Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Bulbs

But can be strange colours of course.
I'm not and have never been convinced that Halogen are anything but
unreliable current and tend to cook the sockets as well.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"charles" wrote in message
In article , David
wrote:
Y'know, when I was little, we had 60w bayonets and that was it, unless
you decided to go mad and get a 100w bayonet. Now I actually need to
have a written bulb inventory with which
cap/type/wattage/clear/pearl/candle/halogen/cfl/led etc for each room.
Jesus.

Anyway, I have just put up a new six-bulb ceiling lamp on the landing
(reasons of design - I am just the labourer). It has six ses halogen
clear candle 18w bulbs. That's 108w or 138w equivalent. It's a bit too
bright. Does anyone know if I can get an ses clear candle filament (pref
halogen) bulb with a lower wattage than 18w? I don't want to go down the
LED filament route at this point as I'm not rich enough.

In this case Google is not my friend, it is a Moroccan street market
trader who ignores what I say and tries to sell me what it has. "Less
than 18w? Yes my friend, I have! Look! Yes, is 42w. 42w is better! Look
it is good bulb and very cheap!"

All advice welcome. Even the advice to travel back in time and get a
lamp with fewer than six bulbs..

Fit a dimmer switch.

According to TLC's catalogue, 3w LEDs are 25% brighter than the halogen
ones you have.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England