Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Humane way to repel mice (or big mouse trap)

On 19-Nov-16 5:50 PM, James Harris wrote:
I suspect I have a problem with mice and don't want to kill them. Any
suggestions on how to repel them?

I've tried two different types of humane trap but neither caught a mouse.

They do work, but you need to place them where the mice run. If there is
no obvious run, a good place is along the base of a wall. You are also
more likely to be successful if you set several in different places. It
is a good idea to wear disposable gloves when setting the trap, to avoid
the possibility of them smelling of humans. As mentioned elsewhere, they
have to be checked frequently - every two hours is recommended, if not
always practical.

It also depends what type of mouse you have. The shop bought humane
traps are suitable for field mice, but I had to use a rat trap to catch
the much larger house mice. Not all rat traps are suitable, as mice can
get through the mesh on some.

Colin Bignell