Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default HiFi (OT)

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 08:54:15 -0800 (PST), RobertL
wrote:
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 12:41:49 PM UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:

at one time with turntables we used to study specifications

looking at Wo=
and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Are they rubbish - or isn't the medium selective enough for the

cheap
mechanical features to matter?

I suspect they are rubbish, but I have wonderedthe same thing. I

have a lot=
of LPs that i've not heard since I was young (1970s) and I also

have the o=
riginal GL75 turntable I used to play them on. My plan (one day)

is to con=
nect up the GL75 to a PC and make CDs of the vinyl. I actually

want all t=
he pops and crackles because I am so familiar with them and they

will be pa=
rt of the nostalgic experience.

Some claim to play 78s with an appropriate stylus - they play at 45
RPM I think and post process the sound to get the pitch right.

--
Max Demian