Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HiFi (OT)

at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at Wow
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Are they rubbish - or isn't the medium selective enough for the cheap
mechanical features to matter?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 12:41:49 PM UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at Wow
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Are they rubbish - or isn't the medium selective enough for the cheap
mechanical features to matter?

You could always buy a turntable for 50 quid , cart included.....

Turntable that costs more will still be able to extract more from the groove than a pin through a polystyrene cup ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Higher range ones don't seem to appear in adverts like the cheapo ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/17 12:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at Wow
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Are they rubbish

Vinyl surface noises sounds horrible when compressed at low bit rates
and cartridges in cheap decks will almost certainly be ceramic.

The MP3 result will be lifeless if there was any life in the original
studio performance.

That might not matter ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at
Wow and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Are they rubbish - or isn't the medium selective enough for the cheap
mechanical features to matter?

I suppose if you make billions of them the price comes down. But the
precision a decent turntable, arm and cartridge were made to in the good
ol' days suggests otherwise. A replacement stylus for my Ortofon cart.
costs more than one of these USB turntables. ;-)
Also, it was never simple making a good sounding RIAA preamp. Let alone
one which does that for a USB input.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2017 12:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at Wow
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Not worth it when you can just download an MP3.
I consider it just a legal to do so as recording the record.
Neither will get you into trouble.

Are they rubbish - or isn't the medium selective enough for the cheap
mechanical features to matter?

Rubbish, but probably better than the old SP25s people had.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also, it was never simple making a good sounding RIAA preamp. Let alone
one which does that for a USB input.

It doesn't need to though.
You just post process the digital to correct it.
As long as the DtoA is good enough it will be better than preamp
equalization (for some value of better).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Neighbours had to send back two, to get a third working one, I haven't
heard the results.

it was never simple making a good sounding RIAA preamp.

Do that in software on the PC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 17/01/2017 12:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at
Wow and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Not worth it when you can just download an MP3. I consider it just a
legal to do so as recording the record. Neither will get you into trouble.

is my entire LP collection available on MP3? even if it were, it would cost
me quite a lot to duplicate music that I already have.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/17 13:51, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Neighbours had to send back two, to get a third working one, I haven't
heard the results.

it was never simple making a good sounding RIAA preamp.

Do that in software on the PC.

still got to do a proper input buffer-with-gain stage though.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 January 2017 13:39:14 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 17/01/2017 12:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at Wow
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Not worth it when you can just download an MP3.

Is that as easy as it once was, I was lucky about 5 or so years ago when I was looking for stuff I had on vinyl, I found quite a bit on what would now be illegal I assume, plus I got some stuff I didn't know existed.

I consider it just a legal to do so as recording the record.

You might do but the record industry doesn't well they're after money that's all.
In theory I should be able to prove I have a vinyl and be able to get the MP3 or ACC almost free.

Neither will get you into trouble.

It's those 'sharing' their music that get into trouble.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 17/01/2017 12:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at
Wow and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Not worth it when you can just download an MP3. I consider it just a
legal to do so as recording the record. Neither will get you into
trouble.

is my entire LP collection available on MP3? even if it were, it would
cost me quite a lot to duplicate music that I already have.

I'm surprised by the number of folk who have got rid of their record
playing equipment, but kept all their LPs. My niece's hubby is one such.
Given how much space LPs take to store. He was apparently getting one of
these USB turntables for Xmas so he could digitize his LP collection.
I did say he could come here and do it properly. ;-)

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 January 2017 14:28:30 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 17/01/2017 12:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at
Wow and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Not worth it when you can just download an MP3. I consider it just a
legal to do so as recording the record. Neither will get you into
trouble.

is my entire LP collection available on MP3? even if it were, it would
cost me quite a lot to duplicate music that I already have.

I'm surprised by the number of folk who have got rid of their record
playing equipment,

I got rid of my Dual 505 turntable when it stopped working took it apart and the band had perished after just 30 years ! same with my cassette deck.
My NAD 3130 seems to only work on one channel, my mordn short speakers take up too much space and my only working bit of hifi is a graphic equaliser I only used when watching VHS films and music on VHS.
I still have most of this stuff just sitting in the loft incluing 2 VHS machines a Mac SE30 a Macplus a LC475 and quite a bit of other stuff that's of little use. I still have all my old vinyl a few feet in physical size.
Glad I kept it and didn;t through it all out years ag, only found out last year that I had a rae alladine sane gatefold with misprint.

Not something you can get with MP3s

but kept all their LPs.

I assume singles too.

My niece's hubby is one such.
Given how much space LPs take to store.

Well if it;s a collectable hobby collectign cars takes more space even if you've a thing about angle grinder they take up space too most hobbies to, look at all the wasted space taken up by books when you can have them in PDF or whatever.

He was apparently getting one of
these USB turntables for Xmas so he could digitize his LP collection.
I did say he could come here and do it properly. ;-)

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I'm surprised by the number of folk who have got rid of their record
playing equipment,

I got rid of my Dual 505 turntable when it stopped working took it apart
and the band had perished after just 30 years ! same with my cassette
deck. My NAD 3130 seems to only work on one channel, my mordn short
speakers take up too much space and my only working bit of hifi is a
graphic equaliser I only used when watching VHS films and music on VHS.

So you no longer bother with a Hi-Fi, but listen to music from your iPhone
only?

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well they are cheap turntables end of story.
Its like the cassette to mp3 devices its junk mostly.
I would say a normal turntable with a decent cartridge will always be
better just stuck into one of those cheap behringer usb sound boxes, the one
with the switchable raii/line in phonos.
Wonderful with even my Technichs sl5a and Or too concord cart.
Indeed ortofon seem to have rebranded their carts as Vinyl reclamation
series or some such twaddle.

The big part is the software you use on the transferred audio. Use wav not
mp3 and carefully apply noise reduction and minimal click removal manually
per track.
You could get a posh expensive set of software to do it but half the fun is
doing it manually and ending up with a cd that sounds very nice indeed.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at Wow
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Are they rubbish - or isn't the medium selective enough for the cheap
mechanical features to matter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 17/01/2017 12:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at
Wow and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Not worth it when you can just download an MP3. I consider it just a
legal to do so as recording the record. Neither will get you into
trouble.

is my entire LP collection available on MP3? even if it were, it would
cost me quite a lot to duplicate music that I already have.

I'm surprised by the number of folk who have got rid of their record
playing equipment, but kept all their LPs. My niece's hubby is one such.
Given how much space LPs take to store. He was apparently getting one of
these USB turntables for Xmas so he could digitize his LP collection.
I did say he could come here and do it properly. ;-)

I kept my turntable but there's a rubber band in it that has metamorphosed
into something rather sticky.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 January 2017 15:13:55 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
I'm surprised by the number of folk who have got rid of their record
playing equipment,

I got rid of my Dual 505 turntable when it stopped working took it apart
and the band had perished after just 30 years ! same with my cassette
deck. My NAD 3130 seems to only work on one channel, my mordn short
speakers take up too much space and my only working bit of hifi is a
graphic equaliser I only used when watching VHS films and music on VHS.

So you no longer bother with a Hi-Fi,

correct. I now prefer to go and see live music when I can.

but listen to music from your iPhone
only?

Never listened to music on my iphone I've only had it a few weeks, only got a SIM for it last week.
When I've litened to music it's been via my iMac with although Version 1

http://www.harmankardon.co.uk/comput...Uq0wodcQo GrA

for most uses my iMac is enough I also watch music videos on yuotube and that's good enough I find.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/17 13:11, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 17/01/17 12:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at
Wow
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Are they rubbish

Vinyl surface noises sounds horrible when compressed at low bit rates
and cartridges in cheap decks will almost certainly be ceramic.

The MP3 result will be lifeless if there was any life in the original
studio performance.

That might not matter ...

It makes me laugh when I see the vinyl record hipster stores - because
half the people buying vinyl probably have a POS toy turntable with a
cheap ceramic cartridge, unbalanced turntable with all the wow and
flutter possible, unbalanced arm and rubbish pre-amp.

A cheap CD player would be 100 times better, not to mention having to
keep vinyl super clean.

I grew up listening to vinyl and a good record on a decent middle of the
road Gerrard turntable with a very decent but simple amp and again, a
pair of middle but decent speakers, did sound good.

I could easily hear the difference between a ceramic and magnetic
cartridge too.

But it was also a PITA to keep the records clean and having to flip the
record and all that malarky.

Now we have a race to the bottom with **** earphones, and compressed to
buggery MP3s.

Personally - I buy CDs and rip (carefully with software that retries
errors rather than skips), then encode lossless, plus a second max
bitrate MP3 for and devices that cannot handle lossless.

Where we should be right now is being able to buy digital lossless media
at better than 44kHz sampling...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/17 13:39, dennis@home wrote:
On 17/01/2017 12:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at
Wow
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Not worth it when you can just download an MP3.
I consider it just a legal to do so as recording the record.
Neither will get you into trouble.

Are they rubbish - or isn't the medium selective enough for the cheap
mechanical features to matter?

Rubbish, but probably better than the old SP25s people had.

Why on earth would you want the crappiest format possible, instead of a
more modern lossless high bitrate encoding?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2017 15:38, Tim Watts wrote:

It makes me laugh when I see the vinyl record hipster stores - because
half the people buying vinyl probably have a POS toy turntable with a
cheap ceramic cartridge, unbalanced turntable with all the wow and
flutter possible, unbalanced arm and rubbish pre-amp.

I dunno - IME people who can be arsed with vinyl also tend to be arsed
about getting a decent amp/turntable/speakers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/2017 15:57, Clive George wrote:
On 17/01/2017 15:38, Tim Watts wrote:

It makes me laugh when I see the vinyl record hipster stores - because
half the people buying vinyl probably have a POS toy turntable with a
cheap ceramic cartridge, unbalanced turntable with all the wow and
flutter possible, unbalanced arm and rubbish pre-amp.

I dunno - IME people who can be arsed with vinyl also tend to be arsed
about getting a decent amp/turntable/speakers.

Quite often not, IME. Crosley Cruisers, for example. Many, many
cheap-and-nasty integradted turntables with USB output. You're
forgetting vinyl as a fashion statement here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

operly. ;-)

I kept my turntable but there's a rubber band in it that has
metamorphosed into something rather sticky.

Same with mine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/17 16:12, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 17/01/2017 15:57, Clive George wrote:
On 17/01/2017 15:38, Tim Watts wrote:

It makes me laugh when I see the vinyl record hipster stores - because
half the people buying vinyl probably have a POS toy turntable with a
cheap ceramic cartridge, unbalanced turntable with all the wow and
flutter possible, unbalanced arm and rubbish pre-amp.

I dunno - IME people who can be arsed with vinyl also tend to be arsed
about getting a decent amp/turntable/speakers.

Quite often not, IME. Crosley Cruisers, for example. Many, many
cheap-and-nasty integradted turntables with USB output. You're
forgetting vinyl as a fashion statement here.

Yup, hipster marketing. Ye can also buy records, specially made, as
accessories for the player. Just in case you know someone who wants a
memory trip back to the 50s, but has lost all in the meantime, they have
Sinatra and Elvis.

http://www.theworks.co.uk/c/home-and.../vinyl-records

Local shop had these on sale during Christmas for £10 each. No takers.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 January 2017 15:38:23 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/01/17 13:11, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 17/01/17 12:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at
Wow
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file..

Are they rubbish

Vinyl surface noises sounds horrible when compressed at low bit rates
and cartridges in cheap decks will almost certainly be ceramic.

The MP3 result will be lifeless if there was any life in the original
studio performance.

That might not matter ...

It makes me laugh when I see the vinyl record hipster stores - because
half the people buying vinyl probably have a POS toy turntable with a
cheap ceramic cartridge, unbalanced turntable with all the wow and
flutter possible, unbalanced arm and rubbish pre-amp.

Maybe you should talk to them personlly and see what they actually have but about 50% of vinyl purchasers don't play them but only play the MP3 downloads the last album I brought for instance. Some like the object lijke those ****wits that still by books that dont; have videos in them and can;t be easily searched. So people colelct wine in a simmilar way , some colelct cars and put them in sheds and doesnlt drive them to and from work, so what's the point of a car if yuo don;t drive it.

A cheap CD player would be 100 times better, not to mention having to
keep vinyl super clean.

I've managed that with most of my vinyl and mostly unscratched.
Hopefully the picture posters are still their too.

I grew up listening to vinyl and a good record on a decent middle of the
road Gerrard turntable with a very decent but simple amp and again, a
pair of middle but decent speakers, did sound good.

I could easily hear the difference between a ceramic and magnetic
cartridge too.

So, we all know that not everyone from 10 to 100 has the same hearing ability thought their lives.

But it was also a PITA to keep the records clean and having to flip the
record and all that malarky.

Didnlt seem that much hassle at the time but if it was yuo coudl always record what yuo wanted on to a C120, if you were that fussed. I used C90s and how did you listen to music in the car didnlt the needle jump around all over the place.

Now we have a race to the bottom with **** earphones, and compressed to
buggery MP3s.

Or ACC and yuo can pay quite a bit for earphnes same as the old days with speakers.
I've got a pair of Bose QuietComfort 15 for music listening and a £20 earbud if I want to be out and about listening but then it's usually podcast NOT music.
I prefer them to my apple ones.

Personally - I buy CDs and rip (carefully with software that retries
errors rather than skips), then encode lossless, plus a second max
bitrate MP3 for and devices that cannot handle lossless.

Where we should be right now is being able to buy digital lossless media
at better than 44kHz sampling...

Yes and we all should spend at least £50 for a decent bottle of wine in a resturant as with most it depends on the price and what you want.
Most of my MP3s are ACC or MP3 at 192KHz or higher.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 15:38:18 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

[...]

You can now if you want to waste your money.

http://www.hdtracks.co.uk/

https://www.highresaudio.com/en

Hyperion and Linn will sell you high res lossess fliles direct. No
doubt there are lots more and no doubt mainly selling to the same sort
of people who think vinyl can't be bettered.

You do have to be careful; some of the claimed hi-res tracks look
suspiciously like CDs with a doubled sample rate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 January 2017 16:24:40 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

For me that proves people aren't as stupid as most other people think they are.

How many people collect MP3s Do you enjoy looking at the artwork on your MP3s
Dont; you fidn it starnge that some peole still buy paining when they can buy posters of have jpgs on their computer ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If they are remastered they aren't original are they.
Which make the originals worth more than a MP3 or even AIFF

Which is why I haven't dumped my vinyl.
I've got clear and coloured vinyl of some tracks too they do seem to crackle more as I remember.
I haven't dumped my CDs either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some like the object lijke those ****wits that still by books that dont; have videos in them and can;t be easily searched.

If I wanted a video I'd not buy a book. The bandwidth for information
transfer in text can be massively higher than a video.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 12:41:49 PM UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at Wow
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Are they rubbish - or isn't the medium selective enough for the cheap
mechanical features to matter?

I suspect they are rubbish, but I have wonderedthe same thing. I have a lot of LPs that i've not heard since I was young (1970s) and I also have the original GL75 turntable I used to play them on. My plan (one day) is to connect up the GL75 to a PC and make CDs of the vinyl. I actually want all the pops and crackles because I am so familiar with them and they will be part of the nostalgic experience.

Daft I know.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 4:13:29 PM UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
operly. ;-)

I kept my turntable but there's a rubber band in it that has
metamorphosed into something rather sticky.

Same with mine.

Google will find you a replacement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
I kept my turntable but there's a rubber band in it that has
metamorphosed into something rather sticky.

Unless it's something very rare I'd say a spare shouldn't be too hard to
find. Got one for my Thorens easily. Ebay might be worth a look.

--
*The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 13:42:34 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

Also, it was never simple making a good sounding RIAA preamp. Let

alone
one which does that for a USB input.

It doesn't need to though.
You just post process the digital to correct it.

Assuming that recording pre the horrendous RIAA equalisation you can
get a decent enough digital representation that doesn't go all nasty
when corrected in the digital domain. There is 40 dB difference in
level between the LF and HF ends. 16 bit encoding might struggle,
that only has a 96 dB dynamic range, doesn't leave a lot of space
with 30 to 40 dB dyanmic range of an LP. 24 bit would be OK. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 16:13:26 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:
operly. ;-)

I kept my turntable but there's a rubber band in it that has
metamorphosed into something rather sticky.

Same with mine.

That's the benefit of direct drive with quartz lock (my Sony PS-LX5 -
bought in 1981).

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 08:54:15 -0800 (PST), RobertL
wrote:
[...]

Some claim to play 78s with an appropriate stylus - they play at 45
RPM I think and post process the sound to get the pitch right.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 13:42:34 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

Also, it was never simple making a good sounding RIAA preamp. Let

alone
one which does that for a USB input.

It doesn't need to though.
You just post process the digital to correct it.

Assuming that recording pre the horrendous RIAA equalisation you can
get a decent enough digital representation that doesn't go all nasty
when corrected in the digital domain. There is 40 dB difference in
level between the LF and HF ends. 16 bit encoding might struggle,
that only has a 96 dB dynamic range, doesn't leave a lot of space
with 30 to 40 dB dyanmic range of an LP. 24 bit would be OK. B-)

Quite. 16 bit is just fine for an end user replay system. Once you go into
signal processing of any kind - and that's what the RIAA curve is - it is
very marginal.

--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 17/01/17 13:11, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Where we should be right now is being able to buy digital lossless media
at better than 44kHz sampling...

You can now if you want to waste your money.

http://www.hdtracks.co.uk/

https://www.highresaudio.com/en

Hyperion and Linn will sell you high res lossess fliles direct. No
doubt there are lots more and no doubt mainly selling to the same sort
of people who think vinyl can't be bettered.

You do have to be careful; some of the claimed hi-res tracks look
suspiciously like CDs with a doubled sample rate.

take a look at this article before plunging into Hi-res audio

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Tidal and Qobuz do hi-res streaming and downloads as do Linn
and others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Neighbours had to send back two, to get a third working one, I haven't
heard the results.

it was never simple making a good sounding RIAA preamp.

Do that in software on the PC.

still got to do a proper input buffer-with-gain stage though.

As I vaguely understood it, it was necessary to do the correction in the
first stage for noise reasons. BICBW, and that might only have been a
practical limitation at the time.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/17 15:38, Tim Watts wrote:

Personally - I buy CDs and rip (carefully with software that retries
errors rather than skips), then encode lossless, plus a second max
bitrate MP3 for and devices that cannot handle lossless.

Same he FLAC for the Volumio Raspberry Pi and my Sandisk player, MP3
for the car.

Where we should be right now is being able to buy digital lossless media
at better than 44kHz sampling...

This article

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

is an interesting read on that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-01-17, Clive George wrote:
On 17/01/2017 15:38, Tim Watts wrote:

It makes me laugh when I see the vinyl record hipster stores - because
half the people buying vinyl probably have a POS toy turntable with a
cheap ceramic cartridge, unbalanced turntable with all the wow and
flutter possible, unbalanced arm and rubbish pre-amp.

I dunno - IME people who can be arsed with vinyl also tend to be arsed
about getting a decent amp/turntable/speakers.

[FX]Waves

I reckon the market is split: people who will go out and buy a
half-decent turntable etc (or better), and the ones doing it for fashion..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/01/17 16:54, RobertL wrote:
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 12:41:49 PM UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at Wow
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Are they rubbish - or isn't the medium selective enough for the cheap
mechanical features to matter?

I suspect they are rubbish, but I have wonderedthe same thing. I have a lot of LPs that i've not heard since I was young (1970s) and I also have the original GL75 turntable I used to play them on. My plan (one day) is to connect up the GL75 to a PC and make CDs of the vinyl. I actually want all the pops and crackles because I am so familiar with them and they will be part of the nostalgic experience.

Daft I know.

Robert

I can kind of see that, but I don't miss the pops/scratches. Any vinyl I
care about I've rebought on CD: CDs are pretty cheap now, compared to
the 80s.

JVC CA-UXP55 HIFI Problem Billy Brainstorm Electronics Repair 13 September 15th 12 06:02 PM
hifi/tv cabling VisionSet UK diy 1 July 22nd 06 06:32 PM
kenwood rxd 751 hifi Peter hancox Electronics Repair 2 February 28th 06 09:31 PM
NEC 6 head HiFi VCR Raymond Smith Electronics Repair 5 March 12th 05 05:45 AM
Is 130Deg F on the heatsink too hot for a HiFi amp ? Al Dykes Electronics Repair 5 July 6th 04 08:09 AM