Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Humane way to repel mice (or big mouse trap)

I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them. Any
suggestions on how to repel them?

I've tried two different types of humane trap but neither caught a mouse.

--
James Harris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2016 17:50, James Harris wrote:

I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them. Any
suggestions on how to repel them?

As for why I only suspect there is a problem, and am not certain, is
that (1) I have seen what appeared to be droppings (matched against
pictures on the internet), (2) I've twice caught a fleeting glimpse in
the half-light of something which could have been a mouse - a fast
mouse!, and (3) I occasionally hear suspect noises. It makes me itch
just to think about it. :-(

--
James Harris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2016 17:50, James Harris wrote:

I've tried two different types of humane trap but neither caught a mouse.

I meant to add that the traps were quite small. I baited them with
peanut butter, peanuts, chocolate, cheese etc - but with no success. I
suspect the mice weren't prepared to squeeze themselves into the small
space that the shop-bought traps provided.

A better option may be a home-made trap.

--
James Harris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/11/2016 17:55, James Harris wrote:
On 19/11/2016 17:50, James Harris wrote:

I've tried two different types of humane trap but neither caught a mouse.

I meant to add that the traps were quite small. I baited them with
peanut butter, peanuts, chocolate, cheese etc - but with no success. I
suspect the mice weren't prepared to squeeze themselves into the small
space that the shop-bought traps provided.

A better option may be a home-made trap.

It's a mouse and it's a pest. Just kill it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 November 2016 17:50:46 UTC, James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them. Any
suggestions on how to repel them?

The humane way is to kill them quickly.

If you don't want to trap them, get a hungry cat.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 17:50:43 +0000, James Harris
wrote:

I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them. Any
suggestions on how to repel them?

I've tried two different types of humane trap but neither caught a
mouse.

Rentokil have some tips on deterring mice http://tinyurl.com/j9hu2jr

They also do a very effective humane trap http://tinyurl.com/jrlcafj
http://tinyurl.com/gtksngn and scroll down to Live Capture Mouse Trap.
But some words of advice: while they do work, and well, you must check
them at least once a day, preferably twice. I had one set up in an
empty property that was showing evidence of mice, and on one occasion
for various reasons I wasn't able to get to the trap for several days.
The poor little chap had died in the trap, soaked in his own urine. A
nasty death that I would have preferred to avoid. I've never used that
trap since, preferring the traditional spring-loaded instant skull
crusher / spine snapper. At least the mice don't suffer.

Had one sneaking about in the kitchen many years ago and put a snapper thing
down.
Found it dead with it's hand/paw in the trap. Heart attack I suspect.
I did not feel too very proud of myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Someone you seem to like taking info from reported me to the RSPCA for using humane traps and not emptying them fast enough, so the little ****s died of starvation/dehydration. Which is exactly what LEGAL rat poison does.

--
Silly laws in America:
A woman must not undress in front of a man's portrait.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

What are you talking about? I honestly have no idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes you do.

--
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Nope.
This is interesting Mr Hucker.
Please tell me more of your delusions. Or give me a clue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You can't be that dim.

--
Aisle oven ice bitters are chasm!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/16 17:50, James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them. Any
suggestions on how to repel them?

I've tried two different types of humane trap but neither caught a mouse.

Humane traps only work on Humans.

For mice,use a standard neck snapper. They are gone in an instant.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them. Any
suggestions on how to repel them?

I've tried two different types of humane trap but neither caught a
mouse.

I've tried to explain how to build one on newsgroups but never managed to
get anyone to comprehend.

here goes...

you need two plastic buckets, one must fit inside the other upside down,
that is, open end to open end, so that when one bucket is inside the other,
you have a sealed unit...the upper buckets bottom will be facing upwards
inside the lower bucket - this is the trap.
To get the mouse inside these two, you need to cut a mouse sized hole about
an inch up from the floor of the bottom bucket, then make a trigger. This is
a piece of 'V' shaped card, like a christmas card etc about 75mm square.
Inside the 'V' hinge, you apply your bait, - bacon rind works well - and you
place the trigger inside the bottom bucket farthest away from the entrance
hole. Put the two open ends of card against the wall and then place the
upper bucket resting on these two 'arms'. Mr mouse goes in through his
entrance hole, across to the card containing his lunch, he moves the card to
get his bacon butty and the upper bucket slides down trapping him inside.

You can easily tell when there's a mouse inside as the upper bucket has
dropped

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10qx...9#.WDC1ASlFm6Q

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Harris wrote

I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want
to kill them. Any suggestions on how to repel them?

There is no way to repel them effectively and
if there was, that would be inhumane anyway.

I've tried two different types of humane
trap but neither caught a mouse.

Just as true of the beastly ones that try to kill them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I know nothing about your mouse traps.
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Would you like to tell me who this person "I seem to like taking info from"
is?
If you wish you may email me. I'm really curious.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Suffer for a much shorter time, anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

[over there]

--
Hello, you have reached technical support.
Please dial 1 to report an issue, 2 to report a challenge, 3 to report a problem, or 4 to report a cockup.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Saturday, 19 November 2016 17:50:46 UTC, James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them. Any
suggestions on how to repel them?

The humane way is to kill them quickly.

If you don't want to trap them, get a hungry cat.

Cats dont kill them quickly even when hungry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
James Harris wrote:
[...]

Wot if the mouse is a claustrophobe ? Hardly humane in that case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

Hopefully the same thing will happen to you as happened to the cat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Saturday, 19 November 2016 17:50:46 UTC, James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them.
Any suggestions on how to repel them?

The humane way is to kill them quickly.

If you don't want to trap them, get a hungry cat.

Cats don't kill them quickly even when hungry.

Yes. Cats like to torture them.
I hate cats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 20:24:59 -0000, "Phil L"
wrote:

James Harris wrote:
[...]

This seems even simpler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABffYDM9EwU

Still not humane if the mouse is a claustrophobe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 21:38:04 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Saturday, 19 November 2016 17:50:46 UTC, James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them.
Any suggestions on how to repel them?

The humane way is to kill them quickly.

If you don't want to trap them, get a hungry cat.

Cats don't kill them quickly even when hungry.

Yes. Cats like to torture them.
I hate cats.

A cat torturing a mouse is a wonderful thing to watch.

--
A midget fortune-teller who escapes from prison is a small medium at large.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 21:38:04 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill

them.

The Rentokill tippy square tube live capture trap works but the
little buggers can get out and note about checking frequently. But
what do you do with live mouse in trap? Do you have a mouse cage to
put it and any others you catch? You *never* have A mouse. Then what
do you do with it? Releasing vermin is illegal, though the law is not
well defined. If you just take it out into your garden it'll probably
be back inside before you are. We live capture and used to release
100 m away down the in-bye, then we caught a mouse with a nick in one
of it's ears, we caught it again the next night and the next. After
that we took to deporting them up onto the fell a good few miles from
any habitation, they don't come back from there. I doubt many people
have a spot that is three miles from *any* habitation less than 5
miles away. B-)

Any suggestions on how to repel them?

Cat, for the last 7 years or so we had a cat and no mice (apart from
the ones she brought in and ate). A few months ago she lost an
argument with a car and now the weather has got colder the mice have
returned...

The humane way is to kill them quickly.

This is the best option for most people. Mice are destructive little
buggers that leak **** all the time. They leak **** to leave a sent
trail for other mice, or themselves, to follow.

If you don't want to trap them, get a hungry cat.

Cats don't kill them quickly even when hungry.

Yes. Cats like to torture them.

An over fed town cat might, our cat was a feral born farm cat who
adopted us. About 80% of anything she brought in was dead, 19%, so
badly hurt it could run and was was very soon dead. 1% alive enough
to run but cat was very patient and would catch and dispatch the
moment it re-showed itself. She might bat the corpse about a few
times but was far more interested in a snack.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 22:43:52 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 21:38:04 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill

them.

The Rentokill tippy square tube live capture trap works but the
little buggers can get out and note about checking frequently. But
what do you do with live mouse in trap? Do you have a mouse cage to
put it and any others you catch? You *never* have A mouse. Then what
do you do with it? Releasing vermin is illegal, though the law is not
well defined.

Never heard of that before. You're supposed to take them to the nearest woods. Although letting them slowly die in the trap is more satisfying.

If you just take it out into your garden it'll probably
be back inside before you are. We live capture and used to release
100 m away down the in-bye, then we caught a mouse with a nick in one
of it's ears, we caught it again the next night and the next. After
that we took to deporting them up onto the fell a good few miles from
any habitation, they don't come back from there. I doubt many people
have a spot that is three miles from *any* habitation less than 5
miles away. B-)

Machete.

Any suggestions on how to repel them?

Cat, for the last 7 years or so we had a cat and no mice (apart from
the ones she brought in and ate). A few months ago she lost an
argument with a car and now the weather has got colder the mice have
returned...

I have a video of one of mine juggling with a mouse. Quite amusing.

The humane way is to kill them quickly.

This is the best option for most people. Mice are destructive little
buggers that leak **** all the time. They leak **** to leave a sent
trail for other mice, or themselves, to follow.

If you don't want to trap them, get a hungry cat.

Cats don't kill them quickly even when hungry.

Yes. Cats like to torture them.

An over fed town cat might, our cat was a feral born farm cat who
adopted us. About 80% of anything she brought in was dead, 19%, so
badly hurt it could run and was was very soon dead. 1% alive enough
to run but cat was very patient and would catch and dispatch the
moment it re-showed itself. She might bat the corpse about a few
times but was far more interested in a snack.

Mine don't want to eat the mice. They give them to me as presents and probably think I convert them into cat food. Why would they want to have to remove the fur?

--
I came real close to seeing Elvis, then my shovel broke.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

It works.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/eng...ids/antifreeze

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 23:44:07 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

You must disguise the foul taste.

--
Definition of Necrophilia: That Uncontrollable Urge To Crack Open A Cold One.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 22:54:39 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Releasing vermin is illegal, though the law is not well defined.

Never heard of that before.

Suggest you google.

Mine don't want to eat the mice. They give them to me as presents and
probably think I convert them into cat food. Why would they want to
have to remove the fur?

A real cat eats pretty much the whole thing, fur, feathers, bones,
entrails the lot. That's what our cat did with whatever she caught
from baby rabbits to shrews via birds, voles, moles, mice and
stoats(!). I say pretty much as she never ate any of the shrews she
caught (apparently they don't taste nice), bird legs not worth the
effort and as she got older she got fussy and would leave tend to
leave the stomachs of any voles.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/16 23:44, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

That's nice, dear...

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/16 00:39, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 22:54:39 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Releasing vermin is illegal, though the law is not well defined.

Never heard of that before.

Suggest you google.

Mine don't want to eat the mice. They give them to me as presents and
probably think I convert them into cat food. Why would they want to
have to remove the fur?

A real cat eats pretty much the whole thing, fur, feathers, bones,
entrails the lot. That's what our cat did with whatever she caught
from baby rabbits to shrews via birds, voles, moles, mice and
stoats(!). I say pretty much as she never ate any of the shrews she
caught (apparently they don't taste nice), bird legs not worth the
effort and as she got older she got fussy and would leave tend to
leave the stomachs of any voles.

Stomachs and skulls left behind usually.

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential
survival, to indulging in navel gazing and faux moral investigations
into what the world ought to be, whilst we fail utterly to deal with
what it actually is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19-Nov-16 5:50 PM, James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them. Any
suggestions on how to repel them?

I've tried two different types of humane trap but neither caught a mouse.

They do work, but you need to place them where the mice run. If there is
no obvious run, a good place is along the base of a wall. You are also
more likely to be successful if you set several in different places. It
is a good idea to wear disposable gloves when setting the trap, to avoid
the possibility of them smelling of humans. As mentioned elsewhere, they
have to be checked frequently - every two hours is recommended, if not
always practical.

It also depends what type of mouse you have. The shop bought humane
traps are suitable for field mice, but I had to use a rat trap to catch
the much larger house mice. Not all rat traps are suitable, as mice can
get through the mesh on some.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

This seems even simpler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABffYDM9EwU

I like that, and the Mk II version

https://youtu.be/9MWGhn2u52Q

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/16 10:21, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

This seems even simpler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABffYDM9EwU

I like that, and the Mk II version

https://youtu.be/9MWGhn2u52Q

THIS is a proper trap..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89GNUnn-8KQ

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 09:39:22 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

They do work, but you need to place them where the mice run. If there is
no obvious run, a good place is along the base of a wall.

In a loft with insulation it can be right awkward to find them.
I found using one of those wildlife cameras sometimes called trap or
trail cameras very useful in finding where the pests moved about and
what their timetable was.
it shortened the time down to finding where they were gaining access
considerably so it could be blocked.

As I have two cameras one inside the loft showed roughly where a rat
was coming in and placing the other camera in the gutter pinpointed
the spot.
I dispatched that one as it came outside using air rifle then filled
the hole in the eave with foamed in wire wool.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
They do work, but you need to place them where the mice run. If there is
no obvious run, a good place is along the base of a wall. You are also
more likely to be successful if you set several in different places. It
is a good idea to wear disposable gloves when setting the trap, to avoid
the possibility of them smelling of humans.

Agreed. It's no good putting the trap down just anywhere - it needs to be
on a regularly used run. To find a run sprinkle a little flour where you
think it might be and next morning there will be footprints and possibly
little spots of caked flour due to a drop of mouse urine that they leak to
help them to find their way back in the dark. If not then hoover up and
try somewhere else.

We found that tube type humane mouse trap like the Rentokil Trap-ease
worked for us when we had a female car that regularly brought in mice in
to teach us (her "kittens") to catch them.

http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/im.../trap-ease.jpg

One place that we found a mouse nest was in the insulation around our
oven. After we cleared it out we fitted wire mesh under the oven.

Since the cat died 6 years ago we have not been troubled with mice in the
house.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

THIS is a proper trap..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89GNUnn-8KQ

If I was forced to live in a cave, I think mice would be the last of my
worries ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

THIS is a proper trap..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89GNUnn-8KQ

If I was forced to live in a cave, I think mice would be the last of my
worries ...

Last because they would be gnawing on your immobile body ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 00:39:34 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 22:54:39 -0000, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Releasing vermin is illegal, though the law is not well defined.

Never heard of that before.

Suggest you google.

Funny how everyone using humane traps releases them. You are not adding vermin, you are moving them, this cannot be illegal.

Mine don't want to eat the mice. They give them to me as presents and
probably think I convert them into cat food. Why would they want to
have to remove the fur?

A real cat eats pretty much the whole thing, fur, feathers, bones,
entrails the lot. That's what our cat did with whatever she caught
from baby rabbits to shrews via birds, voles, moles, mice and
stoats(!). I say pretty much as she never ate any of the shrews she
caught (apparently they don't taste nice), bird legs not worth the
effort and as she got older she got fussy and would leave tend to
leave the stomachs of any voles.

Mine are lazy.

--
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 01:22:35 -0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

I've never found a skull, but I have found tail and arse. Perhaps that end tastes bad.

--
After three years of marriage, Kim was still questioning her husband about his lurid past.
"C'mon, tell me," she asked for the thousandth time, "How many women have you slept with?"

strobe lights for attic to repel mice/squirrels [email protected] Home Repair 27 June 18th 18 10:44 PM
How can a mouse trap be tripped and no mouse? james Home Repair 56 June 19th 16 03:05 PM
humane mouse trap Graham.[_2_] UK diy 22 June 1st 12 11:05 PM
Computer Software Ultrasonic for mouse repel? Chris Home Repair 10 November 14th 07 08:47 PM
Safe and Humane Mouse Eradication Gary Brown Home Repair 24 August 13th 06 08:58 PM