Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Humane way to repel mice (or big mouse trap)

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 21:30:12 -0000, Halmyre wrote:

On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 2:56:28 PM UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 08:17:41 -0000, Halmyre wrote:

On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 9:38:09 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
wrote in message
On Saturday, 19 November 2016 17:50:46 UTC, James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them.
Any suggestions on how to repel them?

The humane way is to kill them quickly.

If you don't want to trap them, get a hungry cat.

Cats don't kill them quickly even when hungry.

Yes. Cats like to torture them.
I hate cats.

I once saw a cat on our lawn teasing a mouse. It would hold it down with its paw, then release it, let the mouse run a bit, then jump and catch it again. Unfortunately it got a bit blase, misjudged its leaping abilities, and the mouse disappeared under the garden shed, so now I know what an embarrassed cat looks like.

As for dealing with meeces, you can't beat a neck-breaker. They can still die in humane traps (hypothermia), only not so quickly.

Dehydration would come first I would think. Why would a humane trap make it any colder than what it was?

And isn't the whole point to make them die?

Being small, they lose body heat more quickly than larger animals, so either need to keep moving (and eating) or keep warm in a nest.

Can't they shiver? That makes the same heat as movement.

--
The British government is going to impose a 40% tax on Aspirin.
"Why" you ask?