Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HiFi (OT)

On Tuesday, 17 January 2017 14:28:30 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 17/01/2017 12:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
at one time with turntables we used to study specifications looking at
Wow and Flutter, Rumble and other characterisitics.

You can now buy a turntable for about £50 to output to a MP3 file.

Not worth it when you can just download an MP3. I consider it just a
legal to do so as recording the record. Neither will get you into
trouble.

is my entire LP collection available on MP3? even if it were, it would
cost me quite a lot to duplicate music that I already have.

I'm surprised by the number of folk who have got rid of their record
playing equipment,

I got rid of my Dual 505 turntable when it stopped working took it apart and the band had perished after just 30 years ! same with my cassette deck.
My NAD 3130 seems to only work on one channel, my mordn short speakers take up too much space and my only working bit of hifi is a graphic equaliser I only used when watching VHS films and music on VHS.
I still have most of this stuff just sitting in the loft incluing 2 VHS machines a Mac SE30 a Macplus a LC475 and quite a bit of other stuff that's of little use. I still have all my old vinyl a few feet in physical size.
Glad I kept it and didn;t through it all out years ag, only found out last year that I had a rae alladine sane gatefold with misprint.

Not something you can get with MP3s

but kept all their LPs.

I assume singles too.

My niece's hubby is one such.
Given how much space LPs take to store.

Well if it;s a collectable hobby collectign cars takes more space even if you've a thing about angle grinder they take up space too most hobbies to, look at all the wasted space taken up by books when you can have them in PDF or whatever.

He was apparently getting one of
these USB turntables for Xmas so he could digitize his LP collection.
I did say he could come here and do it properly. ;-)

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.