Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bulbs

Y'know, when I was little, we had 60w bayonets and that was it, unless you decided to go mad and get a 100w bayonet. Now I actually need to have a written bulb inventory with which cap/type/wattage/clear/pearl/candle/halogen/cfl/led etc for each room. Jesus.

Anyway, I have just put up a new six-bulb ceiling lamp on the landing (reasons of design - I am just the labourer). It has six ses halogen clear candle 18w bulbs. That's 108w or 138w equivalent. It's a bit too bright. Does anyone know if I can get an ses clear candle filament (pref halogen) bulb with a lower wattage than 18w? I don't want to go down the LED filament route at this point as I'm not rich enough.

In this case Google is not my friend, it is a Moroccan street market trader who ignores what I say and tries to sell me what it has. "Less than 18w? Yes my friend, I have! Look! Yes, is 42w. 42w is better! Look it is good bulb and very cheap!"

All advice welcome. Even the advice to travel back in time and get a lamp with fewer than six bulbs...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David laid this down on his screen :
I don't want to go down the LED filament route at this point as I'm not
rich enough.

Take a look in the Pound shops, they are selling low wattage SES lamps
for a pound each. I have no idea of the ability to last, or quality,
just that I noticed they sell what you need.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David
wrote:
[...]

Fit a dimmer switch.

According to TLC's catalogue, 3w LEDs are 25% brighter than the halogen
ones you have.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
David laid this down on his screen :
I don't want to go down the LED filament route at this point as I'm
not rich enough.

Take a look in the Pound shops, they are selling low wattage SES lamps
for a pound each. I have no idea of the ability to last, or quality,
just that I noticed they sell what you need.

TLC sell low wattage standard tungsten lamps (25w) for 78p each!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
Anyway, I have just put up a new six-bulb ceiling lamp on the landing
(reasons of design - I am just the labourer). It has six ses halogen
clear candle 18w bulbs. That's 108w or 138w equivalent. It's a bit too
bright. Does anyone know if I can get an ses clear candle filament (pref
halogen) bulb with a lower wattage than 18w? I don't want to go down
the LED filament route at this point as I'm not rich enough.

Stick a diode in series with the fitting. That will take the edge of the
output. LED candle lights are about 5 times the price of halogen. I dunno
halogen candle lamps but if anything like the older tungsten variety
you'll get very used to fitting new ones.

--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 2:59:22 PM UTC, charles wrote:
[...]

Thanks. The dimmer switch was mentioned and is a good idea. The only reservation was that I remember them as a knob with push for on and off and turn for brightness. Is there such a thing as a "normal" switch with a variable setting for brightness??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 2:58:05 PM UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
David laid this down on his screen :
I don't want to go down the LED filament route at this point as I'm not
rich enough.

Take a look in the Pound shops, they are selling low wattage SES lamps
for a pound each. I have no idea of the ability to last, or quality,
just that I noticed they sell what you need.

Thanks - I'll check them out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/16 14:52, David wrote:
Y'know, when I was little, we had 60w bayonets and that was it,
unless you decided to go mad and get a 100w bayonet. Now I actually
need to have a written bulb inventory with which
cap/type/wattage/clear/pearl/candle/halogen/cfl/led etc for each
room. Jesus.

Yep.

I have installed every light in the house and managed to keep it down
to(!!!):

GU10s (3 in hall as night lights, super low power LEDs)
GU10s (lots, 2 bedrooms), open fitting, high power LEDs

4 BC lamps. 2 to be replaced with "fancy" fittings.

4 pin 2D fittings (4 off, but upgraded to Kosnic LED panels)

G4 lamps (bathroom), normal tungsten

SES (Table lamps, one bedroom)

One bloody R7s / 88mm (conservatory fan)

(To be installed)

Quite a bit of 24V LED tape in ali profiles - conservatory, bay window
lighting, outside lighting.

And that was starting out saying "I'm going to minimise the number of
types of lamp!!!!"

It's a nightmare, but as least I do have some common bases.

In reality, the downlights could just as easily be SES but some fool
thought GU10 bases were a good idea. Larger downlighters use ES, so why
not SES.

The R7s in the fan is a PITA as there are no good LEDs in 88mm format.
That could have just as easily been an SES lamp on its side - and indeed
some of the fans are. Just not the one SWMBO liked.

The bathroom is a bit special being 12V so I'm prepared to forgive that.

But really, ES and SES should be good enough for most indoor applications.

Anyway, I have just put up a new six-bulb ceiling lamp on the landing
(reasons of design - I am just the labourer). It has six ses halogen
clear candle 18w bulbs. That's 108w or 138w equivalent. It's a bit
too bright. Does anyone know if I can get an ses clear candle
filament (pref halogen) bulb with a lower wattage than 18w? I don't
want to go down the LED filament route at this point as I'm not rich
enough.

In this case Google is not my friend, it is a Moroccan street market
trader who ignores what I say and tries to sell me what it has. "Less
than 18w? Yes my friend, I have! Look! Yes, is 42w. 42w is better!
Look it is good bulb and very cheap!"

All advice welcome. Even the advice to travel back in time and get a
lamp with fewer than six bulbs...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But can be strange colours of course.
I'm not and have never been convinced that Halogen are anything but
unreliable current and tend to cook the sockets as well.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"charles" wrote in message
In article , David
wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well one thought occurred to me. Hide a patress box with a dimmer in it
above the lighting itself, adjust to suit and leave it on and set, using the
normal switch for the on and off.
Brian

--
----- -

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 7 November 2016 15:31:27 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
But can be strange colours of course.
I'm not and have never been convinced that Halogen are anything but
unreliable current and tend to cook the sockets as well.
Brian

Yes they do seem to get rather hot and give off a lot of heat they've made a brown/black mark on my ceiling which is another reason to stick to lower wattge or a dimmer.
If you're dimming LEDs get dimmable LEDs and a dimmer that can dim LEDs seems simple enough but you'd be suprised.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 3:21:23 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Stick a diode in series with the fitting. That will take the edge of the
output.

Might be a bit beyond me, but I'll have a look.
LED candle lights are about 5 times the price of halogen. I dunno
halogen candle lamps but if anything like the older tungsten variety
you'll get very used to fitting new ones.

We have six chandelier-style fittings. I am already used to buying bulbs in bulk...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 3:34:16 PM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well one thought occurred to me. Hide a patress box with a dimmer in it
above the lighting itself, adjust to suit and leave it on and set, using the
normal switch for the on and off.

Arrgghh - too late. Loft insulated and boarded...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2016 14:52, David wrote:
[...]

Paint some of the bulbs black.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Now I think about it, the bulb problem and the dimmer switch issue could be related. You could use the same (dimmable) bulb throughout the house with pre-set dimmer switches.

Anyone think there's a market for a normal-looking light switch with a dimmer pre-set adjusted with a small control (screwdriver slot?) on the face of the switch?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 7 November 2016 15:58:40 UTC, David wrote:
Now I think about it, the bulb problem and the dimmer switch issue could be related. You could use the same (dimmable) bulb throughout the house with pre-set dimmer switches.

Anyone think there's a market for a normal-looking light switch with a dimmer pre-set adjusted with a small control (screwdriver slot?) on the face of the switch?

Nah wait for the IoT version then you can set it via a phone while in another country :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 3:47:59 PM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
Paint some of the bulbs black.

I suspect that will be as popular as my suggestion of replacing a couple with those lovely red flicker flame bulbs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I know you said no LED, but these are only £1.99 clearance...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-candle...r-ses-2w/3455f

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
But can be strange colours of course.
I'm not and have never been convinced that Halogen are anything but
unreliable current and tend to cook the sockets as well.

Halogen replacements for the older tungsten are common these days. They
are easy to see (as it were) as usually contain the halogen capsule within
and ordinary glass envelope. Needed as the filament runs much hotter.
They consume less current than the equivalent tungsten hence 'allowed'. So
no reason they would 'cook' the socket, as being more efficient must
produce less heat.

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 3:21:23 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Stick a diode in series with the fitting. That will take the edge of
the output.

Might be a bit beyond me, but I'll have a look.
LED candle lights are about 5 times the price of halogen. I dunno
halogen candle lamps but if anything like the older tungsten variety
you'll get very used to fitting new ones.

We have six chandelier-style fittings. I am already used to buying
bulbs in bulk...

In which case would make a lot of sense to go LED. They should last a lot
longer as well as using less power.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David
wrote:
[...]

I have one of those, made by MK and fitted by me some 38 years ago - we've
been in this house 39 years. But not made these days.

What you could do is to use the MK Grid system and fit a standard switch in
one location and a dimmer in the other. You could always remove the dimmer
know and cut the spindel down to "nearly flush" and cut a screwriver slot
in the bit that's left.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 4:21:34 PM UTC, Syd Rumpo wrote:

I know you said no LED, but these are only £1.99 clearance...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-candle...r-ses-2w/3455f

Well at that price, you might as well buy 'em as not!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 3:21:23 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Stick a diode in series with the fitting. That will take the edge of
the output.

Might be a bit beyond me, but I'll have a look.
LED candle lights are about 5 times the price of halogen. I dunno
halogen candle lamps but if anything like the older tungsten variety
you'll get very used to fitting new ones.

We have six chandelier-style fittings. I am already used to buying
bulbs in bulk...

In which case would make a lot of sense to go LED. They should last a lot
longer as well as using less power.

but, according to the TLC catalogue they are 25% brighter the smallest
halogen. I might buy some myself next time round - I've 2 fittings, each
with 6 lamps. I've replaced 3 in the last month!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is your problem with a dimmer switch?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

never been convinced that Halogen are anything but
unreliable current and tend to cook the sockets as well

Thought they weren't good for dimmers, 1) you might not make much power
saving by dimming them and 2) if you run them too cool the halogens will
"coat" the inside of the capsule with silvery deposits?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Would this not make them flicker a bit?

Perhaps

Not to say it would load one mains
half cycle one would assume.

I think the grid can cope!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

In which case would make a lot of sense to go LED.

according to the TLC catalogue they are 25% brighter the smallest
halogen.

SF have some 1.7W SES LEDs 136 lumens each, so half a dozen should be
equivalent to about a 75W incandescent

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
David escribió:

Does anyone know
if I can get an ses clear candle filament (pref halogen) bulb with a lower
wattage than 18w?

Try thinking outside the box. Oven lamps? Cooker hood lamps? Pygmy
bulbs? All available in SES. Do they /have/ to be candle shaped?

Change the switch for a dimmer?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
[...]

Even you should have noticed that putting dead bulbs in some
would be easier. And just as chavvy to look at.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote

Now I think about it,

Dangerous business...

Can end in tears before bedtime.

the bulb problem and the dimmer switch issue could
be related. You could use the same (dimmable) bulb
throughout the house with pre-set dimmer switches.

Pretty expensive approach.

Anyone think there's a market for a normal-looking light
switch with a dimmer pre-set adjusted with a small control
(screwdriver slot?) on the face of the switch?

Corse there is a market for that, but not much of one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
David wrote

Now I think about it, the bulb problem and the dimmer switch
issue could be related. You could use the same (dimmable)
bulb throughout the house with pre-set dimmer switches.

Anyone think there's a market for a normal-looking
light switch with a dimmer pre-set adjusted with a
small control (screwdriver slot?) on the face of the switch?

Nah wait for the IoT version then you can set it via a phone while in
another country :-)

Not as silly as it sounds actually. Once you have bulbs that can be switched
on and off using the phone, and have the color anything you want set by
the phone app, doesnt cost any more to have the dimming done that way too.

And to have it programmed with different configs for say when watching TV
or cleaning the room at night, or to make the house look occupied why away
etc.

And with sensors so most of the time it switches automatically as you come
into the room and off when you leave the room for long enough too.

Corse dinosaurs like you will just sneer and keep furiously flicking
switches...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
But can be strange colours of course.
I'm not and have never been convinced that Halogen are anything but
unreliable current and tend to cook the sockets as well.

Halogen replacements for the older tungsten are common these days. They
are easy to see (as it were) as usually contain the halogen capsule within
and ordinary glass envelope. Needed as the filament runs much hotter.
They consume less current than the equivalent tungsten hence 'allowed'. So
no reason they would 'cook' the socket, as being more efficient must
produce less heat.

That last mangles the real story. Because they run much hotter, they heat
the socket more. They are more efficient because they run much hotter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 17:45:39 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

Would this not make them flicker a bit?

Perhaps

This was a fairly well known approach years back, there was a flicker
but I would guess that the type of filament used in halogens may
reduce the flicker to negligble levels.

Not to say it would load one mains
half cycle one would assume.

I think the grid can cope!

Assuming you take the positive half cycle in one room, stick the same
arrangement in another room and stick the diode in the other way so
the current is passed on the negative swing.

Peace happiness and much serenity back in the power station :-)

Incidentally another trick was a "wattless dropper" . I doubt that the
capacitor would fit in the switch box though. One could of course bung
it in a jam jar on a small shelf by the side of the switch.

AB

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2016 16:55, David wrote:
On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 4:21:34 PM UTC, Syd Rumpo wrote:

I know you said no LED, but these are only £1.99 clearance...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-candle...r-ses-2w/3455f

Well at that price, you might as well buy 'em as not!

David

I did = for outside lamps.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 7 November 2016 20:06:12 UTC, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Incidentally another trick was a "wattless dropper" . I doubt that the
capacitor would fit in the switch box though. One could of course bung
it in a jam jar on a small shelf by the side of the switch.

We have our witless dripper here, Mr Rodney. If only he fitted in a jamjar.

Another option not mentioned is to switch only 3 of the bulbs on at once. One seldom seems such a setup now.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You can get G9 to SES adapters with a candle cover
You can get G9 halogen 5W bulbs

I've used this arrangement in the past but the life of the G9 bulb is
around 1000 to 5000 hours.

Factor in the cost for the adapters + G9 halogen bulb you may as well go
for LED

Screwfix have 5W LED candle (35W/40W equivalent) for under £2
Toolsatan have 3W/3.5W LED candle (20W equivalent) for around £2.70
Ebay sellers have 3W LED candle for around £1 if you buy 6

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2016 15:45, David wrote:
On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 3:34:16 PM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well one thought occurred to me. Hide a patress box with a dimmer in it
above the lighting itself, adjust to suit and leave it on and set, using the
normal switch for the on and off.

Arrgghh - too late. Loft insulated and boarded...

Include a single rectifier diode in the switched live. That will run the
filament lamps half wave rectified - much lower brightness.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2016 15:42, David wrote:
On Monday, November 7, 2016 at 3:21:23 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Stick a diode in series with the fitting. That will take the edge of the
output.

Might be a bit beyond me, but I'll have a look.
LED candle lights are about 5 times the price of halogen. I dunno
halogen candle lamps but if anything like the older tungsten variety
you'll get very used to fitting new ones.

We have six chandelier-style fittings. I am already used to buying bulbs in bulk...

Something like:

https://trade.ledhut.co.uk/led-bulbs...-led-bulb.html

(£3.39 - may cost a bit more than a filament, but each one will be paid
for in saved electricity in a month)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2016 17:44, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

never been convinced that Halogen are anything but
unreliable current and tend to cook the sockets as well

Thought they weren't good for dimmers, 1) you might not make much power
saving by dimming them and 2) if you run them too cool the halogens will
"coat" the inside of the capsule with silvery deposits?

The halogen cycle requires the envelope run hot enough to work, but a
small amount of (visible) dimming does not drop the power dissipation
that much.

--
Cheers,

John.