Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HiFi (OT)

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
I haven't seen anyone comment on the USB sound card approach other
than to suggest 44,1kHz isn't enough. I'm in my 70th year so I doubt
than anything lost will be noticeable.

I'm really not sure about some of these low cost USB sound cards or indeed
much of the average PC on the sound side, when it comes to A to D
conversion, and the other way round.

I treated myself to a used one from one of the BBC redundant equipment
auctions. Fits a PCI slot on the desktop and has balanced in and out as
well as most digital. You can also set the sampling frequency, etc.

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm doing much the same as Anthony, further comments below:-

AnthonyL wrote:

My turntable is a Dual 1228 (c1974) with a Dynavector 20A cartridge.
I've got a Stanton cartridge but don't recall why I swapped it out.

My tunrtable is a Technics turntable (obtained free) and an Audio
Technica AT95E, a relatively 'economy' cartridge but still gets goods
reviews.

I'm in the midst of a slow processing of digitising all my analogue
and CDs. So far I've done all the reel to reel, cassettes and some
CDs. When I say "done" they are Audacity projects and not fully
labelled or output.

I've done all my CDs as they were easy and 'automatic'.

I have a USB sound card which is attached to the line out on the
amplifier, so anything that I play I can capture.

I have a Behringer A2D which plugs into USB, it has a phono amplifier
built-in which makes life simple.

I've not done any vinyl yet. I suspect that I'll need to wash quite a
few of them.

See Behringer above, I agree about washing, some of mine needed it.

I haven't seen anyone comment on the USB sound card approach other
than to suggest 44,1kHz isn't enough. I'm in my 70th year so I doubt
than anything lost will be noticeable.

Ditto (70 that is)! :-)

There seems to be a problem with Audacity outputting to AAC in that
the Artist tag goes missing which doesn't happen with mp3. I don't
think I can justify wav but I'll be keeping the Audacity project file
anyway.

I've stored eveything in FLAC, I use Audacity (on Linux) too.

Another issue I've noted is that the last track on some CDs goes
beyond the end of the music to the end of the disk giving me a big
file with much silence. Not sure if this is a CD problem or ripping
software problem.

I've not noticed that on my CDs.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 13:48:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:

I haven't seen anyone comment on the USB sound card approach other
than to suggest 44,1kHz isn't enough. I'm in my 70th year so I doubt
than anything lost will be noticeable.

Ditto (70 that is)! :-)

Wow that's a long time 70 years spent copying audio ;-)

Have you thought about checking youtube to see if there's a good enough version of the song there, I've done that a few times.
not sure on a PC I know you can add SS to the url so the youtube clip goes to an unsafe site where you can get it, or so I was told.
I think firefox has a plugin that can do the same.

I use clipgrab on the Mac then you can just convert it to whatever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/17 13:44, Chris Green wrote:

Another issue I've noted is that the last track on some CDs goes
beyond the end of the music to the end of the disk giving me a big
file with much silence. Not sure if this is a CD problem or ripping
software problem.

Some modern artists think it fun to include a very long final track on
their CDs with this silence, and then right at the end of it some hidden
moment of humor or start playing another untitled song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_track

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2017 15:49, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 13:48:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:

I haven't seen anyone comment on the USB sound card approach other
than to suggest 44,1kHz isn't enough. I'm in my 70th year so I doubt
than anything lost will be noticeable.

Ditto (70 that is)! :-)

Wow that's a long time 70 years spent copying audio ;-)

Have you thought about checking youtube to see if there's a good enough version of the song there

Look for the tracks on http://www.downloads-nl.net/mp3.html

(There are a couple of other sites - most have rips of the digital
versions.)

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 07:49:24 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 13:48:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:

I haven't seen anyone comment on the USB sound card approach other
than to suggest 44,1kHz isn't enough. I'm in my 70th year so I doubt
than anything lost will be noticeable.

Ditto (70 that is)! :-)

Wow that's a long time 70 years spent copying audio ;-)

It's passed quite quickly

Have you thought about checking youtube to see if there's a good enough version of the song there, I've done that a few times.
not sure on a PC I know you can add SS to the url so the youtube clip goes to an unsafe site where you can get it, or so I was told.
I think firefox has a plugin that can do the same.

Strangely for me it's not the same. It's my collection - some of the
tapes are recordings I've made or taken. Yes, logic would dictate
that going through everything I have and even paying for some would
make more sense. Still - each to his own.

I use clipgrab on the Mac then you can just convert it to whatever.

I thought everything was iTunes on Mac

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 16:39:41 +0000, Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

On 24/01/17 13:44, Chris Green wrote:

Another issue I've noted is that the last track on some CDs goes
beyond the end of the music to the end of the disk giving me a big
file with much silence. Not sure if this is a CD problem or ripping
software problem.

Some modern artists think it fun to include a very long final track on
their CDs with this silence, and then right at the end of it some hidden
moment of humor or start playing another untitled song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_track

Yes a young musician friend mentioned that - I'll double check though
I suspect they were cheaper CDs that weren't properly finalised.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Tuesday, 24 January 2017 13:48:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:

I haven't seen anyone comment on the USB sound card approach other
than to suggest 44,1kHz isn't enough. I'm in my 70th year so I doubt
than anything lost will be noticeable.

Ditto (70 that is)! :-)

Wow that's a long time 70 years spent copying audio ;-)

It's passed quite quickly

Have you thought about checking youtube to see if there's a good enough version of the song there, I've done that a few times.
not sure on a PC I know you can add SS to the url so the youtube clip goes to an unsafe site where you can get it, or so I was told.
I think firefox has a plugin that can do the same.

Strangely for me it's not the same. It's my collection - some of the
tapes are recordings I've made or taken.

yes I can understand that, bootlegs and live music but not much of what you've recorded will have been put on vinyl, but if you've brought the vinyl and someone has already put it on youtube is there really any point in doing it again for yourself. I gave that up after the hassle of converting a few vinyls to digital.
I did the same with a lot of my VHS putting them on to DVD, now I don;t even have a DVD player conencted to the TV most of what I watch/play etc.. is from USB or youtube.

Old Kirk star trek is far better on say CBS action and recorded than watching it on VHS tapes, I'm glad I didn't attempt to convert al those VHS to MP3s while deleting the ads.
Luckily I've aquired the episodes on HD as AVIs
I could have paid £125 for the recent special edition box set but I dp0n;t want or need the clutter of yet more 'stuff' same with teh syd barette early pink floyd colelction at £300+

Yes, logic would dictate
that going through everything I have and even paying for some would
make more sense. Still - each to his own.

Yep if you enjoy it and have the time most things are worth doing.

I use clipgrab on the Mac then you can just convert it to whatever.

I thought everything was iTunes on Mac

That's where things can be stored, I don't subscribe or use apple music or spotify or any of those services.
I had a virtual heart attact when I relised one erronous click subscribed me amazon prime half a dozen clicks later and I was unsubsribed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 05:32:26 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

====snip====

Like some people can see better and more gradients of colour
especially women it seems can better distinguish small differences in
shades of colours.

Considering the largely female readership of "Fifty Shades of Grey", I
find that rather surprising. You'd think a book called "A Thousand Shades
of Grey" would have been the more appealing title if that were true. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2017 10:04, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2017 08:20:23 +0000, RJH wrote:

On 23/01/2017 05:29, wrote:
On Monday, 23 January 2017 01:58:18 UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo
,
tabbypurr escribió:

It was an odd question.

By 'cartridge' I meant the stylus/needle, or whatever the correct term
is.

Generally, the user would replace the cartridge. Standard fit (1/2")
moving magnet cartridges from £20. Exceptions do exist - Dual, for
example, had a phase of using a form of cassette fitting. Even that
could be adapted to take the 1/2" standard.

I do remember, just, when replacing a stylus was quite common - but that
applied to ceramic type cartridges IIRC, and not many of those about
now.

No. I used to work in a place that sold a lot of cheap-to-medium hi-fi
(and some quite good stuff). We sold a *lot* of 'bare' styli, for all
sorts of cartridges from piezo up to moving iron.

Certainly 40 years back I remember display stands packed with styluses -
our family record player had a ceramic type, and that got through
relatively cheap needles every year or so.

Last time I looked at a couple of those USB turntables, they were
cartridge replacement - not stylus. The stylus could be replaced but was
not available as a separate part. But I do of course defer to someone
who actually does/did it for a living!

IME the price difference between a cartridge and a cartridge/stylus is
small - especially if the cartridge is manufacturer branded, and
internet shopping is factored in. So I tended to buy a cartridge. But as
people nowadays generally swap out the stylus when the time comes fine,
of course. Thanks for the correction.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 January 2017 23:49:47 UTC, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 05:32:26 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

====snip====

Like some people can see better and more gradients of colour
especially women it seems can better distinguish small differences in
shades of colours.

Considering the largely female readership of "Fifty Shades of Grey", I
find that rather surprising. You'd think a book called "A Thousand Shades
of Grey" would have been the more appealing title if that were true. :-)

True but it was a man that invented the black and white TV, he didn't say well I'll call TVs mulitiple shades of grey.
And men notice curtains, scatter cushions and throws, but who cares whteher they match or clash, they're only there to wipe your bogis on rather than flicking them at the cat or dog. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 02:52:24 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 30 January 2017 23:49:47 UTC, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 05:32:26 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

====snip====

Like some people can see better and more gradients of colour
especially women it seems can better distinguish small differences in
shades of colours.

Considering the largely female readership of "Fifty Shades of Grey", I
find that rather surprising. You'd think a book called "A Thousand
Shades of Grey" would have been the more appealing title if that were
true.

True but it was a man that invented the black and white TV, he didn't
say well I'll call TVs mulitiple shades of grey.

He might have.

I always refer to it as 'monochrome'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 14:03:00 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 02:52:24 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 30 January 2017 23:49:47 UTC, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 05:32:26 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

====snip====

Like some people can see better and more gradients of colour
especially women it seems can better distinguish small differences in
shades of colours.

Considering the largely female readership of "Fifty Shades of Grey", I
find that rather surprising. You'd think a book called "A Thousand
Shades of Grey" would have been the more appealing title if that were
true.

True but it was a man that invented the black and white TV, he didn't
say well I'll call TVs mulitiple shades of grey.

He might have.

Unlikely he actually named it.

I always refer to it as 'monochrome'.

TV licensing call it a Black and white TV licence

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/pay...ence/index.app

better not tell them you have a monochrome one they might ask for more money transmittiong those extra shades ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
And men notice curtains, scatter cushions and throws, but who cares
whteher they match or clash, they're only there to wipe your bogis on
rather than flicking them at the cat or dog. :-)

I've a feeling the majority of designers in stage film and TV are male.

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
True but it was a man that invented the black and white TV, he didn't
say well I'll call TVs mulitiple shades of grey.

He might have.

I always refer to it as 'monochrome'.

A picture consisting of only black or white might be somewhat restictive.
;-)

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
And men notice curtains, scatter cushions and throws, but who cares
whteher they match or clash, they're only there to wipe your bogis on
rather than flicking them at the cat or dog. :-)

I've a feeling the majority of designers in stage film and TV are male.

I've met a lot of female ones at the BBC

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 06:36:48 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

[...]

A commercial company who know very little.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 15:21:59 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
True but it was a man that invented the black and white TV, he didn't
say well I'll call TVs mulitiple shades of grey.

He might have.

I always refer to it as 'monochrome'.

A picture consisting of only black or white might be somewhat restictive.
;-)

a picture containing just two states sounds very limited doesnlt it, but it;s that how the original pictures were made up.
It's called digital you know just two states very limited.

when I was doing photography monochrome could be a sepia print or a blue print or a red print or a green print were all allowed in the monochrome or black and white section, not the colour section.

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
And men notice curtains, scatter cushions and throws, but who cares
whteher they match or clash, they're only there to wipe your bogis on
rather than flicking them at the cat or dog. :-)

I've a feeling the majority of designers in stage film and TV are male.

I was talking about in the home.
And all those male designers are most likely gay anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 15:18:57 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
True but it was a man that invented the black and white TV, he didn't
say well I'll call TVs mulitiple shades of grey.

He might have.

I always refer to it as 'monochrome'.

A picture consisting of only black or white might be somewhat
restictive.
;-)

Exactly. Cambridge Dictionary (to take but one example):

Monochrome: "using only black, white, and grey, or using only one
colour"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 15:27:58 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

But know more than you.
The term for images that was called grayscale NOT monochrome.
There's a differnce, as thre was no way to transmit a monochrome image of any other colour at the time.
TVs were sold as black and white because thats what they were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochrome

in case yuo don;t know white IS NOT a colour it is all colours reflected equally. Black is the absence of colour.

Monochrome[1] describes paintings, drawings, design, or photographs in one color or values of one color.[2] A monochromatic object or image reflects colors in shades of limited colors or hues. Images using only shades of grey (with or without black or white) are called grayscale or black-and-white.

Of course you could pain the cabnet red and call it a colour TV if yuo wished but that didn't fool many people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
And men notice curtains, scatter cushions and throws, but who cares
whteher they match or clash, they're only there to wipe your bogis on
rather than flicking them at the cat or dog. :-)

I've a feeling the majority of designers in stage film and TV are male.

I've met a lot of female ones at the BBC

Oh, indeed. But IMHO the majority are male. So not all males are colour
blind like Whisky Dave. ;-)

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

********.

--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
And men notice curtains, scatter cushions and throws, but who cares
whteher they match or clash, they're only there to wipe your bogis on
rather than flicking them at the cat or dog. :-)

I've a feeling the majority of designers in stage film and TV are male.

I was talking about in the home.
And all those male designers are most likely gay anyway.

Actually no more likely to be gay than other jobs in the meja.

--
*WHY ARE HEMORRHOIDS CALLED "HEMORRHOIDS" INSTEAD OF "ASTEROIDS"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 16:24:55 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
And men notice curtains, scatter cushions and throws, but who cares
whteher they match or clash, they're only there to wipe your bogis on
rather than flicking them at the cat or dog. :-)

I've a feeling the majority of designers in stage film and TV are male.

I was talking about in the home.
And all those male designers are most likely gay anyway.

Actually no more likely to be gay than other jobs in the meja.

yes they are.
There are jobs that gay men are more liekly to do than hetrosexual men.
Pretty easir to work out when you know a few gay men and how they are closer to women emotionally.
Male Nurses, male carers, male models, male cloth designers.
Male dancers.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
True but it was a man that invented the black and white TV, he didn't
say well I'll call TVs mulitiple shades of grey.

He might have.

I always refer to it as 'monochrome'.

A picture consisting of only black or white might be somewhat restictive.
;-)

That's what half tone is.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 16:24:55 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
And men notice curtains, scatter cushions and throws, but who cares
whteher they match or clash, they're only there to wipe your bogis on
rather than flicking them at the cat or dog. :-)

I've a feeling the majority of designers in stage film and TV are male.

I've met a lot of female ones at the BBC

Oh, indeed. But IMHO the majority are male. So not all males are colour
blind like Whisky Dave. ;-)

I'm not colour blind but women have in general better colour recognition apparenty it's down to the hunter gathers women doing the gathering needing to identify which fruits are ripe.
You might also note that in the animal kingdom the males are the more colourful and they use that to attract a female mate usually.
Now why would the male bother being brightley coloured and pretty ?

Now work out why humans have reveresed this and it's the women that traditionaly wear the makeup.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
But know more than you. The term for images that was called grayscale
NOT monochrome. There's a differnce, as thre was no way to transmit a
monochrome image of any other colour at the time. TVs were sold as black
and white because thats what they were.

No. That was simply the accepted name for them. They displayed greys
between black and white.

And very few indeed were black and white anyway. More black and blue.

--
*Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Actually no more likely to be gay than other jobs in the meja.

yes they are. There are jobs that gay men are more liekly to do than
hetrosexual men. Pretty easir to work out when you know a few gay men
and how they are closer to women emotionally. Male Nurses, male carers,
male models, male cloth designers. Male dancers.......

You've hit it on the nail, You know a *few* gay men.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/17 16:36, Max Demian wrote:
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
True but it was a man that invented the black and white TV, he didn't
say well I'll call TVs mulitiple shades of grey.

He might have.

I always refer to it as 'monochrome'.

A picture consisting of only black or white might be somewhat restictive.
;-)

That's what half tone is.

yebbut its spatially modulated...

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 16:52:41 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
But know more than you. The term for images that was called grayscale
NOT monochrome. There's a differnce, as thre was no way to transmit a
monochrome image of any other colour at the time. TVs were sold as black
and white because thats what they were.

No. That was simply the accepted name for them.

because that's what they were.

They displayed greys
between black and white.

and that is NOT monochrome.
A monochrome display can display colour but only one colour.
Remmebr the greem on black, the orange on black.
They were monochrome monitors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochrome
Monochrome[1] describes paintings, drawings, design, or photographs in one color or values of one color.[2] A monochromatic object or image reflects colors in shades of limited colors or hues. Images using only shades of grey (with or without black or white) are called grayscale or black-and-white. However, scientifically speaking, monochromatic light refers to visible light of a narrow band of wavelengths (see spectral color).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 16:52:42 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Actually no more likely to be gay than other jobs in the meja.

yes they are. There are jobs that gay men are more liekly to do than
hetrosexual men. Pretty easir to work out when you know a few gay men
and how they are closer to women emotionally. Male Nurses, male carers,
male models, male cloth designers. Male dancers.......

You've hit it on the nail, You know a *few* gay men.

Yep a few more than you.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
No. That was simply the accepted name for them.

because that's what they were.

They displayed greys
between black and white.

and that is NOT monochrome.
A monochrome display can display colour but only one colour.

Not a lot of use for a TV, then. A completely black (or white) screen.

Monochrome doesn't define the intensity of that colour. A bright red and a
dull red are still red.

The difference is an under saturated black has a specific name - grey.

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Actually no more likely to be gay than other jobs in the meja.

yes they are. There are jobs that gay men are more liekly to do than
hetrosexual men. Pretty easir to work out when you know a few gay
men and how they are closer to women emotionally. Male Nurses, male
carers, male models, male cloth designers. Male dancers.......

You've hit it on the nail, You know a *few* gay men.

Yep a few more than you.

That could well be. However, you didn't work in TV all your working life
like me. And I can assure you that the percentage of gay men working in
the design department was little different from the average.

Design in stage, TV and film is far more than just choosing the fluffy
cushions. It involves designing sets. More like an architect than anything
else.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 February 2017 14:05:22 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
No. That was simply the accepted name for them.

because that's what they were.

They displayed greys
between black and white.

and that is NOT monochrome.
A monochrome display can display colour but only one colour.

Not a lot of use for a TV, then.

that's why they aren't TVs

A completely black (or white) screen.

They should have been called greyscale

Monochrome doesn't define the intensity of that colour. A bright red and a
dull red are still red.

Yes and that is a monochrome display because it can only display one colour.
White is a mix of all colours, so NOT monochrome it's that simple.

thgat's why newspaper were in black and white and njot called coloured newspapers, until colour could be displayed.

The difference is an under saturated black has a specific name - grey.

Yep but it's not a colour that's why we have greyscale and NOT redscale or bluescale.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Actually no more likely to be gay than other jobs in the meja.

yes they are. There are jobs that gay men are more liekly to do than
hetrosexual men. Pretty easir to work out when you know a few gay
men and how they are closer to women emotionally. Male Nurses, male
carers, male models, male cloth designers. Male dancers.......

You've hit it on the nail, You know a *few* gay men.

Yep a few more than you.

That could well be. However, you didn't work in TV all your working life
like me. And I can assure you that the percentage of gay men working in
the design department was little different from the average.

working in TV in the middle agaes as you did doesn;t mean a lot as there weren't many gay men were there. Even Alan Turin wasn't gay or identified as gay by the masses at the time just like there;s few gay footballers.
Even in the 50s few outside the business knew Rock hudson was gay or that many of the actors were in fact gay, making it illegal to be gay didn't help you count them of course.
There are very few gay footballers even today, 10 years or so ago there wasn't any were there.

Design in stage, TV and film is far more than just choosing the fluffy
cushions. It involves designing sets. More like an architect than anything
else.

Gay people can be architects as can women, I went out with one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
Actually no more likely to be gay than other jobs in the meja.

yes they are. There are jobs that gay men are more liekly to do
than hetrosexual men. Pretty easir to work out when you know a
few gay men and how they are closer to women emotionally. Male
Nurses, male carers, male models, male cloth designers. Male
dancers.......

You've hit it on the nail, You know a *few* gay men.

Yep a few more than you.

That could well be. However, you didn't work in TV all your working
life like me. And I can assure you that the percentage of gay men
working in the design department was little different from the average.

working in TV in the middle agaes as you did doesn;t mean a lot as there
weren't many gay men were there.

Have you any figures which prove conclusively there were less homosexuals
at any particular point in time?

Even Alan Turin wasn't gay or
identified as gay by the masses at the time just like there;s few gay
footballers.

Ah. What you mean is there were many fewer who admitted to being
homosexual, or having homosexual feelings. A very different matter.

Even in the 50s few outside the business knew Rock hudson
was gay or that many of the actors were in fact gay, making it illegal
to be gay didn't help you count them of course. There are very few gay
footballers even today, 10 years or so ago there wasn't any were there.

Have you asked them all? Do they all know you well enough to be honest
with you?

Design in stage, TV and film is far more than just choosing the fluffy
cushions. It involves designing sets. More like an architect than
anything else.

Gay people can be architects as can women, I went out with one.

Precisely. You'll find homosexuals in all walks of life. But in some
professions can be more open about it.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 February 2017 15:38:45 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
Actually no more likely to be gay than other jobs in the meja.

yes they are. There are jobs that gay men are more liekly to do
than hetrosexual men. Pretty easir to work out when you know a
few gay men and how they are closer to women emotionally. Male
Nurses, male carers, male models, male cloth designers. Male
dancers.......

You've hit it on the nail, You know a *few* gay men.

Yep a few more than you.

That could well be. However, you didn't work in TV all your working
life like me. And I can assure you that the percentage of gay men
working in the design department was little different from the average.

working in TV in the middle agaes as you did doesn;t mean a lot as there
weren't many gay men were there.

Have you any figures which prove conclusively there were less homosexuals
at any particular point in time?

No, how would you get that info go back in time.
I'd have thought they'd be pretty much the same percentage wise, but if you make being gay illegal and punishable you might not get a very truthful responce from those you ask.

Even Alan Turin wasn't gay or
identified as gay by the masses at the time just like there;s few gay
footballers.

Ah. What you mean is there were many fewer who admitted to being
homosexual, or having homosexual feelings. A very different matter.

Well spotted.
You may have also found that during those times less people known about such things I have a friend tonight visiting, when we first met 1994 she was a girl,
she has had the hormones and everyone she meets assumes he is a male, then they work out he's a gay male. They have no idea he has a virgina.

Even in the 50s few outside the business knew Rock hudson
was gay or that many of the actors were in fact gay, making it illegal
to be gay didn't help you count them of course. There are very few gay
footballers even today, 10 years or so ago there wasn't any were there.

Have you asked them all? Do they all know you well enough to be honest
with you?

Nothing to do with me why come out to me.

Design in stage, TV and film is far more than just choosing the fluffy
cushions. It involves designing sets. More like an architect than
anything else.

Gay people can be architects as can women, I went out with one.

Precisely. You'll find homosexuals in all walks of life. But in some
professions can be more open about it.

and in some professions they are more attracted to.
why do you thin k it;s some why aren't all professions equal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

But it would be quite surprising if there wasn’t
some variation in what work they prefer to do.

But in some professions can be more open about it.

JVC CA-UXP55 HIFI Problem Billy Brainstorm Electronics Repair 13 September 15th 12 06:02 PM
hifi/tv cabling VisionSet UK diy 1 July 22nd 06 06:32 PM
kenwood rxd 751 hifi Peter hancox Electronics Repair 2 February 28th 06 09:31 PM
NEC 6 head HiFi VCR Raymond Smith Electronics Repair 5 March 12th 05 05:45 AM
Is 130Deg F on the heatsink too hot for a HiFi amp ? Al Dykes Electronics Repair 5 July 6th 04 08:09 AM