Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Humane way to repel mice (or big mouse trap)

James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them. Any
suggestions on how to repel them?

I've tried two different types of humane trap but neither caught a mouse.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-HUMANE... QysF1vo-hM5bg

http://tinyurl.com/hkceedy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 9:38:09 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Saturday, 19 November 2016 17:50:46 UTC, James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them.
Any suggestions on how to repel them?

The humane way is to kill them quickly.

If you don't want to trap them, get a hungry cat.

Cats don't kill them quickly even when hungry.

Yes. Cats like to torture them.
I hate cats.

I once saw a cat on our lawn teasing a mouse. It would hold it down with its paw, then release it, let the mouse run a bit, then jump and catch it again. Unfortunately it got a bit blase, misjudged its leaping abilities, and the mouse disappeared under the garden shed, so now I know what an embarrassed cat looks like.

As for dealing with meeces, you can't beat a neck-breaker. They can still die in humane traps (hypothermia), only not so quickly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2016 18:44, ARW wrote:
On 19/11/2016 17:55, James Harris wrote:
On 19/11/2016 17:50, James Harris wrote:

I've tried two different types of humane trap but neither caught a
mouse.

I meant to add that the traps were quite small. I baited them with
peanut butter, peanuts, chocolate, cheese etc - but with no success. I
suspect the mice weren't prepared to squeeze themselves into the small
space that the shop-bought traps provided.

A better option may be a home-made trap.

It's a mouse and it's a pest. Just kill it.

Before you end up with dozens, inside your cavity walls,
ceiling voids and loft, dining on your electrical cables
and roofing felt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Saturday, 19 November 2016 17:50:46 UTC, James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them.
Any suggestions on how to repel them?

The humane way is to kill them quickly.

If you don't want to trap them, get a hungry cat.

Cats don't kill them quickly even when hungry.

Yes. Cats like to torture them.
I hate cats.

I once saw a cat on our lawn teasing a mouse. It would hold it down with its paw, then release it, let the mouse run a bit, then jump and catch it again. Unfortunately it got a bit blase, misjudged its leaping abilities, and the mouse disappeared under the garden shed, so now I know what an embarrassed cat looks like.

As for dealing with meeces, you can't beat a neck-breaker. They can still die in humane traps (hypothermia), only not so quickly.

Dehydration would come first I would think. Why would a humane trap make it any colder than what it was?

And isn't the whole point to make them die?

--
A patient tells the Doctor, "I've been going to a faith healer, but wasn't getting any better."
The Doctor smiled and said, "And what dumb advice did this phony give you?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/11/2016 15:51, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

THIS is a proper trap..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89GNUnn-8KQ

If I was forced to live in a cave, I think mice would be the last of my
worries ...

Think of it as a canape.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Being small, they lose body heat more quickly than larger animals, so either need to keep moving (and eating) or keep warm in a nest.

As for killing them, the point of a humane trap was not to kill them. I'm all for killing them, but I'd rather they died quickly than slowly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Since death is 1 billion times worse than torture, I don't really care how they get to not being alive.

--
The British government is going to impose a 40% tax on Aspirin.
"Why" you ask?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Can't they shiver? That makes the same heat as movement.

--
The British government is going to impose a 40% tax on Aspirin.
"Why" you ask?
Well, primarily because it's white and it works.

strobe lights for attic to repel mice/squirrels [email protected] Home Repair 27 June 18th 18 10:44 PM
How can a mouse trap be tripped and no mouse? james Home Repair 56 June 19th 16 03:05 PM
humane mouse trap Graham.[_2_] UK diy 22 June 1st 12 11:05 PM
Computer Software Ultrasonic for mouse repel? Chris Home Repair 10 November 14th 07 08:47 PM
Safe and Humane Mouse Eradication Gary Brown Home Repair 24 August 13th 06 08:58 PM