Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Humane way to repel mice (or big mouse trap)

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 20:24:59 -0000, "Phil L"
wrote:

James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them. Any
suggestions on how to repel them?

I've tried two different types of humane trap but neither caught a
mouse.

I've tried to explain how to build one on newsgroups but never managed to
get anyone to comprehend.

here goes...

you need two plastic buckets, one must fit inside the other upside down,
that is, open end to open end, so that when one bucket is inside the
other,
you have a sealed unit...the upper buckets bottom will be facing upwards
inside the lower bucket - this is the trap.
To get the mouse inside these two, you need to cut a mouse sized hole
about
an inch up from the floor of the bottom bucket, then make a trigger. This
is
a piece of 'V' shaped card, like a christmas card etc about 75mm square.
Inside the 'V' hinge, you apply your bait, - bacon rind works well - and
you
place the trigger inside the bottom bucket farthest away from the
entrance
hole. Put the two open ends of card against the wall and then place the
upper bucket resting on these two 'arms'. Mr mouse goes in through his
entrance hole, across to the card containing his lunch, he moves the card
get his bacon butty and the upper bucket slides down trapping him inside.

You can easily tell when there's a mouse inside as the upper bucket has
dropped

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10qx...9#.WDC1ASlFm6Q

This seems even simpler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABffYDM9EwU

Still not humane if the mouse is a claustrophobe.