Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Local Councils to be told to take waste fee-free

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I've almost given up trying to work it out. Those costa cups apparently
only the label can be recycled in the majority of teh recycling plants,
there;s one in the country that can do the plastic paper cups but how do
I know if my recycling is taken there or not, I doubt it. On some items
there;s 3 or 4 different materails some can be recycled others can;t and
it depends on where it ends up being recycled. I'm stil not sure if
those perferated plastic bits on fruit pots can be recycled or not. If
councils adopded a letter or number code for recylable stuff and the
packaging componies did the same this would make recycling life easier.

Yes. To those who think 'recycling everything' actually saves the planet,
it might in fact make things worse. As a recycled bag containing non
recyclable materials will probably go straight to landfill. So could be
better to only recycle the things you are certain can be used. Plastics in
particular being very difficult to know about.

Recycling stations in London (very limited experience) seem to offer a
greater choice of skips than our rural ones.

Two thoughts for when I rule the world:-

Recyclable packaging should be marked clearly.

and manufacturers should be encouraged to avoid packaging destined for
the rubbish bin.

Who dreamed up tetrapak anyway?

--
Tim Lamb