwick to Edinburgh: delayed two hours due to weather.

Edinburgh to Gatwick: cancelled by Easy. So we took the train to Kings
X, tube to Victoria, and then train to Lewes, drop off FiL and pick up
car from his, two hour drive back to Canterbury.

Arrived back home *before* the take-off of the alternative flight
proposed by Easy.

That's the sort of thing my niece reported. And now reckons the definitive
way from Aberdeen to London is the sleeper. Or rather the doser. Not
paying for a bed, but a reclining seat. Train departs at about 21.30, and
a couple of glasses of wine while reading a book, then a nap, and she's
indoors by about 0900. Of course if she goes with her family, they take
the car.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Yes. To those who think 'recycling everything' actually saves the planet,
it might in fact make things worse. As a recycled bag containing non
recyclable materials will probably go straight to landfill. So could be
better to only recycle the things you are certain can be used. Plastics in
particular being very difficult to know about.

Recycling stations in London (very limited experience) seem to offer a
greater choice of skips than our rural ones.

Two thoughts for when I rule the world:-

Recyclable packaging should be marked clearly.

Yes. Or more to the point, all foodstuff packaging should be recyclable.

and manufacturers should be encouraged to avoid packaging destined for
the rubbish bin.

I recently did a load of shredding, and know this can't go in with the
recycling. But thought they might have a skip for it at the centre. But
not - just goes in the household waste. (I didn't fancy putting it in my
usual rubbish sacks and have the compactor scatter it everywhere)

--
*We waste time, so you don't have to *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , tim...
wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
[...]

why? surely you have a through ticket

I've then got o cross London - allow 45 minutes

or even 20 minutes for normal people

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
and manufacturers should be encouraged to avoid packaging destined for
the rubbish bin.

I recently did a load of shredding, and know this can't go in with the
recycling. But thought they might have a skip for it at the centre. But
not - just goes in the household waste. (I didn't fancy putting it in my
usual rubbish sacks and have the compactor scatter it everywhere)

St. Albans take it with the garden waste.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
Yes. To those who think 'recycling everything' actually saves the
planet, it might in fact make things worse. As a recycled bag
containing non recyclable materials will probably go straight to
landfill.

why?

councils spend thousands on sorting through the bags for the suitable
stuff

But do they all?

most do

Some do sort, but some expect the householder to do it
for them.

well yes, because that makes it easier for them. But it doesn't
automatically mean that unsorted waste must go to landfill

If they really do sort everything, why not put everything except
for food waste etc in the recycling?

what about dirty nappies?

(as just one example)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Capitol
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

BTW, internal flights in the UK frequently take longer than ordinary
train. Door to door. And are far more likely to be delayed.

My experience of flying between Scotland and London was never delayed
and took far less time than the train. London to Birmingham on the train
takes longer than going by car IME as the time taken to reach the centre
of town adds up to 4 hours to the train journey time between the cities.
I also don't know anybody who can afford the fares for a family.

Gatwick to Edinburgh: delayed two hours due to weather.

Edinburgh to Gatwick: cancelled by Easy. So we took the train to Kings
X, tube to Victoria, and then train to Lewes, drop off FiL and pick up
car from his, two hour drive back to Canterbury.

Arrived back home *before* the take-off of the alternative flight
proposed by Easy.

which simply proves that Easy are useless at re-booking passengers

Now, who is surprised by that?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , ARW
wrote:

Quite a few apprentices, have over the years, thrown rubbish such as empty
pop cans and crisp bags out of my passenger side window.

What sanction do you apply under such circumstances?

stopping the car and telling then to go and pick it up :-)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim White" wrote in message
In message
Tim Lamb wrote:

[snip]

Who dreamed up tetrapak anyway?

Ruben Rausing.
Son Hans has an estate in Wadhurst.
Seriously rich-list.

having somehow managed the trick of still getting people to pay them a
royalty even after the "invention" went out of patent

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
[...]

there is a growing trend for councils to charge

it hasn't reached endemic proportions, yet!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Quite a few apprentices, have over the years, thrown rubbish such as
empty pop cans and crisp bags out of my passenger side window.

What sanction do you apply under such circumstances?

stopping the car and telling then to go and pick it up :-)

Umm, I'm not sure about the 'stopping' part of your comment :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
and manufacturers should be encouraged to avoid packaging destined for
the rubbish bin.

I recently did a load of shredding, and know this can't go in with the
recycling. But thought they might have a skip for it at the centre. But
not - just goes in the household waste. (I didn't fancy putting it in my
usual rubbish sacks and have the compactor scatter it everywhere)

St. Albans take it with the garden waste.

Locally it goes in recycling with the other papar and plastics.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , tim...
wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:
[...]

So you also believe in fairies?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim...
writes

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
. ..
In article , ARW
wrote:

Quite a few apprentices, have over the years, thrown rubbish such as
empty pop cans and crisp bags out of my passenger side window.

What sanction do you apply under such circumstances?

stopping the car and telling then to go and pick it up :-)

With the advent of dashcams there is an opportunity for a *snoopers*
charter. Empty can/bottle out of window and instant recording of event
for passing to enforcement authority.

While I deplore roadside litter, I wonder if it would be a *British*
activity? Sneaking on ones classmates was totally taboo at my school.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 08:50:36 +0100, tim... wrote:

[...]

If I was charged as much as a commercial vehicle (£40 for as much as you can bring in your vehicle and trailer), I'd fly tip.

--
What's the difference between a naked white woman and a naked black woman?
One's on the cover of Playboy and the other's on the cover of National Geographic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 18:08:29 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 11/04/2017 13:53, whisky-dave wrote:

If councils adopded a letter or number code for recylable stuff and the packaging componies did the same this would make recycling life easier.

There is one!

Not a very clear one.

its a recycling logo with a number or letters inside.

Not seen any that actually mean anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
and manufacturers should be encouraged to avoid packaging destined for
the rubbish bin.

I recently did a load of shredding, and know this can't go in with the
recycling. But thought they might have a skip for it at the centre. But
not - just goes in the household waste. (I didn't fancy putting it in my
usual rubbish sacks and have the compactor scatter it everywhere)

St. Albans take it with the garden waste.

I'd have thought it would have had at least some uses. Being normally
pretty pure paper.

--
*Kill one man and you're a murderer, kill a million youand 're a conqueror.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Edinburgh to Gatwick: cancelled by Easy. So we took the train to Kings
X, tube to Victoria, and then train to Lewes, drop off FiL and pick up
car from his, two hour drive back to Canterbury.

Arrived back home *before* the take-off of the alternative flight
proposed by Easy.

Exceptions? No rail strikes? No leaves?

What *are* you talking about?

Add to that we didn't even start in Edinburgh - we were in a small
village called Dalmeny near Queensferry, so had to get the train in to
Waverley before we could even start looking at Kings X trains.

Wouldn't it make more sense to plan any journey before setting off?

Of course you can produce a scenario where the plane is quicker. If you
live close to both airports either end and get a lift to and from them.

But let's talk about what is fastest for most, for a change.

--
*Taxation WITH representation ain't much fun, either.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2017 10:23, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

wrote:

Quite a few apprentices, have over the years, thrown rubbish such as
empty pop cans and crisp bags out of my passenger side window.

What sanction do you apply under such circumstances?

stopping the car and telling then to go and pick it up :-)

With the advent of dashcams there is an opportunity for a *snoopers*
charter. Empty can/bottle out of window and instant recording of event
for passing to enforcement authority.

While I deplore roadside litter, I wonder if it would be a *British*
activity? Sneaking on ones classmates was totally taboo at my school.

That's the criminal elements trying to get the young impressionable
people to think its wrong. Its a bit like grooming where you convince
young people that its wrong to tell about abuse. Its usually the bullies
that do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2017 10:58, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 18:08:29 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 11/04/2017 13:53, whisky-dave wrote:

If councils adopded a letter or number code for recylable stuff
and the packaging componies did the same this would make
recycling life easier.

There is one!

Not a very clear one.

its a recycling logo with a number or letters inside.

Not seen any that actually mean anything.

You must go around with your eyes shut then. They are everywhere these
days, but some council systems cannot cope with any black plastic
recyclable containers as their kit doesn't recognise them properly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycl...n_Commi ssion

Our council has just started charging for green bins - which as far as I
can see will mean a lot more grass cuttings going into landfill.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2017 09:14, Capitol wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I recently did a load of shredding, and know this can't go in with the
recycling. But thought they might have a skip for it at the centre. But
not - just goes in the household waste. (I didn't fancy putting it in my
usual rubbish sacks and have the compactor scatter it everywhere)

St. Albans take it with the garden waste.

Locally it goes in recycling with the other papar and plastics.

Not here. Apparently it blocks the sorting machinery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

I recently did a load of shredding, and know this can't go in with the
recycling.

Either our council accepts shredded paper, or they fail to point out
that they don't; either way twice I've put out my wheelie bin completely
chock-full of shredded paper, and no complaints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Either our council accepts shredded paper

Just checked, and they're happy with it in the recycling bins.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 11:31:32 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Either our council accepts shredded paper

Just checked, and they're happy with it in the recycling bins.

I put quite a lot of shredding in our, no complaints. Even when they
don't quite manage the bin properly and a lot of it ends up on the road!

wish to copy them they can pay me Β£1 a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , tim...
writes

wrote:

Quite a few apprentices, have over the years, thrown rubbish such as
empty pop cans and crisp bags out of my passenger side window.

What sanction do you apply under such circumstances?

stopping the car and telling then to go and pick it up :-)

With the advent of dashcams there is an opportunity for a *snoopers*
charter. Empty can/bottle out of window and instant recording of event
for passing to enforcement authority.

While I deplore roadside litter, I wonder if it would be a *British*
activity? Sneaking on ones classmates was totally taboo at my school.

The average dashcam can't resolve a number plate.